Best EL34 amps

flm09

May 1, 2020
I am in the process of picking up the Jadis line and am going to be curious how Jadis JA 30 Mk II stacks up against the Art Audio Opus 4 KT120 vs. KT120. I have not heard the EL34.

In my opinion, the Art Audio Veloce EL34 mono-blocks are a tremendous value for the quality they deliver, 25w in Triode. Small form make them easy to work into a room. At $10,500 they are not crazy expensive.
Do you have a website link?

VerdantAudio

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2020

Happened to still be out here reading. This is the link to the Veloces.

flm09

May 1, 2020

Happened to still be out here reading. This is the link to the Veloces.
Ok thanks! But price is very close to JA 30 Mk II!

VerdantAudio

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2020
Ok thanks! But price is very close to JA 30 Mk II!
It is. Part of it is Art Audio doesn't have two sets of margins. The line is imported and priced at retail rather than imported and priced for distribution. If I was to price the Veloce monos for retail distribution like what Bluebird charges for the Jadis these wound be $18K.

I am not sure they they are significantly better than the Jadis amps but I know they are very, very good. Especially for the money. Like I said above, I am very much looking forward to a side-by-side comparison.

If you are interested in a stereo amp, the Opus 2 from Art Audio is 25w Pentode coupled, 15w in Triode and is $8K. It is not a switched amp though and you need to order as a pure pentode or pure triode.

flm09

May 1, 2020
It is. Part of it is Art Audio doesn't have two sets of margins. The line is imported and priced at retail rather than imported and priced for distribution. If I was to price the Veloce monos for retail distribution like what Bluebird charges for the Jadis these wound be $18K.

I am not sure they they are significantly better than the Jadis amps but I know they are very, very good. Especially for the money. Like I said above, I am very much looking forward to a side-by-side comparison.

If you are interested in a stereo amp, the Opus 2 from Art Audio is 25w Pentode coupled, 15w in Triode and is $8K. It is not a switched amp though and you need to order as a pure pentode or pure triode.
Ok thanks! I will look into the line. I always prefer Triode!

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
For me, Jadis amplifiers in pentode or triode are the most musical tube amps I've heard, although I'm not fully up to speed on current tube designs.
I suspect that the magic is in their transformers.
SET designs, while they can be magical musically, limit the selection of speakers too much for my tastes.

Last edited:

flm09

May 1, 2020
For me, Jadis amplifiers in pentode or triode are the most musical tube amps I've heard, although I'm not fully up to speed on current tube designs.
I suspect that the magic is in their transformers. SET designs, while they can be magical musically, limit the selection of speakers too much for my tastes.
Yeah I would agree its the transformers & simple circuit design! Although did demo Orchestra ref & black and those two amps was not to my liking. Wasn't refined and lush. They switched out to Luxman kt88 and that was smoother and fuller but lacking in air. Not in my room but I have the same Harbeths.

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
Yeah I would agree its the transformers & simple circuit design! Although did demo Orchestra ref & black and those two amps was not to my liking. Wasn't refined and lush. They switched out to Luxman kt88 and that was smoother and fuller but lacking in air. Not in my room but I have the same Harbeths.
Yeah, their Integrated amps don't do it for me either. Their preamp circuits are just ok IMO.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Anyone here have any experience with the Unison Research S6 Mk II?
A friend of mine has this amp but sounds too colored to my ears. Mastersound EL34 amps sound better to me.

flm09

May 1, 2020
Couple of days ago went to hear an all Jadis system. Amps were JA30 MKII with KT120. That's the sound I am looking for!

Reactions: christoph

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
Couple of days ago went to hear an all Jadis system. Amps were JA30 MKII with KT120. That's the sound I am looking for!

Sounds good, sounds like you are getting somewhere, today iam about to receive a quartet KT170 tubes for my allnic, should be rather interesting!

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Nice one mate. You will really like those KT120's on the Jadis amplifiers, especially if that's the sound you're after. It's always a good thing to know what you're after, that's the only way to fully enjoy what you own.

As I've stated, if it sounds superb to you in your particular system that's the purity.
Enjoy those fine tunes!
Cheers, RJ

flm09

May 1, 2020
Nice one mate. You will really like those KT120's on the Jadis amplifiers, especially if that's the sound you're after. It's always a good thing to know what you're after, that's the only way to fully enjoy what you own.

As I've stated, if it sounds superb to you in your particular system that's the purity.
Enjoy those fine tunes!
Cheers, RJ

Thanks RJ! You enjoy as well!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing