Athens, Greece

vrac

May 9, 2018
Looking forward to our Regent Seven Seas cruise to Croatia, Montenegro, Turkey and the Greek Islands this coming summer. The cruise ends in Athens. I'm extending our trip to spend 2 extra days in Athens. Other than visiting the Acropolis what nearby sites and interesting towns are recommended visiting? Thanks in advance!

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
I've only been to Athens once, about 40 years ago. It was July and insufferably hot, so after a quick visit to the Acropolis, I escaped the city and took a delapidated bus to Piraeus and spent an enjoyable day visiting the various harbours. Sorry, not much help as I'm more interested in boats than antiquities! Stavros Niarchos's 1927 3-masted yacht Creole was in one harbour, looking rather in need of a makeover, but also dozens of other megayachts and inter-island ferries that anchor in the bay and reverse to a tiny jetty - like a bus depot!

Aldarion

Jul 18, 2016
Some more info about your interests would be helpful. Are you interested in art? Antiquities? Greek history? None of that? What *do* you usually like to visit in a European city?

vrac

May 9, 2018
Some more info about your interests would be helpful. Are you interested in art? Antiquities? Greek history? None of that? What *do* you usually like to visit in a European city?
I will be traveling with my family. Personally, I'm interested in picturesque sea side towns, historical ruins (other than the Acropolis) and local wineries. My wife, daughter and Mom definitely would love to visit galleries and of course shopping!

Aldarion

Jul 18, 2016
I will be traveling with my family. Personally, I'm interested in picturesque sea side towns, historical ruins (other than the Acropolis) and local wineries. My wife, daughter and Mom definitely would love to visit galleries and of course shopping!
The Acropolis is, of course, unmissable, as are the Acropolis Museum, the ancient Agora and the National Archaeological Museum. Other ancient sites one might visit are the ancient cemetery of Kerameikos (the potters’ district, where all those ancient painted Athenian vases you see in museums were made) and the Temple of Olympian Zeus. The newly refurbished National Gallery, the Benaki Museum, the Byzantine and Christian Museum (with its great cafe terrace), Museum of Cycladic Art (with great temporary exhibitions), the Basil & Elise Goulandris Foundation gallery and the National Museum of Contemporary Art are also very highly recommended. Stroll around in the Plaka, Monastiraki, Thiseion, Psyrri neighbourhoods and along the Dionysiou Areopagitou pedestrian street, also visit the Renzo Piano-designed Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center (housing the Athens Opera, the National Library, a park, cafes and a terrace with commanding views). In the summer, there’s a multitude of restaurants and cafes along several seaside promenades from Piraeus to Vouliagmeni, mostly reachable by tram.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Also worth a visit is the vast marble Panathenaic Stadium. I found it by chance when I visied Athens and was astonished by its size and grandure. At the time (40 years ago) is was open for anyone to freely wander in and clamber about.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing