Biamp question

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
From my point of view it is hard to achieve full driver integration and coherence when using a speaker which has active woofer/subwoofer. no matter how you set the controls (crossover frquency, level, etc) I always feel like something not quite right. Never cohearent like a full passive speaker.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
From my point of view it is hard to achieve full driver integration and coherence when using a speaker which has active woofer/subwoofer. no matter how you set the controls (crossover frquency, level, etc) I always feel like something not quite right. Never cohearent like a full passive speaker.
Everything has to be right ! But it can be done in some cases. When things are not perfect i prefer running passive too. But when i use my speakers full-range passive these days a lot of the information about room boundaries and the deepest bass details disappear, dynamics are clearly better with sub-towers in play also, but it took 4 different crossovers , 5 different sets of amps and years of adjusting both placement and settings to get it right! o_O

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Everything has to be right ! But it can be done in some cases. When things are not perfect i prefer running passive too. But when i use my speakers full-range passive these days a lot of the information about room boundaries and the deepest bass details disappear, dynamics are clearly better with sub-towers in play also, but it took 4 different crossovers , 5 different sets of amps and years of adjusting both placement and settings to get it right! o_O
I meant speakers with embedded amplifier which almost always drives woofer/subwoofer. you are more like commenting about biamping or triamping of naturally passive speakers which I have no objection.

Reactions: Lagonda

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
As @Solypsa mentioned earlier that’s not always true. Occasionally I’m digitally preparing/mastering records to be released on vinyl and sometimes I prepare master from an old record if master tape is lost. I’ve come across lots of records that bass was panned to one side rather than center.
Yes, some old records have bass at a side not in center for Exsample "Oscar Peterson we get requests"thats sounds strange with one woofer;)
Nevertheless, it is a mono composite signal,because the side groove of the lp does not have enough space for a stereo bass signal. the riaa characteristic is used to amplify the bass by 20db in order to keep the displacement of the stylus small.
I listen with a partially active system, a passive coax speaker and an active woofer class d amp 80hz/ 24db mini dsp in the moment .
works great in my ears.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
You do have to be careful with excursion in the vertical cut...but if a bass player is panned left or right on an lp this proves the vertical cut contains bass information. I am just commenting because I like vinyl mastering ( and used to do it ) not to contend your initial point ;) . In practical terms I think mono subs and even distributed mono sub arrays can be a smart idea because of how they can be good for room acoustic issues IF the crossover is kept really low. Depending on slope this can mean as low as 40hz but 80hz maybe at the most ... imho

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing