Aries Cerat Kassandra II Ref DAC: Wow!

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
This is just an initial report on the Aries Cerat Kassandra II ref DAC and it contains only one word. WOW! And this is only the "baby" dac from AC.

View attachment 67676
Actually the new "baby" AC DAC is the Helene. It's prolly my next purchase..

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com

Billygxx

Nov 23, 2015
Hi
Josh, you could have told me you posted a question In this forum. I do own the MSB Select 2 with dual power supplies and upgraded clock. I also have the LE Kassandra. On weight the Kassandra certainly wins being that I cannot even lift the power supply while I can lift all 3 MSB modules. The problem with making a call of “best” for me is that I have not compared them directly. The MSB lives in my transistor based system and the Kassandra lives in my tubed based system. Since both rooms are flawed I like to compare via phones. Through the phones, they both can sound stunning but even the phones are very different. The MSB Select headphone amp only allows for electrostatic drivers(Stax SR009 S) while the gigantic Aires Cerat amps drive more conventional phones(Focal Utopia). Additionally the MSB is driven by a Taiko Extreme server while the Aires Cerat is driven by an Aurender SW 20 SE. Hence, it’s impossible to say which is the best. So, maybe one day I will insert the MSB into the Aires Cerat system or vice versa(Josh would have to do the lifting in that case) and then I could officially pronounce a winner. Ultimately though I think it will boil down to a matter of personal preference-they are both exceptional products. Since Aires Cerat is introducing a new top of the line DAC, that could change the whole paradigm.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hi
Josh, you could have told me you posted a question In this forum. I do own the MSB Select 2 with dual power supplies and upgraded clock. I also have the LE Kassandra. On weight the Kassandra certainly wins being that I cannot even lift the power supply while I can lift all 3 MSB modules. The problem with making a call of “best” for me is that I have not compared them directly. The MSB lives in my transistor based system and the Kassandra lives in my tubed based system. Since both rooms are flawed I like to compare via phones. Through the phones, they both can sound stunning but even the phones are very different. The MSB Select headphone amp only allows for electrostatic drivers(Stax SR009 S) while the gigantic Aires Cerat amps drive more conventional phones(Focal Utopia). Additionally the MSB is driven by a Taiko Extreme server while the Aires Cerat is driven by an Aurender SW 20 SE. Hence, it’s impossible to say which is the best. So, maybe one day I will insert the MSB into the Aires Cerat system or vice versa(Josh would have to do the lifting in that case) and then I could officially pronounce a winner. Ultimately though I think it will boil down to a matter of personal preference-they are both exceptional products. Since Aires Cerat is introducing a new top of the line DAC, that could change the whole paradigm.

How diplomatic :D

Reactions: gian60

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Christoph, you weren't really expecting an answer, were you?

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
Thanks Billy, guess the verdict is still up in the air on this one. The Aries Cerat sounds like good build quality but i must admit - not too convinced on the weight . A higher bmi does not necessarily mean better in every regards:) it sounds a champion on the scales:)

verita7

Oct 1, 2020
Yes the Kassandra Mk 11 is a phenomenal DAC. Have one in my reference system along with the Pink Faun 2.16X server and Technical Brain Preamp and Monoblocks

verita7

Oct 1, 2020
The other 2 DACs that are amazing are the WaDAX Atlantis and Reference DACs and the Trinity Reference and the Silver Series DACS. Both also mind blowing.

lordcloud

Jul 5, 2016
Round Rock, Texas
Yes the Kassandra Mk 11 is a phenomenal DAC. Have one in my reference system along with the Pink Faun 2.16X server and Technical Brain Preamp and Monoblocks

The Technical Brain monoblocks are one of my dream amps!

RdW

Apr 8, 2018
Netherlands
Once you are dialed-in on the MSB program below Select, the Kassandra needs to be really good to knock-out the MSB. Unless your dealer is happy trade in against MSB new price.... Having said that, if you are in the market for one of these fantastic DACs, you might have a hard time to choose...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing