Attention classical music lovers!`

Curt Palme

Jan 25, 2012
So.. once in a while I stumble across something that could potentially be fantastic, and I immediately thought of you fine folks here. It all started with a message through Facebook that there was someone out of town that was selling a bunch of RTRs. Long story short, I drove out of town last week, and picked up the entire contents of an estate sale, I split the stuff between myself and a company called Innovative Audio out of Surrey, BC.

I think most of what I got won't be of interest to those here, since many of you deal with the highest end possible RTRs. What I did get is some decent high end consumer decks, including:

-Revox B77
-Revox A700
-Akai and Sansui quadraphonic decks
-Sony TC755
-Pioneer RT707
and...
1- Ampex 351 with solid state electronics and a portable case with all the cables between the two. I just got all of these in, but between these and the speakers, receivers and cassette decks we grabbed, they were definitely cleaner and better taken care of than the average stuff I get. The owner of everything was an 'audiophile', who had a stroke,and a life long friend was liquidating all of his components.
So, after we loaded in all of the items into a truck, I asked about the reel to reel tapes that he had mentioned, and this is where it may get interesting for some of you. The guy took us into a 10 X 10 bedroom, and our jaws hit the ground. There were about 100 boxes, each containing 20-25 10.5" reel to reel tapes. There are apparently another 20 or so boxes in the guy's storage locker.
Here's what I know: thy are full of classical music, some are recorded radio shows, probably from FM, but I only opened two boxes to check the contents. There's a couple of boxes of 7" reels, but all the 10" reels have been sorted by composer. The owner had painstakingly labeled each box, and one of these cardboard boxes also contains index notes or cards indication what is on each tape.
Some are pancakes, some are plastic and some are metal reels. I saw 3M, Scotch, Agfa and Maxell brands. I took three pictures, they are attached.
I will have these here next Friday. What I want to do is sell them in bulk, and cheaply. I am guessing $10-15 a tape, discounts if you buy boxes. FOB Vancouver Canada or Blaine Wa, 98230.

Please post here if you're interested. I do plan on going through each box, at which point I'll have more details, and I'll post what I know. It definitely will be a grab-bag, and I'll find out what speed and what the track layout is once I start playing these.

Thanks!
Curt

Attachments

• IMG_1215.JPG
    IMG_1215.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 369
  • IMG_1217.JPG
    IMG_1217.JPG
    1,011.5 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_1216.JPG
    IMG_1216.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 362

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Omg!

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Any interesting tapes for sales . So far I have bought some old tapes , both CCIR & Nab with great titles but SQ so so

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Besides curts tapes you can also contact STB studio overhere in holland , nice guy , i think most of his tapes are 19 cm /sec pancake reels AGFA-gevaert per 525 1/4 inch , also large orchestral work , i have listened to a few sound pretty good gonna listen to some more this week and i ll update on the sound .
He also knows a lot about tape and recording and has some nice vintage stuff for sale , incl a philips EL 3501 studiorecorder although not for sale i think
About 25 euro a tape in paper original box
http://www.stbstudio.nl/

Curt Palme

Jan 25, 2012
Do not mock my hoarding abilities! :)

Here's shots of the lot, plus what's in a sample box. Turns out to be about 140 boxes total, with I'd say 110-120 full of 10" reels, the rest with accessories, hubs, 7" reels, and index cards.

What I am going to do for the first go-round is list the entire lot on ebay for $19K. That's under $10 a reel for the 10" tape, which is what the going rate is for an empty takeup reel. If there's no interest in the lot, I'll start breaking them up. Shipping would be via freight from 98230, or via Mediamail for smaller lots. Not breaking the lot up for about 2 weeks though.

Attachments

• IMG_1321.JPG
    IMG_1321.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 285
  • IMG_1322.jpg
    IMG_1322.jpg
    746.1 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_1323.JPG
    IMG_1323.JPG
    961.9 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_1324.JPG
    IMG_1324.JPG
    829.2 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_1326.JPG
    IMG_1326.JPG
    787 KB · Views: 268

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
i know zilch about tape...but from the photos, they certainly look like they are in remarkably good condition. wow...what a great find! Good hunting through that trove!

Curt Palme

Jan 25, 2012
They are now on eBay, search for 'Lot of 2000 10.5" tapes', and they will come up. More info as I play some of these..

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
They are now on eBay, search for 'Lot of 2000 10.5" tapes', and they will come up. More info as I play some of these..

A pity they are not in the European Union - here it is almost impossible to get any old tape with an 10.5" metal reel in such good condition under 20 euros!

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Looks like a steal for tape lovers , well maintaned tapes .
If the wholes sale doesnt work i ll buy a box incl shipping , classical work , guitar voices ...???.
Make that possibly 3 boxes , preferably 10,5 inch metal reels if not then pancakes , i saw mahler , Strauss verdi (opera ) ????.
It depends how they are recorded , are they recordings of live events , broadcasts or other ???

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing