As We Get Older - Hearing Aids for High End Audio/Concerts & Home Theatre

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
This has been a very interesting thread. While I hope it never applies to me, I do realize it is probably inevitable.

Vinyl Valet

Dec 17, 2016
Tempe, AZ
Another data point: An old customer, now good friend in Little Rock, AK really likes his ReSound Lynx HAs. He has a good ear and a top of the line Naim system so I trust his judgement. He went through a similar evaluation process as Steve.

Steve Bruzonsky

May 15, 2010
Another data point: An old customer, now good friend in Little Rock, AK really likes his ReSound Lynx HAs. He has a good ear and a top of the line Naim system so I trust his judgement. He went through a similar evaluation process as Steve.

But for me, the ReSound Lynx did little. But this may depend upon the specifics of one's hearing loss! One size does not fit all!

Steve Bruzonsky

May 15, 2010
Vinyl Valet, as you are in Tempe, maybe you would like to join our Az Audio Video Club. We meet the last Wednesday of each month. If you are interested PM me with your phone #!

Steve Bruzonsky

May 15, 2010
I think my hearing may have changed a bit in the positive direction even without hearing aids recently. In listening to test tones, 8 kHz was perhaps about half of 6 kHz, and I couldn't hear 10 kHz. Now, 8 kHz is closer to 6 kHz, and I can hear 10 kHz at abut half of 8 or 6 kHz. Why?

I think I know the answer. It will surprise you. I was just hospitalized from Thursday - Monday for a ruptured appendix. A drain was inserted, appendix not removed yet, the abdominal bugs identified and IV antibiotics given. Since hospital release, I report daily for a dose of IV antibiotics. I follow up with doctors (Infectious Disease, General Surgeon, Primary Care). The drain will be removed AFTER the CT scan confirms all the gook is gone from my abdomen AND lab work confirms infection eradicated. Here's the catch. I think my appendix ruptured like 18 months ago. This is when I moved all components off three racks, moved racks away from the wall, and my custom installer installed my in ceiling Dolby Atmos/DTS-X speakers. Install completed Thursday. Friday I put everything back. An hour or two later, I got real sick, nausea, throwing up, with abdominal pain moving over to right side, next to my right hip replacement, severely. I laid in bed and couldn't move, the pain was so bad with any movement. I got up in the morning maybe 50% better, and as I got out of bed, I had a terribly painful muscle spasm at the right upper thigh, I could see the muscle spasming and moving down the right upper leg. I assumed I did too much physical activity, and in a few days I was fully recovered. Over the next 18 months, I had occasional (about every several months) flareups of some pain at right abdomen which went away in a few days. My family doctor a few times wrote this off as muscle spasm (I'm ditching him for sure, he never ordered tests, and 10 days ago saw me and did nothing). About two weeks ago symptoms came back and did not go away, hence I ended up in the ER last Thursday. By the way, when I initially reported to the ER, my temperature and blood pressure were in normal range. The ER doctor said she had seen this once before, where the patient was very strong and walled off and controlled the infection from a burst appendix for some time! For some time I have had some headaches daily, particularly watching movies/tv or reading. Since they administered antibiotics in the hospital, the headaches have practically disappeared. Right now I feel better than ever! But I surmise this may have affected my hearing at least some.

I will continue to demo hearing aids, and when I select a pair to buy, I will ask my Audiologist to give me a new hearing test first, to see if the results differ from earlier at all, and then to program the hearing aids for my then current hearing loss!

I am wondering if I should be in Ripley's Believe It Or Not! However, I can only surmise when my appendix ruptured, I don't have actual medical proof!

Steve Bruzonsky

May 15, 2010
Looks like I'll be on siesta from demoing hearing aids for a bit. Due to my appendix rupture, I'm on IV antibiotics at the hospital daily, and info is they can adversely affect hearing (hopefully only temporarily). So until I'm recovered (I hope) and off antibiotics no sense in further demoing - then I will continue. The 3rd company demo recently has been Opticon OPN-1 and so far not impressed, but again, who knows, as I've been on these antibiotics. Hopefully can resume this quest in a few weeks!

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

Steve Bruzonsky

May 15, 2010
I am doing great and hopefully will have a clear bill of heatlh, from my ruptured appendix, in a few days, then in a few weeks have the appendix removed laparoscopically. Meanwhile, been on one oral and different IV antiobiotics at outpatient hospital daily, and this will hopefully be done in a few days.
But an interesting effect of all this is that a few months ago when I had my hearing tested, test tones 8 kHz not near as loud as 6 kHz, and I couldn't hear 10 kHz or above at all. Now, I can hear 8 kHz pretty clearly, and 10 kHz not bad, nothing above. As I mentioned previously in this thread, now in looking back symptomwise I think my appendix actually ruptured some months ago, and it "sounds" like this may have negatively impacted my hearing. I was concerned about one IV antibiotic I had for like 5 days which could impact hearing - but no longer, my hearing without hearing aids seems really good now (at least compared to the past few months before this ruptured appendix antibiotic regimen). The last hearing aids I demod, Oticon OPN, didn't seem to do much for me. But who knows what did what for me given the appendix issues! When I am fully recovered I will have my hearing retested and then continue the quest of what my hearing loss is and to extent any hearing aids will improve it sufficiently to be worth my $$. So far, I really like the Phonak, but again, given what I've been going through, I need to fully recover and then start the process over!

Vinyl Valet

Dec 17, 2016
Tempe, AZ
Glad to hear you're feeling better and expect to have a full recovery. Icing on the cake is your improved hearing. Interesting.

Steve Bruzonsky

May 15, 2010
Update: I'm more than 6 weeks out from my IV antiobiotics for my ruptured appendix, IVs started Dec 20 and ended Jan 10! Subjectively my hearing now seems the best I can ever remember, at live concerts and for two channel and movies/tv in my theater. Not just in terms of frequency, but also re dynamic range, gunshots, explosions, etc. Unquestionably my illness had negatively affected my hearing for sometime.

My repeat abdominal CT scan will be start of March, then see surgeon and hopefully schedule laparoscopic surgery to remove appendix. Then once I recover I'll follow up and get my hearing retested. Will be interesting to compare with my prior hearing test some months ago when led to me demoing hearing aids!

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
Steve, sorry to hear of the health issues you have had the last 6 months.
I'm 66 and can appreciate when life begins to catch up with you one way or another.

My entire family has had Tinnitus and general deterioration of hearing with age. My wife had been after me to consider hearing aids for a number of years. Part of my reluctance was listening to music and generally dealing with them.
After hours of internet search I found the Widex site and I found the company began by catering to musicians that were having hearing issues.
I found an ENT group that had a Dr that specialized in audiology and handled all parts of the hearing aid process.
The hearing aids I chose have 4 different programs that can be tailored to the frequencies you need to improve.
My issue was a dip that started at about 400Hz to just under 4000Hz. I chose to have one program set to improve my hearing for music listening. It took 4-5 visits back to get different parts of the program adjusted. In the end my ability to hear smaller details such as multiple voices in harmonies and knowing which singer was singing which part was amazing to me.
The downside, sort of, is the cost. They were $6000, which is a lot of money but for the service, well worth it. For the last 3 years I have seen the Dr every 6 months or more often if needed. With each appointment I was given free batteries and the parts that get replaced with use at no cost to me. The only thing I had to pay for was a new remote to control. the programs and volume, as I broke it. I had the option to use a program on my phone but preferred the remote.

Mine had a 3 year warranty that ended in mid February so, last week at the suggestion of the Dr we returned them to Widex and they inspect and replace any parts to bring them back to original specs, again at no extra cost. It took 6 days total and I had a basic loaner model that I had set to my music listening program and that worked as well as the unit I own.

Widex also has a 90 day return policy, from the original date of purchase. You get a complete refund less the original hearing exam if you are not happy with the results provided with their product.
I can't say enough about the quality of the product or service. Hope this helps if you go the hearing aid direction.

Brad

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Steve Guttenberg (aka: The Audiophiliac) raved about the Etymotic ER20 XS earplugs. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure as they say. Here is a video he posted about them..

Last edited:

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
And I just saw this article: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/20/smarter-living/-medical-tech-startups-insurance.html (hope you can read this as I know the NYT articles are sometimes blocked). Company they ref: is https://shop.eargo.com/eargo-neo and it appears to be a legit product at a reasonable cost. I am considering getting a hearing aid. About 30 years ago I underwent a stapedectomy for what was a broken stapes (middle ear bone connecting ear drum to inner ear). Since that time I've had less than great hearing, though not terrible. A few years ago I developed what I think is tinnitus (hissing that "appears" to be in that same ear. However it changes volume and even appears for short periods in the other ear. Comes in cycles, almost seem circadian. Anyway, I've held back simply because of concern with a hearing aid helping but also hurting my audio experience of music. I suspect I'll need to find an audiologist who can help me with choosing the right options in hearing aids. Probably better than buy/try/return process.

The one important bit about the Eargo's seems to be any ability to tailor the sonic spectrum in any meaningful way. Even my relatively inexpensive Nuheara Boost IEM's work with an iPhone app to do this. And it works quite nicely.

Last edited:

Steve Bruzonsky

May 15, 2010
Steve Bruzonsky;57551050 said:
Update: I'm more than 6 weeks out from my IV antiobiotics for my ruptured appendix, IVs started Dec 20 and ended Jan 10! Subjectively my hearing now seems the best I can ever remember, at live concerts and for two channel and movies/tv in my theater. Not just in terms of frequency, but also re dynamic range, gunshots, explosions, etc. Unquestionably my illness had negatively affected my hearing for sometime.

My repeat abdominal CT scan will be start of March, then see surgeon and hopefully schedule laparoscopic surgery to remove appendix. Then once I recover I'll follow up and get my hearing retested. Will be interesting to compare with my prior hearing test some months ago when led to me demoing hearing aids!

CT scan clear, full bill of health, appendix with tiny hole looks normal and don't require surgery to remove. YEA!

What's really intriquing is after being on antibiotics awhile, my hearing cleared up and got better. No question about it. I play test tones from a hi rez 2XHD demo disc. Last few months of last year, without hearing aids I couldn't hear 10 kHz and maybe 50% 8 kHz at best. Now, I can hear up to 12.5 kHz though it may be reduced some. Though with the Theta Casablanca IV-A with Dirac room correction my best recently was 10 kHz, now with Trinnov Altitude 32 just installed and superior room correction, etc I can hear 12.5 kHz! I am going to see my Audiologist and get my hearing retested in a few weeks and I anticipate that my hearing is much improved and really doubt hearing aids will give me benefit now - whereas last November, I demod Phonak hearing aids and at that time I could hear the difference both with music in my theatre and at live concerts locally.

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
Did your doctor indicate whether your hearing will continue as you now experience it? If so, I guess you'd had a biological ailment that was the source of your hearing impairment. Do you think your appendix was the root cause?

Steve Bruzonsky

May 15, 2010
Did your doctor indicate whether your hearing will continue as you now experience it? If so, I guess you'd had a biological ailment that was the source of your hearing impairment. Do you think your appendix was the root cause?

I think my appendix issues were the root cause. Appendix issues all cleared up, presto, I can hear better!

My appendix General Surgeon of course isn't an expert on hearing.

My Audiologist has had a few instances over the course of her career where patients hearing improved after being ill.

Doctors do not predict the future. What counts is "I can hear you" now!!!

Steve Bruzonsky

May 15, 2010
My Audiologist office repeated my hearing test today - now that I am fully recovered from my ruptured appendix and my immunity is back up to normal. I swear I hear better these days than the last few months of last year when I demod hearing aids back when my appendix was bothering me although I didn't realize it for some time! And with my old Theta Casablanca IV-A SSP I could only hear test tone 8 kHz roughly about half of 6 kHz and I couldn't hear 10 kHz, yet after getting out of hospital and being on IV antibiotics for several weeks and recovering I could hear up to and including 10 kHz pretty good - and with new Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP I can even hear pretty good a 12.5 kHz test tones. Yet hearing tests measure to 8 kHz. And my hearing test today came out about the same just a tad different than my one last November. So I have an appointment with the Audiologist April 11th and will then demo the new model Phonak Marvel hearing aids. Should be interesting.

Steve Bruzonsky

May 15, 2010
So in this HA demo I've been to a number of concerts: Spyro Gyra; Christian McBride Big Band; Salt River Brass; and Mike Vax Ron Romm. I've also watched tv/movies and listened to lots of music in my dedicated audiophile home theatre. Bottom line is that yea, unless the HAs really provide benefit pain in butt to wear them poking in your ears (HA!) but more significantly, they haven't improved my sonics. Sound is a bit different with HAs in at least at times. With HAs in the instruments and vocals are maybe squeezed some - still sound great - but a different sound. Until I trained my ear/brain, it was easy to think with HAs in that highs like cymbals were clearer - they weren't, they were simply moved more to the forefront as the image was squeezed some. When something sounds different even a bit its easy to think maybe it sounds better. At first in this demo I thought music in my theatre sounded better - but after listening a bit, I realized the squeeze effect and that e.g. trumpets sound more real and better not "squeezed" in a bit with other instruments but allowed to bloom in more air around them!

What's interesting is that when I first demod HAs last Nov-Dec before my appendix rupture diagnosis and IV antibiotic treatment, the first demo of Phonaks I felt helped me, but the next two demos of Resound and Oticon I felt did nothing for me - much like my current demo of the latest Phonak Marvel model.

Also funny is my first Phonak HAs demo found benefits in noisy restaurants and places. But my current demo doesn't seem to offer hardly any change in such places.

Anyway, the demo HAs are going back and I won't even miss them. This is good. But this doesn't change the fact that as we get older, HAs may well benefit some of us. But at least in my case with "only" mild to moderate hearing loss I have painstakingly determined that HAs at this point in my life offer me no benefit.

I can only surmise that either I am crazy, or that my health is much inproved now after ruptured appendix and weeks of IV antibiotics that even though my current hearing test hasn't changed much from the one last November, that my brain interpretation and functioning and compensation has changed quite positively.

Reactions: Eichenbaum

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing