best horn system in the world?

Tim Link

Feb 12, 2019
It sounds like a very reverberant space. Lots of early reflections going on there with the smaller horns projecting behind the mouth of the bigger horn and on to the top of the mid-bass cabinet. I wonder how that effects imaging. I see he's got some kind of panel on the top of the bass cabinet to help. I've found that it's really important for the mouth of the treble horn(s) to not be behind any nearby objects, including other horns. I was amazed at what an improvement it made but it does require digital manipulation if time alignment is to be maintained.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
It sounds like a very reverberant space. Lots of early reflections going on there with the smaller horns projecting behind the mouth of the bigger horn and on to the top of the mid-bass cabinet. I wonder how that effects imaging. I see he's got some kind of panel on the top of the bass cabinet to help. I've found that it's really important for the mouth of the treble horn(s) to not be behind any nearby objects, including other horns. I was amazed at what an improvement it made but it does require digital manipulation if time alignment is to be maintained.

Sounds like the music is just hollow to me. Horns are directional by nature... they simply don't have tons of reflections.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: Tim Link and Folsom

Don Reid

VIP/Donor
Nov 14, 2020
I don't see how it could be the best horn system in the world when it isn't even a horn system. It is instead a hybrid system that includes horns. Horn bass is the icing on the cake.

Reactions: carolus

Tim Link

Feb 12, 2019
Many better sounding videos of horns playing drums in this thread

It would be interesting for comparison to hear someone talking as they move around that room, recorded from a distance, and maybe a few handclaps to get an idea of what that room sounds like.

Tim Link

Feb 12, 2019
Sounds like the music is just hollow to me. Horns are directional by nature... they simply don't have tons of reflections.
By hollow do you mean lacking in early reflections but abundant in late reflections? I imagine that room has a big spacious sound in person. Doesn't come across well when recorded in room and played back over headphones. An anechoic room would probably sound best for that.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
By hollow do you mean lacking in early reflections but abundant in late reflections? I imagine that room has a big spacious sound in person. Doesn't come across well when recorded in room and played back over headphones. An anechoic room would probably sound best for that.

No I do not. It's a character of the music from the speaker (and electronics, etc). Were you to wear them like headphones you'd get the same thing. It would be the same playing outside of in an anechoic chamber.

Reactions: Tim Link

Tim Link

Feb 12, 2019
No I do not. It's a character of the music from the speaker (and electronics, etc). Were you to wear them like headphones you'd get the same thing. It would be the same playing outside of in an anechoic chamber.
Thanks for clarifying. I'm not sure that I'm picking up on that hollow sound from the speakers. The room reverberation is drawing all my attention. It gets considerably less as the mic and camera get closer to the speaker.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Thanks for clarifying. I'm not sure that I'm picking up on that hollow sound from the speakers. The room reverberation is drawing all my attention. It gets considerably less as the mic and camera get closer to the speaker.
I don't know how anyone can put any stock in any of these videos?? OK there are fun but not as an assessment tool.

Rob :)

Reactions: Tim Link

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Last edited:

Tim Link

Feb 12, 2019
I don't know how anyone can put any stock in any of these videos?? OK there are fun but not as an assessment tool.

Rob :)
I agree that the finer points just won't come through. Major issues with bass response and room reverberation can be heard.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
six-way system, which crossover he use?

Best syst I have ever heard. Emt 927 + koetsu Coralstone ( can’t remember Tonearm ) . 2 pass labs crossover + DIY cables in a huge warehouse- his photography studio. Allan Soo , HK is a professional photographer . Midnight sugar sounded amazing when I heard it probably 6/7 years ago

Last edited:

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
Certainly far from the best, but probably a contender for best "Bang For The Buck " Horn Speaker currently available.....
Stacked Klipsch Cornwall IV's.....

Cheers......

Attachments

• 20210716_222314.jpg
    20210716_222314.jpg
    664 KB · Views: 39
  • 20210716_133002.jpg
    20210716_133002.jpg
    637.5 KB · Views: 39
Reactions: Addicted to hifi

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
That has to have a lot of comb filtering... better off with just one Cornwall per side.

Last edited:

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
That was have a lot of comb filtering... better off with just one Cornwall per side.
Disagree....Have run them both ways, and while I agree there are some comb filtering effects, the overall result ( enjoyment, fun factor, and musical engagement) are better with the Stack arrangement ( IMO of course)...and you need the right room to help “mask” these effects ( ie: some distance from the stack)..but as they say different strokes for different folks....

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Well if you like it, that is what matters. I’m pretty sure the different cancellations would make me go mad.

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
This would explain it......My Friends think I have been mad for years...-:).
I have been “Stacking” speakers for decades (Quads ESL 57’s, Dahlquist DQ10’s, Advents, Acoustats..., to many others to mention....
It’s all good ....just enjoy and have fun.
Cheers....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing