Assistance on new cart

ICOREM

Sep 10, 2016
Hi all
I'm looking for a new cart for a Ortofon rmg-309d arm [my other arm/cart is the Reed 3p + Zyx Optimum]. Turntable is Brinkmann Balance 2 arm.Phonostage is Soulution 550.
I love the Zyx but i'm looking for a different animal so I will have a different sound than the Zyx on my other arm. There is also an option to upgrade the 2nd arm from the Ortofon to maybe a Kuzma 4point.
my short list so far is :

Lyra Etna SL Lambda
Koetsu Coralstone or Blue lace
Miyabi Labs Fuuga

I would appreciate your opinions.

Thanks - Itay

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany

ICOREM

Sep 10, 2016
Thanks Shakti
I do believe that my phonostage can handle the 0.2mv output but it might be that thw SPU will benefit from a SUT. I had before the SPU century a SPU meister silver with great results.

ICOREM

Sep 10, 2016
Anybody else can share his thougts on my original questions above ?
I will add to the short list the Air Tight Opus -1 [some described it in this forum as very similar to Zyx while others thought it is very different].
Thanks

Reactions: Ron Resnick

ICOREM

Sep 10, 2016
Thanks Albert
Can you elaborate in a few words on its virtues and comparisons [if you know] with Koetsu and Zyx ?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Anybody else can share his thougts on my original questions above ?
I will add to the short list the Air Tight Opus -1 [some described it in this forum as very similar to Zyx while others thought it is very different].
Thanks
The Opus1 is very different from your ZYX Optimum. ZYX Universe is also very different from the Optimum. The presentation of the Universe is more similar to the Opus1. The Optimum just draw a picture of its own in term of presentation. I haven't heard these carts in other systems though.

Last edited:

ICOREM

Sep 10, 2016

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi all
I'm looking for a new cart for a Ortofon rmg-309d arm [my other arm/cart is the Reed 3p + Zyx Optimum]. Turntable is Brinkmann Balance 2 arm.Phonostage is Soulution 550.
I love the Zyx but i'm looking for a different animal so I will have a different sound than the Zyx on my other arm. There is also an option to upgrade the 2nd arm from the Ortofon to maybe a Kuzma 4point.
my short list so far is :

Lyra Etna SL Lambda
Koetsu Coralstone or Blue lace
Miyabi Labs Fuuga

I would appreciate your opinions.

Thanks - Itay

Coralstone is one of the worst carts. I owned one that I tried on the kuzma xl4 and 4p art a friend's (dctom) and since have heard others.

Fuuga and Lyra are so different. Haven't heard the lambda but all other lyras are very different from the fuuga. You can't choose one over the other if you like both, you will need both. If you don't like one of them the answer is easy. But only you will be able to say that after listening as they are different flavors.

I am a big fan of the brinkmann balance.

Here in the link below you will see links to various brinkmann balance systems with other carts. Generally, both a full, grounded cart goes well with it and also a clean fast cart. Having not yet heard the lambda, If I owned a balance 2, I would have a SME 3012r with vdh Stradivarius, a brinkmann arm with a fuller sound like zyx or airtight, and choose based on personal preference. With more funds for an arm, I would install a linear tracker with top wing red sparrow. If you are not much of a classical and jazz person, drop the vdh and the red sparrow.

http://zero-distortion.org/brinkmann-balance-2/

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
One of the owners listed in my articles owns the balance with the koetsu jade with diamond cantilever, koetsu urushi, Decca London, and various SPUs. Stay away from the koetsu

ICOREM

Sep 10, 2016
Thanks Bonzo
What is your take on the Air Tight Opus ?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing