Aries Cerat Kassandra II Ref DAC: Wow!

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Hi Francisco.
I do not understand why you say that I mix input with output. Stavros asks me what input I use and I reply that XLR and I advance indicating that the worst quality perceived by me when I choose the output of Kassandra 10v, can not be saturation of the AR input, since in XLR mode supports up to 18v.
On the other hand you write textually "I do not see the point of using such high input level with a line preamplfier having 12 dB gain" and I think that here you are the one who confuses input with output, since I should say ".... .... high output level ....... "(in the Kassandra).
To finish, it is not a question of wanting to use one output or another by the more or less high level of the signal, but because the designer himself indicates that in principle the 10v should sound better (and this is not the objective that we all pursue). ?) Reasons for this, Stavros may say so, but if the output transformers are reducing, the 10v output uses less transformer windings.
Saudações

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
I think this may be pre-amplifier dependant. I hear the 10v as sounding more dynamic and 'free', it is quite clear the difference. I heard it on my Passive preamplifier before I got the Genus, and I hear it on the Genus possibly more so. Morricab also prefers the 10v.

Francisco, another aspect that Stavros has designed into his pre-amplifiers to power amplifier connections, is the AC linking technology. It makes the most of the linked power supplies and further increased the sound quality. This feature is now standard with the Incito S as well as the Impera Ref II.

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015
Hello gents

Peace .
1.On the -6db (5V) the two secondary windings are in parallel where in 0db(10V) they are in series.So same winding turns number,put different configuration.
2.On series (10V) the output transformer is flat to 200KHz where in 5V it is up to 160Khz.this is not enough to explain the sonic differences.Also at 5V the output impedance is even lower than the 50ohm of the 10V, that is at 12.5ohm.
In paper these parameters would not make sufficient sonic differences,and even then the 5V should in theory sound better,but 10V sounds better(even marginally and very system dependent.)

The IC used for volume control in the ARC has hard limit on input level.If the ic was just a resistor network it would have no upper limit.Since it has upper limit, internally is not just a resistive network ,it means it is is behaving differently in 1V than in 10V.That means that a signal even at a -4~6db lower that the hard limit, the iC would not sound the same as with -12db max from hard limit signals.

Cheers
Stavros

Reactions: RubenV.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi Francisco.
I do not understand why you say that I mix input with output. Stavros asks me what input I use and I reply that XLR and I advance indicating that the worst quality perceived by me when I choose the output of Kassandra 10v, can not be saturation of the AR input, since in XLR mode supports up to 18v.
(...)

Can I ask where did you get this 18V value ?

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Audio Reserch website. I looked at Reference 6, the values of 5 SE, I thought they were the same.
Looking at Audio Research Database I see that the Ref 5 has a maximum imput of 20v XLR and 10v SE.
When I get home I will look at the 5SE documentation.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Hello gents

Peace .
1.On the -6db (5V) the two secondary windings are in parallel where in 0db(10V) they are in series.So same winding turns number,put different configuration.
2.On series (10V) the output transformer is flat to 200KHz where in 5V it is up to 160Khz.this is not enough to explain the sonic differences.Also at 5V the output impedance is even lower than the 50ohm of the 10V, that is at 12.5ohm.
In paper these parameters would not make sufficient sonic differences,and even then the 5V should in theory sound better,but 10V sounds better(even marginally and very system dependent.)

The IC used for volume control in the ARC has hard limit on input level.If the ic was just a resistor network it would have no upper limit.Since it has upper limit, internally is not just a resistive network ,it means it is is behaving differently in 1V than in 10V.That means that a signal even at a -4~6db lower that the hard limit, the iC would not sound the same as with -12db max from hard limit signals.

Cheers
Stavros

Oh, Peace, no doubt.
I did not take Francisco's post as an attack, nor did my response pretend to be aggressive.
Also we are both Iberian neighbors, so with more reason.:)
Regards

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
The Kassandra performs regardless, but into the Aries Cerat Genus, oh my...... a serious combination indeed. To me, the DAC moves the sound away from a synthetic and processed signature of many other DACs, to one with more body and depth, but crucially retains detail. It is not a cheat, real liquid smoothness and zero fatigue. Finally to my ears, we have digital that equals a top turntable.

Reactions: morricab

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Digital that equals top analog!
Ron's Hyperbole Alert activated!

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Digital that equals top analog!
Ron's Hyperbole Alert activated!
Believe my son, it is possible...... and in this world. And without 1000W amps, oversampling into the stratosphere, 2 x external power supplies and external clocks in CNC boxes, all the other jiggery pokery. I can hear it, you should too.

Samsoum

Sep 9, 2018
Hi fellas,

I lately went to brussel for 24 hours( i have discounted tickets ) to hear a full aries cerat system wich belong to michel warlop dealer of the same brand.

I thought i ll share my impressions to anybody interested in the brand .

The system consisted of symphonia speakers, impera signature preamp, concero power amps mono, and the kassandra signature dac, all feeded by an evo 432 reference streamer.

The room was stuningly treated , acoustically,by smt company.

Firstable , i would like to thank mike, for his kindness and expertise.( he picked me from the airport and took me to my hotel despite going on long trip after)

80% of the session was done by feeding the kassandra via usb from my macbook pro running roon , and the sound was just outstanding.

I was there to hear the kassandra dac sound character , and i was delighted by the presentation.

I never been to shows before, and the only great system i heard in my life was in my dealer showroom where i leave, but the aries system exceeds that system by far.

The sound was big, detailed,rich , clear!

When i hear the drums , it sound like drums, piano , guitar, they sound real.

And the harmonics! Oh my god!

The music sounds real!

What i noticed the most with this system is, i felt myself listening to music and not to the system, and i wanted to stay all night listening if i could!

All aspects of sq were abundant: dynamic, soundstage, TIMBRES, details, depth, etc etc....

I m waiting now, for my kassandra ref2 to come!

Bravo to stavros !

Regards

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Hi fellas,

I lately went to brussel for 24 hours( i have discounted tickets ) to hear a full aries cerat system wich belong to michel warlop dealer of the same brand.

The system consisted of symphonia speakers, impera signature preamp, concero power amps mono, and the kassandra signature dac, all feeded by an evo 432 reference streamer.

Firstable , i would like to thank mike, for his kindness and expertise.( he picked me from the airport and took me to my hotel despite going on long trip after)

80% of the session was done by feeding the kassandra via usb from my macbook pro running roon , and the sound was just outstanding.

I was there to hear the kassandra dac sound character , and i was delighted by the presentation.

I never been to shows before, and the only great system i heard in my life was in my dealer showroom where i leave, but the aries system exceeds that system by far.

The music sounds real!

What i noticed the most with this system is, i felt myself listening to music and not to the system, and i wanted to stay all night listening if i could!

All aspects of sq were abundant: dynamic, soundstage, TIMBRES, details, depth, etc etc....

Bravo to stavros !

Regards
Very nice. The Kassandra will transform your system. What is the rest of your system?

Reactions: Samsoum

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
Not that I'm trying to steal the show, but that particular system is fully suspended on our platforms and racks, being also responsible for the sound :)

Cheers,

Hi fellas,

The music sounds real!

Bravo to stavros !

Regards

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Hi fellas,

The music sounds real!

Bravo to stavros !

Regards
Congratulations for your Kassandra

Reactions: Samsoum

Samsoum

Sep 9, 2018
Very nice. The Kassandra will transform your system. What is the rest of your system?
In search for a source for kassandra, but probably( initially) sotm200 ultra neo+ uptone js2 lps or nucleus+ same lps.
Pre+ power amp custom made( fully balanced analogue class A)
W.a sabrina.
Cables: siltech sq classic signature 110+audience 24 se speaker cables.

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
Is there local dealer for aries cerat in Singapore?

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Is there local dealer for aries cerat in Singapore?

I do not believe we have one at this time. Please reach out to Aries Cerat directly to potentially arrange something.

Samsoum

Sep 9, 2018
So the final day came and kassandra took place on my system and started playing !!!

I waited 83 days 18 hours and 30 mn and 45s for it after the order
The first hour ,i was very stressed eventhough i was aware that this dac was special,why? Because bass was a bit shy and overal sounded kind of recessed; but tonality ; timbres; soundstage; etc etc was already there and expanding.....

When i opened the box i thought this thing is so hugeeee! But built quality is top notch;and the look is outstanding to my taste! ( my daughter said oops it s ugly)
My wife likes the look as well.

Tube bias settings was with the help of the master stavros the chief designer, very helpful and available instantly thru sms for any question or inquiry.
Tube bias was left as from factory settings: 2,33 v with mullard tubes.
At my surprise , i found an extra mullard tube pair on the box( a gift from stavros), the standard ones being the siemens.

The manuel is very helpful ; clear and concise!

The kassandra took place on a temporary system consisting of pre+ power amp from artisanal master ; they consist of fully analogue balanced class A pre and fully balanced class A 50wpc and 750 class Ab wpc power amp.
IC to the pre are the siltech 110 classic mk2 rca.
( mbl c51 on long loan ; is next to be connected to kassandra)
Source is macbook pro with roon 1.6 ,usb cable is sablon elite panatela.
Speakers are the W.A sabrina and sc are the audience 24 se
Power conditioner is isotek sirius
Pc siltech on kassandra
Hms from isotek to the wall

I decided writing this review in many steps in order to give good impressions to interested audiophiles and this will continue till 300 hours.
So i m writing now this after 24 hours of running continuously the kassandra.
( 30 hours were consumed on aries cerat factory according to the manuel)
So first impressions; are very good and as i expected this dac to be: emotionally envolving!

Like any audiophile do, when he receives a new equipment, went thru my favorites test tracks , but later i found myself lost on tracks i never heard; and were chosen by roon radio and i couldn t skip or stop those tracks!
I can go thru all the tick boxes we like( soundstage, imaging, seperation, tonality; etc etc); but i will just say; as of now everything is there and more: timbre and tonality are exceptionnaly good compared to my compared dacs(dave,ps audio direcstream,qutest, oppo ha1,denafrips terminator,questyle cma400,hugo 1)except:bass and mid bass were overhelming,( too much to my taste)
The dac is very very musical !

Today ; after 4 days continuous playing kassandra have logged in 124 hours.
Today session was done in the presence of some sharp ears.

This evening was a revelation: many testing and swapping but clearer mind and lot of foot tapping.
We tested 3 amps combinations ; 3 sources; and the one and only kass.
So heres the combinations:
1_ macbook pro Running Roon_ sablon usb elite_ kass_silteck classic 110 mk2 rca_mbl c51 integrated_ isotek pc_isotek sirius conditionner
2_sotm neo 200 se + sp500 _ sablon usb elite_kass_silteck classic 110 mk2rca_mbl c51_isotek pc_sirius conditionner
3_aurender n10 _sablon usb/ aq wel aes/ true signal coax_ kass_silteck classic 110/ aq fire xlr_ gryphon 300 _ sablon king pc_ isotek sirius conditionner
4_ aurender n10_sablon usb_kass_silteck classic rca_ pre_ aq fire xlr _amp_sablon king pc _ isotek sirius conditioner
My self it was n2: most musically envolving ; foot taping and happiness.
Best connection output for kass is rca.
Best input is usb; then aes; then coax
Kass was playing mostly with true signal pc then silteck pc.
Obviously , this evening session wasn t a kassandra comparaison but more a discovery for a fellow friends of the so waited dac.

4 of the fellas present share the same feelings and impressions as mine: mbl+ kassandra was the best combo.
One was conservative,and insisted sharing thoughts after 200 hours burn in.

Any how, back to listening this morning with: sotm neo 200 se+sp500_kass_mbl.
Bias tube was set to 2.0 v.
More to come, to be continued.......
Thks
Sami

Sent from my iPad 80E9E016-F79F-473B-877B-F9AE33422E66.jpeg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing