Best Volume Control

analogsa

Apr 15, 2017
Cascais
The main reason I post here is the experts can let me know if o go with a Prima Luna evo 300 preamp will i notice lack of transparency compare to pre amps that use ladder resistors.

In the context of this pre the Alps is just fine. Unless your power amp has very high gain or your speakers are very sensitive and channel balance becomes an issue there is little point improving it.

Reactions: denimhunter

flm09

May 1, 2020
In the context of this pre the Alps is just fine. Unless your power amp has very high gain or your speakers are very sensitive and channel balance becomes an issue there is little point improving it.

Ok thanks Analogsa! Do you know of any other preamp better at this price point?

Jamesdonahue

Apr 18, 2019
The Allnic stuff seems to me to have a great volume control
itis custom made by Kang Su . and features a “constant impedance” attenuator that is is not found I any other components be fantastic. With none of the diiferences in timbre created by the volum setting

w my Pass labs xa30.8 it works as well of not easily better anything I have had in my set up
w the xa 25 it was SCARILY TRANSPARENT.

flm09

May 1, 2020
But I need some brown sugar! Too transparent and clean is no good too. I need tonal richness and body as well. I really like the Allnic volume attenuator probably SOTA. Not crazy about the tubes used and not fully rectified but he is transformer coupled rather than caps. Can you say it is a warm & mellow sounding unit like they say in the reviews? Does it sound like a Shindo Aurieges or Monbrison? Thanks!

flm09

May 1, 2020
Btw i may just get the Prima Luna Evo 300 for simplicity sake! What you think?

Reactions: paolo

Jamesdonahue

Apr 18, 2019
I can assure you Allnic and MOST ANY other stuff will run circles around primaluna. It is slow and boring. It is limp. It has no attack. No dynamics. No bottom. No separation it WAS hifi for the proletariat. But NOW way way over priced

flm09

May 1, 2020
Ues
I can assure you Allnic and MOST ANY other stuff will run circles around primaluna. It is slow and boring. It is limp. It has no attack. No dynamics. No bottom. No separation it WAS hifi for the proletariat. But NOW way way over priced

Yes i agree with some of what you say. In my system the speed was adequate and bass full. What bothered me about the Prima Luna was it was a bit lean and bright in my system. Keep in mine I am using the stock tubes. I've heard Cayin El-34 and it has a smoother textured sound. Hope I made the right decision. The Cayin was reviewed in Stereophile a few yrs back. I hope to gain more tonal beauty and hear all the details of the human voice. For example the Pass xa25 was smooth but couldn't present the mouth movements and breaths of the singer as well as the tube amp and songs which i didn't understand the words to suddenly became clear and dont have to google the lyrics. Pass xa25 actually was a bit more holographic and the tube amp a bit more diffuse. Also the tube amp was more emotional though.

SeagoatLeo

Feb 23, 2015
Btw i may just get the Prima Luna Evo 300 for simplicity sake! What you think?
Wow, the Prima Luna sounds worse than my old EAR 864 with a Mullard 4004 and RCA clear-top 12AU7 in the line stage. That pre-amp had tremendous slam in the bass, linear frequency response, great separation. I stopped using it about 15 years ago when my current custom pre-amp has superior harmonics but just lacks the bass slam/transient speed on the bottom. A trade-off. I was considering the Prima Luna with a Zesto phono stage. I guess not then on the Prima Luna.

ArnoFenn

Oct 28, 2020
IMG_1047.jpg

I made a stepped version (still in progress on the pic) and selected the resistors to have small enough steps as well as keeping the load resistance for the input/driving side at a constant value. Switch is Shallco 4 decks, unfortunately the motor with IR control on the back could not handle it so have to get up to adjust the volume (but that's just a small offer compared to what you get ;-) )

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
Ultimately, all we're left with is anecdotal information with endless relative factors- and the expectation, "hope", that the provider of said information is of good faith and capable of at least a reasonable amount of "objectivity."

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
Pompous, elitist, and completely unsubstantiated. One might think @Jamesdonahue has an agenda of one kind or another. BTW, "MOST ANY" is incorrect on more than one level.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Khozmo Poti..for me the Best

Reactions: MarcelNL

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing