budget-but-quality active line-stage $1,000 or less?

TerryNYC

Mar 15, 2013
NYC
Looking around the least expensive high-quality non-DIY active preamps I've found are:
* Cambridge Audio DAC Magic Plus $599
* Emotiva XDA-2 w/ DAC $399

Both are very good & very good value however does anyone know of a high quality active analog line-stage (no phono needed) with a very good (Alps or similar) attenuator for $1,000 or less (new only)?

Thank you,
Terry

TerryNYC

Mar 15, 2013
NYC
Theophile, thanks for the heads up. Interesting & I think a clever design; I'll google for test measurements. Sounds as though you are quite happy with it. What type of guitar do you play? best, Terry

theophile

Theophile, thanks for the heads up. Interesting & I think a clever design; I'll google for test measurements. Sounds as though you are quite happy with it. What type of guitar do you play? best, Terry

Terry, there is virtually no information about The Truth anywhere. Not even on the Hornshoppe website (which is ridiculous). I don't play the guitar. I learnt piano and brass instruments as a youth, but stopped all that to devote myself to surfboard riding. The fellow in my avatar starred in in a TV series which began "Faster than a speeding bullet....".

TerryNYC

Mar 15, 2013
NYC
Too funny, well how often are you mistaken for Superman? Too bad about the specs. I looked at the website and just assumed some technical reviewer somewhere would have put this on a bench because it does seem very clever.

theophile

Terry, The Truth is incredible sounding. I'd love to hear it in a system with a State Of The Art source component. It is very indicative of what is being fed into it. Seriously simple. Seriously effective.

TerryNYC

Mar 15, 2013
NYC
From the description it seems as though it would. However I'm researching products for a definitive history of modern design. The standard histories have shortcomings I plan to address. The worst area is consumer electronics, particularly audio. Any products I include must have substantial engineering documentation, so I'm afraid the Truth is off the list. When I can I'll run the design by an EE who is occasionally coaching me and see what he thinks about the electronic design concept although he will not be familiar with the implementation. Thanks again.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Looking around the least expensive high-quality non-DIY active preamps I've found are:
* Cambridge Audio DAC Magic Plus $599
* Emotiva XDA-2 w/ DAC $399

Both are very good & very good value however does anyone know of a high quality active analog line-stage (no phono needed) with a very good (Alps or similar) attenuator for $1,000 or less (new only)?

Thank you,
Terry

For me, easy answer. The Belles Soloist 3. Just phenomenal. Around a grand:

http://powermodules.com/s-3pre.html

I reviewed it and bought the review sample.

http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-preamplifiers/stereo-preamps/belles-soloist-3-preamplifier.html

belles-soloist-3-pre-amplifier.jpg

TerryNYC

Mar 15, 2013
NYC
Andre,

Thank you! This unit is actually in my database however I completely forgot that it was such an excellent value. I'm going to move it to the correct group right now before I've had a chance to forget.

Best,
Terry

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Andre,

Thank you! This unit is actually in my database however I completely forgot that it was such an excellent value. I'm going to move it to the correct group right now before I've had a chance to forget.

Best,
Terry

My pleasure. Happy hunting!

TerryNYC

Mar 15, 2013
NYC
Actually not hunting as I have a Meridian preamp. I'm writing a history of modern design that differs significantly from the standard texts. Functionality takes precedence over appearance. The standard texts are particularly deficient in consumer electronics and just awful in high fidelity product coverage. I am rectifying this. The subsection in my work that covers audio runs across roughly 1930 - 2010 and the primary functionality criteria is "is it accurate thus truly high-fidelity". I'm being extremely diligent & completist about product research because my predecessors were not.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Actually not hunting as I have a Meridian preamp. I'm writing a history of modern design that differs significantly from the standard texts. Functionality takes precedence over appearance. The standard texts are particularly deficient in consumer electronics and just awful in high fidelity product coverage. I am rectifying this. The subsection in my work that covers audio runs across roughly 1930 - 2010 and the primary functionality criteria is "is it accurate thus truly high-fidelity". I'm being extremely diligent & completist about product research because my predecessors were not.

Oh cool. Sounds like a big project. Enjoy!

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
My previous preamp was an Audio Research LS-3 which can be found for around $600-700 used. Sounds very good for the money. Very well made.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing