Best Speaker Direction??

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Are you in Boston?
No, that would be my partner, Fred Crane of Audio Prana whom I believe you spoke with this week:)

Chorus

Nov 13, 2017
Phoenix
G- ManNorth of LA by about how much? I can get there in 6 1/2 hours.

ANut- I found that funny.

Grem- Devore, like AudioNote like Fredo are dead to me .. Need sparkle. Why I sold Tannoys.

So now my consideration list has morphed considerably to:

-Troel- Purifi 6661-$4k + Box cost $2.5? 30 days out + box build time.
-Dutch & Dutch 8c-used $10.0 -Would sell Pass 25INT & find preamp. A week out
-ATC 40 passive -used $4.5- Would require different amp. I can pickup tomorrow
-Salk BePure 2-new $6.2- 4 months out
-Kaos Vox 3-new $6.5 3+ months out

How does that look???

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
I am south of LA by 45 minutes. Dutch and Dutch and ATC monitors are quite different than vox 3a. There is a pair of Vox3a at colleagues of mine in SF currently. Let me know if you are willing to make the trip to demo before pulling the trigger on something different.

Forgot to ask but your note about a possible need for amplifier changes reminded me. What amplifier are you currently running?

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
I am south of LA by 45 minutes. Dutch and Dutch and ATC monitors are quite different than vox 3a. There is a pair of Vox3a at colleagues of mine in SF currently. Let me know if you are willing to make the trip to demo before pulling the trigger on something different.

Forgot to ask but your note about a possible need for amplifier changes reminded me. What amplifier are you currently running?
Apoligies Chorus, I believe it's the ferrite magnet model 3A not 3F in SF. The base model you noted.

Chorus

Nov 13, 2017
Phoenix
Gleed- Is there a stocking retailer for the Kaos line in the Bay Area? If not I might be able to get you demo at one. Old Buddy at Music Lovers.

My gear-Pass Labs INT25, ANK 4.1x DAC, Innuos Zen 3 Steamer/store/rips. Uptone Audio Etherregen, Balance Power Transformer.
REL 5X sub.Two dedicated 20 amp a/c lines. Blah, Blah, Blah.

Attachments

• IMG_0069.jpg
    IMG_0069.jpg
    682.8 KB · Views: 5

Chorus

Nov 13, 2017
Phoenix
Gleeds- So you are in either Newport of Laguna I take it.
I stay with family in Palos Verdes Peninsula.
I may drive over tomorrow as there are somethings
I want to see. Would Monday be a time for listen?

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
I am in Newport and you are most welcome anytime!

The pair I mentioned are in Palo Alto at an amplifier manufacturer I do business with that also has a long relationship with Sound Kaos. My showroom pair of Sound Kaos won't arrive until after HE Munich 2022, perhaps in June.

I suggested Palo Alto because you seemed eager to hear them :) If a trip to the Bay area is inconvenient I'll go one step further and offer to bring a pair to your place in Arizona. My sons' new in-laws live in Tuscon and he keeps prodding me to come and play a round of golf so he can take my money:)

Unless I missed it in an earlier post I would love to know what amplifier you're currently using?

Gary

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
I'll be bringing a pair home early next week most likely. It didn't happen this weekend. But soon the 30 day demo period will begin.
Thanks.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
I am in Newport and you are most welcome anytime!

The pair I mentioned are in Palo Alto at an amplifier manufacturer I do business with that also has a long relationship with Sound Kaos. My showroom pair of Sound Kaos won't arrive until after HE Munich 2022, perhaps in June.

I suggested Palo Alto because you seemed eager to hear them :) If a trip to the Bay area is inconvenient I'll go one step further and offer to bring a pair to your place in Arizona. My sons' new in-laws live in Tuscon and he keeps prodding me to come and play a round of golf so he can take my money:)

Unless I missed it in an earlier post I would love to know what amplifier you're currently using?

Gary
Realized I missed your post above on amplifier and associate equipment. Pass INT-25 and the photo of your listening room. Nice!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am to be in SoCal by tomorrow eve.
Have an hotel suggestion?

Southern California covers almost 57,000 square miles.

Reactions: bazelio

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
I am to be in SoCal by tomorrow eve.
Have an hotel suggestion?
Any of the Ayres Hotels are decent, especially if you want to be in Orange County. If you're going to be in Palos Verde, Santa Monica, Malibu, Beverly Hills, etc. Ron is your man. Would love you to stop by Monday.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Travel plans adjusted ahead til Wed. Will be free Thursday or Friday.
NP will send you coordinates etc. off-line.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Quick drive-by. I picked up the Vox 3a last night and am just now getting around to first listen. As a demo model, the drivers are already broken in. Now, I'm only one record in - which happens to be Melody Gardot Live in Europe - but so far so good. These are clearly excellent as monitors go. Compared to what I was using, they're both fuller sounding and more open. One record in, again, but I don't get the sense that the fuller sound is coming from the "trick" played by the likes of Wilson Tunetots with a hump in the midbass. There is good tonal balance. Soundstage is vast and scale belies their diminutive stature. They have a lot of nuance and it is presented naturally. Overall, the sound is dynamic, colorful, articulate, and permeating. I'm currently driving them with a 50W Plinius SA-50 in Class A. This is an older amp that I acquired used and completely recapped about two years ago. It seems to be a great pairing. I'm driving the amp directly from an EAR 88PB phono stage, with no preamp or other devices in the chain. The turntable is a Brinkmann Bardo.

Nit: I'm not in love with the speaker terminals they've used, but I'll live.

Last edited:

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Quick drive-by. I picked up the Vox 3a last night and am just now getting around to first listen. As a demo model, the drivers are already broken in. Now, I'm only one record in - which happens to be Melody Gardot Live in Europe - but so far so good. These are clearly excellent as monitors go. Compared to what I was using, they're both fuller sounding and more open. One record in, again, but I don't get the sense that the fuller sound is coming from the "trick" played by the likes of Wilson Tunetots with a hump in the midbass. There is good tonal balance. Soundstage is vast and scale belies their diminutive stature. They have a lot of nuance and it is presented naturally. Overall, the sound is dynamic, colorful, articulate, and permeating. I'm currently driving them with a 50W Plinius SA-50 in Class A. This is an older amp that I acquired used and completely recapped about two years ago. It seems to be a great pairing. I'm driving the amp directly from an EAR 88PB phono stage, with no preamp or other devices in the chain. The turntable is a Brinkmann Bardo.

Nit: I'm not in love with the speaker terminals they've used, but I'll live.
Great hearing from you on this! I completely agree with your assessment and I'm sure your initial impressions are most helpful to Chorus and others following the post. Our Vox's won't arrive in California until June. I have been trying to hook Chorus up with a demo of the speaker but so far unable. Did you get your demo pair from Soo In?

I know the EAR phono stages extremely well, although never thought to try it straight in to the amplifier which sounds like a very cool way to go for the dedicated phonophile! Are you using the 834 or 88PB?

Thanks again for posting your early impressions. I look forward to hearing your further insights once you have more time with them. Enjoy!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing