Bernie Grundman tells it like it is----great video---lots to unpack

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
please put pics of LPs you consider to be originals. Mostly the issue here is that these are the wrong LPs. Just having Decca or DG etc on them does not qualify them in the original category.

Thanks for your generous help, but as I have explained I am not interested in discussing your particular subject.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
In the 2014 interview with Fremer, BG brags about how sophisticated their computer technology is, etc. etc. This is when they were doing a lot of digitizing of catalogs (which I am thankful they did). It is fine to say all those things, but then don’t turn around and say how others (in this case MoFi) are introducing a digital step that can kill the music.

Back then, you'll also have to remember that Bernie and his son said that every digital copy degrades the sound!

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
Didn’t Grundman digitize and master the Bue Note 75th anniversary series and everyone agreed they were awful?

Conversely, Kevin Gray has been mastering the BN 80 and Classic series, all analog, and they have been very well received.

I am not saying Gray does a better job than Grundman, they are both masters, but it is a bit annoying to hear BG spout all this stuff about how poor digital can be when he himself is also guilty of putting out poor sounding records.

Grain of salt and all that stuff.
I don't think BG is good at digital mastering. Looking through my Tidal library, I only have one album mastered by him, Moonflower by Santana and he is listed jointly with Joe Gastwirt. I generally find well recorded/mastered digital to be as satisfying as vinyl, problem is most digital isn't well recorded/mastered!

Marko Dvecko

Oct 7, 2022
Croatia
mozzaik-audio.com
BG is mine favorite mastering engineer. When he says digital has problems I believe him. Today DAC chips are measuring so good and still they all sound different. Upsampling filters, SDM and analog part of the DAC have their role in the sound. What we as constructors can do is invest our time to create products that are built by listening. Measuring is great for quick quality assurance.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing