Burmester 911 mk3

Are all Burmester amps Class AB

Yes .. Bias is such that they remain in Class A for a good portion of their operation... 911 MKIII for example remains in Class A up to 30 watts. No Burmester I know is pure Class A. I don't thik they've produced a pure class A amp.

I was just re-reading this whole thread. Ok, I don't for a moment doubt that Burmester 911Mk3 is a great amp. But the way that it is being talked about here gives me the impression that it is the be-all and end-all amp of amps, devoid of any weakness whatsoever. Can this be? Surely there's some trade-off somewhere? For example, my $20k Meridian 808.3, as excellent as it is, cannot match my $8k Esoteric X-03 SE in terms of bottom-end realism. But the strengths of the Meridian overcome its trade-off, hence I enjoy it more than the Esoteric. So my point is: does the performance of 911Mk3 really exceed the performance of every other amp that exist in the market, regardless of price?

... does the performance of 911Mk3 really exceed the performance of every other amp that exist in the market, regardless of price?

As an estimator of the Burmester brand, I would say that just a fan-boy would answer "yes" to your question.
In the end, setting up a system is a matter of harmony among the components and tastes.

While someone could find the 911 simply perfect, he should acknowledge that certain set-ups may need more power, or some SET esoteric realizations, or full class-A.

If you exclude the relevance of the price, then, LOTS of brands gained tremendous reputation among audiophiles and reviewers.
Just think about what you may read regarding brands such as Gryphon, Soulution, Dartzeel or FM Acoustics (just to stay in Europe...), or Zanden, Wavac, Balabo, Technical Brain, and so on... ;)

. So my point is: does the performance of 911Mk3 really exceed the performance of every other amp that exist in the market, regardless of price?

I think Burmester owners are just a little more passionate about their gear and the Burmester sound does indeed stir up one's emotions.

I think Burmester owners are just a little more passionate about their gear and the Burmester sound does indeed stir up one's emotions.

AND truth to be told the 911 MK3 is an exceptional amplifier and has been so for a long while. Is it the best amplifier on the planet? I don't know, don't think so , for one, there is the 909 :)... is it one of the best? You bet it is.

There is no such thing the a 'best' amplifier in the world. Can you name the 'best' car, bottle of wine, or supermodel?

I think what you can say is that does exceptionally well on a multitude of aspects of musical playback making it a very balanced and rounded amplifier and this appeals to a large group of people. You can probably find amps that do different things better. Maybe one or several of these aspects are more important to you making those amps better choices.

...Just like McIntosh amps, or Quad amps, or Lamm amps, or Classe amps owners. :b

Well, my 911 MK3 is honored to be is such rarified company. Now, are we talking about sound quality also? :)

AND truth to be told the 911 MK3 is an exceptional amplifier and has been so for a long while. Is it the best amplifier on the planet? I don't know, don't think so , for one, there is the 909 :)... is it one of the best? You bet it is.

Frantz,

An intelligent answer. But now imagine that someone asks you to nominate a power amplifier that you think that it is better than the 909. Do you know of anyone? :)

Frantz,

An intelligent answer. But now imagine that someone asks you to nominate a power amplifier that you think that it is better than the 909. Do you know of anyone? :)

Why don't you go back auditioning the Aida :mad: :D

Seriously ... Once I discovered the Burmester approach to Sound reproduction I was hooked and my subsequent auditions haven't convinced that there was something out there that surpass them IMHO of course... Some do approach or are their equals IME ... I could live with some Spectral amplifiers or the Edge gears or the Joule Electa ( I know they're tubes but they're OTL and as seductive as anything I have heard, think tubes but extension at the frequency extremes), I also like the Dar Tzeel 108 and the Bryston 28B monos ... I did hear briefly the Soulution and found them very, very similar in sound to the extent that I would not choose between the two that easily and frankly for the price of the Soulution, I am not sure I would care... I have a preset limit anyway :) my money would have gone to Burmester...

To repeat myself the 911 and 909 are superior electronics in more than one way. THey are not one-trick ponies.. They are good across the Audio spectrum... with a midrang the better tubes would envy and of course extension I have yet to hear from any tubes and the dynamic capacity of these amps is to my experience at an exhalted level inhabited by very few electronics be they tubes or SS ...

let another member enrapture him. :b

Be careful, I think in some states "enrapture" is illegal and carries a 20 year minimum. :)

Why don't you go back auditioning the Aida :mad: :D

Seriously ... Once I discovered the Burmester approach to Sound reproduction I was hooked and my subsequent auditions haven't convinced that there was something out there that surpass them IMHO of course... Some do approach or are their equals IME ... I could live with some Spectral amplifiers or the Edge gears or the Joule Electa ( I know they're tubes but they're OTL and as seductive as anything I have heard, think tubes but extension at the frequency extremes), I also like the Dar Tzeel 108 and the Bryston 28B monos ... I did hear briefly the Soulution and found them very, very similar in sound to the extent that I would not choose between the two that easily and frankly for the price of the Soulution, I am not sure I would care... I have a preset limit anyway :) my money would have gone to Burmester...

To repeat myself the 911 and 909 are superior electronics in more than one way. THey are not one-trick ponies.. They are good across the Audio spectrum... with a midrang the better tubes would envy and of course extension I have yet to hear from any tubes and the dynamic capacity of these amps is to my experience at an exhalted level inhabited by very few electronics be they tubes or SS ...

Frantz,

You can be assured that I hope someday I will be able to listen to the 911 in the Aida's ... Specially because you know how to persuade me: "with a midrang the better tubes would envy". ;)

Do you know if t there is a big difference between the 911 mk2 and mk3? Perhaps I could borrow a mk2 to listen. But I am not sure I could extrapolate the sound of the mk3 from an audition with the mk3.

And yes, they are sounding better every day.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing