Audionet Heisenberg's

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
How are the Heisenbergs with Vivid? I've spent time with Vivid speakers and obviously own Heisenbergs but not heard the combination.

Reactions: gentcan

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com
How are the Heisenbergs with Vivid? I've spent time with Vivid speakers and obviously own Heisenbergs but not heard the combination.
The clarity and sense of ease of the Heisenbergs with the transparent, dynamic and spacious sound of the Vivids is superb.

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Inasked this question on the other thred but no reaction.
I hope here will be someone to advice

How about choice between 2 theoretical scenarios:
1. Totaldac DAC ( voulme control) + Totaldac Drivers + Heisenberg monos to Alsyvox Botticelli
2. Totaldac DAC ( max volume) + TotalDAC drivers + Humboldt ( volume control) to Alsyvox Botticelli
I wonder what scenario would work better 1 or 2 ?

Reactions: PhP

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com

1. Totaldac DAC ( voulme control) + Totaldac Drivers + Heisenberg monos to Alsyvox Botticelli
2. Totaldac DAC ( max volume) + TotalDAC drivers + Humboldt ( volume control) to Alsyvox Botticelli
I wonder what scenario would work better 1 or 2 ?
Kris, I can't speak to the performance of the Humboldt as I have not heard it, but the Heisenberg's are simply the best amps I have ever heard.

Reactions: PhP and bonzo75

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Thank you Scott
There must be a reason for double the price.

Not sure how the way you perform the volume control influences final result.
I was hoping someone checked it already.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Kris, I can't speak to the performance of the Humboldt as I have not heard it, but the Heisenberg's are simply the best amps I have ever heard.
How do they compare with Mephisto? Most interested in any listening notes...I understand all the caveats.

Last edited:

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
How do they compare with Mephisto? Most interested in any listening notes...I understand all the caveats.
Come and hear them for yourself Lloyd - I don't think you're far away!

• Love
Reactions: ICUToo

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017

I wonder what scenario would work better 1 or 2
I had a TotalDAC driver to try for a while and tried the following configurations:

Lampi GG2 -> MFA Silver passive pre -> TotalDAC driver -> Heisenbergs
Lampi GG2 -> TotalDAC driver -> MFA Silver passive pre -> Heisenbergs
Lampi GG2 -> Stern -> Heisenbergs

My Lampi didn't have volume control hence the use of the MFA.

I preferred the Stern setup by a reasonable margin - it sounded more natural and flowing, whereas the TotalDAC driver setup sounded somewhat forced in comparison. Bonzo75 heard the same thing.

I've only heard the Humboldt in Munich so I don't know how close it gets to the Stern / Heisenberg combination. Given the Botticelli are reasonably sensitive the Humboldt may be sufficient to drive them well.

My suggestion would be to do away with the drivers and put the money towards a pre-amp, Stern or otherwise, to partner the Heisenbergs. It's perhaps worth saying that in my view the Heisenbergs are the star of the pairing - I suspect there may be pre-amps out there that outperform the Stern for the same money, or equal it for less.

I'm quite desperate to hear the Botticellis on the end of a pair of Heisenbergs - am hoping a pair will make their way to the UK at some point soon to make it happen!

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
I had a TotalDAC driver to try for a while and tried the following configurations:

I preferred the Stern setup by a reasonable margin - it sounded more natural and flowing, whereas the TotalDAC driver setup sounded somewhat forced in comparison. Bonzo75 heard the same thing.

I've only heard the Humboldt in Munich so I don't know how close it gets to the Stern / Heisenberg combination. Given the Botticelli are reasonably sensitive the Humboldt may be sufficient to drive them well.

My suggestion would be to do away with the drivers and put the money towards a pre-amp, Stern or otherwise, to partner the Heisenbergs. It's perhaps worth saying that in my view the Heisenbergs are the star of the pairing - I suspect there may be pre-amps out there that outperform the Stern for the same money, or equal it for less.

I'm quite desperate to hear the Botticellis on the end of a pair of Heisenbergs - am hoping a pair will make their way to the UK at some point soon to make it happen!
I moved over from Stern to Soulution 720, which is better in my set up

Reactions: gentcan and heihei

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
I should also say that Emile @ Taiko has experience of TotalDAC drivers / Stern / Heisenberg / Alsyvox, so worth speaking to him and/or digging through his posts.

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
Hello Kris
in 95% of the case, it's better to have a preamp, even if some DAC have a quite good analog section that have a high-end volume control. I and my customers use preamp. It's a matter of gain to get more dynamics.
KR
Philippe

gentcan

Jun 15, 2022

@heihei . I love your combo of Stern & Heisenbergs but couldn’t afford the Heisenbergs. I got Audia Flight Strumento 8 with Stern instead. I’m really happy with this combo now. Do you think the preamp of Lampi Horizon would be equal to Stern? Thanks.

Reactions: ctydwn

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
@heihei . I love your combo of Stern & Heisenbergs but couldn’t afford the Heisenbergs. I got Audia Flight Strumento 8 with Stern instead. I’m really happy with this combo now. Do you think the preamp of Lampi Horizon would be equal to Stern? Thanks.
Don't know yet but will find out shortly

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
Hello all
It's quite simple. No system without preamplifier is better than direct digital to power amplifier. I tried many for over 20 years and if some direct links was quite purer, all in all without active preamplifier music lacks one of its fundamental root to convey musical pleasure : dynamics. I tried endlessly if less can be more ! Not without active preamp to my ears.

I discovered recently that the best reproduction is offered by active preamplifier that is incorporated in power amplifier.
I tried separate preamp for 30 years, this was better. I tried integrated preamp like AUDIONET Humboldt, it was more transparent than separates. I tried this in integrated preamp in mono-blocks, and it is so much better that I decided to add a new line of electronics to my product line. It's not better, it's so much better that I couldn't believe that having this absolute playback was possible under 100 K€. It is ! I will have my new brand in December, but today the stereo unit with preamp is so goo that I have no name for other brand that is on par with such resolution, including absolute tones integrity.
This is to say that feeding digital directly to Heisenberg is less good that using Stern preamp with Heisenberg.

I will be the only dealer of this brand (french brand) in France, but also in other European countries and overseas.
I must thank a friend and a speaker manufacturer to tell me to try these marvels
PHPAUDIO will be proud to have a monoblocks pair in December, each unit will have his own mono preamp. No cable in the amplifier, no cable in the preamp, no cable between preamps and mono-block, but unequaled transparency for sure. stay tuned.
Kind regards
Philippe

gentcan

Jun 15, 2022
The reason I was asking is that I read somewhere in this forum, a member to claim about this preamp section is really super vs @heihei Audionet Stern if I remembered correctly.

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
I have the Humboldt- it seems that Audionet have found a great topology in their Scientist series.
One of the great things is that it seems that I can play older, poorer-quality recordings, and they still sound really good, rather than having their flaws made unlistenable. I can’t explain how this is possible but it is a wonderful phenomenon.
So, so good, this amp.
I have the Humboldt- it seems that Audionet have found a great topology in their Scientist series.
One of the great things is that it seems that I can play older, poorer-quality recordings, and they still sound really good, rather than having their flaws made unlistenable. I can’t explain how this is possible but it is a wonderful phenomenon.
So, so good, this amp.
Hello

AUDIONET Humboldt and Heisenberg are very sensitive to the power cable choice, especially for highs naturalness.
Also they sound better with very good feet than with the triangular stylished feet from the sub-chassis.
I had Humboldt for 1.5 years.

KR

Philippe

Reactions: ICUToo

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
The reason I was asking is that I read somewhere in this forum, a member to claim about this preamp section is really super vs @heihei Audionet Stern if I remembered correctly.
Hi

I tried some passive preamps, more natural in certain cases, but not as dynamic as it's is possible for a "real life" contrasts and slam. Some very good DAC output could be also great, like in PLAYBACK DESIGNS MPS-8 dream DAC player, but at the end I prefer active preamps.
KR
Philippe

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Aries Cerat Impera ll Ref would be the one to try paired with Heisenbergs and compare vs Stern for less money.

Reactions: ctydwn

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Aries Cerat Impera ll Ref would be the one to try paired with Heisenbergs and compare vs Stern for less money.
What is the rational behind this recommendation ?

to my experience Heisenbergs likes high current capable output stages in Preamplifiers, from my understanding, Aries Cerat has high gain, high voltage approach for sources and preamps?

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Hi

I tried some passive preamps, more natural in certain cases, but not as dynamic as it's is possible for a "real life" contrasts and slam. Some very good DAC output could be also great, like in PLAYBACK DESIGNS MPS-8 dream DAC player, but at the end I prefer active preamps.
KR
Philippe

I agree with you Philippe , but there is other option as well.
If someone is running TotalDac DAC like I do the volume controll bulid there is extremelly good.
I had Kondo 1000 MK II for 3 years and sold it once I discovered there was almost NO difference
with ot without preamp. What a saving !
What I added insted were TotalDAC drivers that are excellent . Those are boxes that DRIVE the amps, meaning they have Active part of a preamp only.
This is excellent combination and I know many others did the same.
From that it looks avoiding passive section of preamp gives significant boost in SQ.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing