Best small flashlight

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
OK guys.... What is the best small flash light to carry around? Often I have to crawl behind equipment to look at something and need a good flashlight. Don't want anything with blue LEDs and non-diffused light that is hard to read by.

What do you suggest?

mimesis

Sep 26, 2010
There's a whole forum (candlepower) dedicated to this. People there are as avid, expert and enthusiastic as any audiophile you'll meet. To me there are three possible types for your use: a small handheld unit, a small right angle hand held unit, a headlamp. I've been building my emergency store/flashlight collection and am committed to both the CR123 and AA battery units. A 1-battery light is small with great output. I am partial to Sunwayman LEDs - they have a really nice right angle, all metal unit for about $60. Another very good brand is Fenix and they make an adjustable right angle light. The good thing about such lights is that they can be set on the ground and still provide light or you can clip them on your waist or shirt pocket and they provide light. A good headlamp for cheap is Coast Led Lenser H7 (~30 street); it has both an adjustable beam (flood to spot) and adjustable brightness. Plus you can adjust the tilt. I have one and with these features, it's easy to set it up to read.

If you get a multispectrum light with UV output, it can double as an ID and bill check for counterfeits. Best place to buy batteries is Battery Junction; by far the cheapest price on CR123 batteries. I bought 100 Rayovac (made by Panasonic here in the US for them) for 115 bucks; compare that to 5 or 7 dollars per battery at my Rite Aid or Ace Hardware. They carry every imaginable battery and most every brand of flashlight. And if you do happen to browse candlepower forum, you'll find that people collect flashlights like we collect cables and amps. As for brand of LED, Cree R5 and XML are their newer LEDS; XPG is okay, too.

At the highend for EDC (every day carry) are Malkoff Devices and HDS. I find that I prefer a click on device (usually on the tailcap) rather than a twist as it only requires one hand. If I were specifying a non right angle light: 1 CR123, click on with at most three settings, can stand on it's tail, has a groove bulit in to allow a lanyard. If you must have the best, SureFire makes excellent lights - I am waiting for my headlamp to come in. Another one would be Inforce MilSpec. These lights can run up to $400 but they will last forever and probably are the toughest things out there.

Also, the way the highline LED flashlights are designed, extra battery capacity does not increase max light output, only runtime. A 1-battery unit is good in that in an emergency, if you only have one battery, it will work and if you have multiple such lights, your battery supply can be spread out to others in need (family, friends etc).

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm partial to ear lights so I can keep my hands free. eGear makes some. They cost less than 10 bucks. :)

If you want something to use at an angle, the mini Mags are still my favorite.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Love this topic! I've gone thru a bunch of cheap ones, all unsatisfactory. Will have to check out some of the aforementioned.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
We've looked at a lot of flashlights with an eye toward tactical duty. The SureFire lights are very nice. If you don't feel you'll be giving them quite the rough treatment, you can find very good, bright lights here:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/fenix-ld151.html

This Fenix model is but one example. You can peruse the site and find many suitable models. The tiny size of the Fenix I linked makes it easy to hold in your teeth, clip to your wrist with a rubber band, etc. for task lighting. 100 lumens is VERY bright, and blows away most typical flashlights to which most folks are accustomed.

If you want something a bit "cooler", try the Tomahawk:

http://www.first-light-usa.com/tomahawkmain.php

I use one, and it's very nice.

Lee

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
There's a whole forum (candlepower) dedicated to this. People there are as avid, expert and enthusiastic as any audiophile you'll meet. To me there are three possible types for your use: a small handheld unit, a small right angle hand held unit, a headlamp. I've been building my emergency store/flashlight collection and am committed to both the CR123 and AA battery units. A 1-battery light is small with great output. I am partial to Sunwayman LEDs - they have a really nice right angle, all metal unit for about $60. Another very good brand is Fenix and they make an adjustable right angle light. The good thing about such lights is that they can be set on the ground and still provide light or you can clip them on your waist or shirt pocket and they provide light. A good headlamp for cheap is Coast Led Lenser H7 (~30 street); it has both an adjustable beam (flood to spot) and adjustable brightness. Plus you can adjust the tilt. I have one and with these features, it's easy to set it up to read.

If you get a multispectrum light with UV output, it can double as an ID and bill check for counterfeits. Best place to buy batteries is Battery Junction; by far the cheapest price on CR123 batteries. I bought 100 Rayovac (made by Panasonic here in the US for them) for 115 bucks; compare that to 5 or 7 dollars per battery at my Rite Aid or Ace Hardware. They carry every imaginable battery and most every brand of flashlight. And if you do happen to browse candlepower forum, you'll find that people collect flashlights like we collect cables and amps. As for brand of LED, Cree R5 and XML are their newer LEDS; XPG is okay, too.

At the highend for EDC (every day carry) are Malkoff Devices and HDS. I find that I prefer a click on device (usually on the tailcap) rather than a twist as it only requires one hand. If I were specifying a non right angle light: 1 CR123, click on with at most three settings, can stand on it's tail, has a groove bulit in to allow a lanyard. If you must have the best, SureFire makes excellent lights - I am waiting for my headlamp to come in. Another one would be Inforce MilSpec. These lights can run up to $400 but they will last forever and probably are the toughest things out there.

Also, the way the highline LED flashlights are designed, extra battery capacity does not increase max light output, only runtime. A 1-battery unit is good in that in an emergency, if you only have one battery, it will work and if you have multiple such lights, your battery supply can be spread out to others in need (family, friends etc).

very informative, thanks

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com

mimesis

Sep 26, 2010
Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing