Avalon Tesseract

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Now Roysen, you know there is a contingency here that makes determinations whether speakers/components will sound good by reading science theory books and measurement charts. Sadly, they forget the ear part....;)

I am not sure I understood what you meant but I will not follow this through anyway. I guess I will find out in due time if they are time coherent or not because I have just ordered the Avalon Tesseract.

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
Now Roysen, you know there is a contingency here that makes determinations whether speakers/components will sound good by reading science theory books and measurement charts. Sadly, they forget the ear part....;)

I think you mean the "Hear" Part ....:)

At WBF, measurements and science dont matter, just looks ,cost and a few placebo reviews by online ego boosting professional reviewers ....

Brap .... :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yes , I'm aware , I'm also aware of it not sounding the same vs physical displacement via baffle design and refraction control ....

Sure. The one that's implemented better will likely sound better. Then again, you can always move your chair.

Bjorn

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Norway
It's interesting that they write a technical article, writing about the importance of different aspects, indicating that they have constructed an encredible speaker, but they don't show any measurements what' so ever to prove this!
I'm sorry, but this is a speaker aimed at a marked where people buy advertising as proof and price dictates the perfomance. Ask Avalon for a polar response. Most likely one will never get it. And the reason is quite obvious, it will not have a great powerrespons.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Regarding materials involved in the Avalon speakers (and not sure if the Tesseract followed the same rule) Neil and his team are big on MDF, complex bracing and sophisticated polymers attaching different wood densities - in a way it follows the same precautions as buildlng a musical instrument, they are against aluminium frames or other high Q inducing materials.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I respect avalon highly and i think its one of the best brands , avalons are not made to impress but to enjoy on a day to day basis , your comment is so ignorant and disrespectfull , off course anyone with 1500 euros and a computer( and some brains ) can get a speakers polar response
i suggest you read some of the technical papers on their site and you might learn something
It's interesting that they write a technical article, writing about the importance of different aspects, indicating that they have constructed an encredible speaker, but they don't show any measurements what' so ever to prove this!
I'm sorry, but this is a speaker aimed at a marked where people buy advertising as proof and price dictates the perfomance. Ask Avalon for a polar response. Most likely one will never get it. And the reason is quite obvious, it will not have a great powerrespons.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Hate to disagree with our friends from Holland and Norway, BUT IMHO the BEST way to tell if Avalon has built a good speaker in the Tesseract, is to go and listen to it for oneself. All the measurements and construction techniques in the world won't help IF the darn speaker can't deliver the goods to one's ears.:D

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Thats not what i mean ,I dont even have to listen to it to know its a great speaker :D, i know the brand very well .

kinda like saying when a new Ferrari is released from the factory and asking ?
" I hope they didnt forget to put in the steeringwheel " :D

Bjorn

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Norway
I respect avalon highly and i think its one of the best brands , avalons are not made to impress but to enjoy on a day to day basis , your comment is so ignorant and disrespectfull , off course anyone with 1500 euros and a computer( and some brains ) can get a speakers polar response
i suggest you read some of the technical papers on their site and you might learn something
Yeah. A computer is all you need to figure out the polar response. :D

Just take a look at the meaurements of Avalon Indra to see how great Avalon speakers are. :rolleyes: A speaker that cost $19,995/pair! But I'm sure you think measurements of speakers don't mean anything. It's all about listening!
http://www.stereophile.com/content/avalon-acoustics-indra-loudspeaker-measurements

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Yeah , i m the kinda guy that thinks its all about fancy cabinet and throwing in some units at the avalon factory , guess it must be because i swallowed my ear plugs :D , what a rip off it must be , asking 300 K for a speaker anybody can make in their garage :D

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Demanding measurements of a speaker that hasn't even been built yet? Now I think I've seen it all! :D

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Thats not what i mean ,I dont even have to listen to it to know its a great speaker :D, i know the brand very well .

kinda like saying when a new Ferrari is released from the factory and asking ?
" I hope they didnt forget to put in the steeringwheel " :D

That's what has been said about many a speaker that turned out to be a Turkey. IMHO, If one can't or won't listen to gear that is under consideration, one gets what one deserves.:(

Bjorn

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Norway
Demanding measurements of a speaker that hasn't even been built yet? Now I think I've seen it all! :D
And still, many of you think it's great. Based on what? Marketing? :)
A speaker design like this will never yield a particular uniform polar response. It's simply not possible. The price really doesn't help much.... I'm sure audiophools will give it glowing reviews though.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Polar response is an interesting subject. If you plan on listening on axis most of the time then there is no reason to get your panties in a bunch about off axis response. In fact if your speakers are designed to be beamy then they are likely to be less distorted on axis than speakers that are designed to spread the sound around because of the comb filtering of sound bouncing off the walls. Of course if you want even frequency response throughout the room because of multiple seating positions then you have to live with that compromise.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I respect those who place measurments first when judging any given audio component, this debate has decades around, in my experience I have found incredible measurments of audio equipment that I didn't like that much, and viceversa.

On the other hand, I am not sure of finding a speaker like this one to be designed and built in a garage....really hard.

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
I am sorry guys. I have to appologize for my fellow countryman here. He uses the kind of tone used in the local hififorums in Norway which is partly why I don't want to be part of them anymore. Acting like they know everything and everyone else are just plain stupid. Like Polar response is the key matter for a speaker to sound good. If the polar response is good forget about everything else.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing