• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
1647117890276.png
Despite my current preoccupation with davs this particular rebuild is noteworthy. When closed it resembles a laptop compiter. I wish I had pulled the trigger in its earlier incarnation

It is designated to commemorate their 95th anniversary. Only 95 will be made ar$11,000. Moving magnet cartridge included. 1647118629285.png

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Jeez, I remember the original. We all thought it was sooo freakin' cool! Of course, B&O was always a mid fi product with a "slickness" factor. Would have been an instant hit if social media were around then, touted by any number of relatively obscure celebrities interested in followers (i.e, twits who tweet) more than relevance.

One thing however is true. It has less tracking angle error than any pivoted arm out there then or now! Physics is physics. The sound however, is obviously another story.....

It will be interesting to see if it sells. I wouldn't bet against it. Today's renaissance in TTs and vinyl is far more about being cool than it is about audio quality. Too bad. 11k can buy some very respectable vinyl sound these days, especially in the used market.

Reactions: PeterA

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I bought the Phillips GA 212 instead

Echolane

Apr 24, 2018
California
Chiming in because I own a Beogram 4004. I bought it new and it still looks showroom new though I haven’t used it for years now because it needs a new belt and I now have another turntable a Rega RP40 Anniversary edition.
But I’ve just heard about the remake of the 4000 series turntables. I just inquired of a B&O dealer today and they would take mine in, send it to Denmark, and rebuild it completely for $6500. Should I do it?
The reason I bought a replacement turntable was because my audiophile repair gent always dissed the audio quality. What is the problem with the audio, especially since the tracking of the arm is so perfect? Or so it seems. I’d love to be enlightened rather than broke.

Attachments

• BB383900-C438-4816-A9EF-221E0541805B.jpeg
    BB383900-C438-4816-A9EF-221E0541805B.jpeg
    731.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 1711F4E2-B496-4DBF-92F9-5269D357D565.jpeg
    1711F4E2-B496-4DBF-92F9-5269D357D565.jpeg
    888.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
High marks for the Cool , not so much for the sound quality of the linear tonearm iirc … the later RX2 on the other hand was a fun TT.

Last edited:

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
But I’ve just heard about the remake of the 4000 series turntables. I just inquired of a B&O dealer today and they would take mine in, send it to Denmark, and rebuild it completely for $6500. Should I do it?
IMHO $6500 is a lot of money and that turntable will never reward rebuild cause it has limits. IMHO it’s better to replace the belt and get the cartridge retipped (if it’s broken) for a reasonable price is the thing to do and using another turntable for audiophile purposes.

Echolane

Apr 24, 2018
California
Oh yes, I so agree, $6500 is a lot of money but i was told it would be improved / brought up to date with the latest turntable technology. I don’t know specifically what that is with one exception. They would add streaming capability. That makes no sense and I wouldn’t want that. But if I pay $6500 for an $11,000 product, surely I could sell it and get my money back. .

I wish you’d be more specific about its limits. I’ve read about only one limitation, that it is light on bass. I’ve also read the right cartridge fixes that. Surely that would be addressed in the rebuild.

Last edited:

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I would get it fixed for a few bucks and buy any of the top contender table / arm combos in the $6k to $10k range an enjoy both ;)

Reactions: mtemur and Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Oh yes, I so agree, $6500 is a lot of money but i was told it would be improved / brought up to date with the latest turntable technology. I don’t know specifically what that is with one exception. They would add streaming capability. That makes no sense and I wouldn’t want that. But if I pay $6500 for an $11,000 product, surely I could sell it and get my money back. .

I wish you’d be more specific about its limits. I’ve read about only one limitation, that it is light on bass. I’ve also read the right cartridge fixes that. Surely that would be addressed in the rebuild.
Sreaming from a TT, that is right up there with USB output ! o_O Please shoot me now !:rolleyes:

Reactions: djsina2

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019

You can sell it now as is and get a new TT. Once you spend $6500 for rebuild it’s hard to make any profit. Don’t expect to sell it for the full price and believe me $11.000 msrp is ridiculously high.
It’s made to look sleek, modern (for 70’s), like a piece of art but not to sound good.

Reactions: Echolane

Echolane

Apr 24, 2018
California
It’s a beautiful work of art. I read somewhere that women really like ir. Like many women I fell for it the moment I saw it and I have always always enjoyed using it, even admired it whenever I used it, so I’ve decided I’ll have it looked at. I know it needs a new belt at least and if it doesn’t need too much, I’ll repair it and use it. I’ll also take the opportunity to compare it to my Rega RP40 Anniversary TT. If I can’t hear much difference or the difference doesn’t bother me, I’ll use it in preference to the Rega. I’ve never enjoyed managing the tonearm on my Rega. I hate having to rush to the turntable to park the tonearm the minute the record ends.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
You can sell it now as is and get a new TT. Once you spend $6500 for rebuild it’s hard to make any profit. Don’t expect to sell it for the full price and believe me $11.000 msrp is ridiculously high.
It’s made to look sleek, modern (for 70’s), like a piece of art but not to sound good.
You can find them often for little money , sitting in Danish attics, we all had B&O in the 70-90'these . https://www.dba.dk/soeg/?soeg=beogram+4000

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
High marks for the Cool , not so much for the sound quality of the linear tonearm iirc … the later RX2 on the other hand was a fun TT.

I've almost bought one of these so many times... for like $150. I should just do it and put it on the shelf to look at.

Reactions: Argonaut

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing