Are Transports Obsolete?

It surprises me in this day and age that transports continue to be developed, and presumably sold. I know this has at least been in part to the physical media aspects of spinning one's CD library. Also, Transports, particularly of the cost no object variety, can be more 'sexy' than servers.

We 'know' that server technology has, for all intents and purposes, eclipsed transports in the last few years, but the best of the best transports continue to garner enthusiasm if not raves from some reviewers that I really respect.

Are there any out there that, having bought a server, have recently been drawn back or towards the world of transports?
What is your server and why and what transports have you or are you reconsidering?

Last edited:
No he just kept his EMM Labs combination player for sacd and used his MBL dac and transport for redbook. I think your EMM Labs uses the Esoteric combi drive. How does it compare to the modded Oppo ?

That's not a fair comparison - the TX2 is a $25k transport with a top PC and HRS isolation platform linked to my DA2 via ST fiber.

My point was that the Oppo with a good LPS is not necessarily outperformed by dedicated transports in the $1k to $3k range. Certainly if you have the budget you can find a transport that significantly outperforms the Oppo but no one (sane) cross shops $1k and $25k transports.

That's not a fair comparison - the TX2 is a $25k transport with a top PC and HRS isolation platform linked to my DA2 via ST fiber.

My point was that the Oppo with a good LPS is not necessarily outperformed by dedicated transports in the $1k to $3k range. Certainly if you have the budget you can find a transport that significantly outperforms the Oppo but no one (sane) cross shops $1k and $25k transports.
Hey i never claimed to be sane ! My comparisons have been with the drive sections of older standalone redbook players using Phillips pro and JVC pro toploading mechanisms. I wanted to like the Oppo i bought it, but i don’t even like it as backup player. But the sound from the internal Netflix player is excellent, and i use it for that every day, something they left out in the latest models. The Tidal streaming from my model sucks to. All just my opinion of course ;)

Hey i never claimed to be sane ! My comparisons have been with the drive sections of older standalone redbook players using Phillips pro and JVC pro toploading mechanisms. I wanted to like the Oppo i bought it, but i don’t even like it as backup player. But the sound from the internal Netflix player is excellent, and i use it for that every day, something they left out in the latest models. The Tidal streaming from my model sucks to. All just my opinion of course ;)

I would encourage you to try a LPS before giving up. It doesn't have to be crazy expensive - one of the $150-$200 zerozone units from China on ebay is all you need. The oppo also significantly benefits from isolation and a quality PC.

I would encourage you to try a LPS before giving up. It doesn't have to be crazy expensive - one of the $150-$200 zerozone units from China on ebay is all you need. The oppo also significantly benefits from isolation and a quality PC.
I would not say i have given up, i have 3 good top loaders on hand when i play redbook, and 90% of my listening is analog anyway. The Oppo is good for burning in cables too, sometimes i leave it running on repeat for days. But i will try a LPS, it will probably improve the sound from Netflix too. Thanks you for the advice.

I would not say i have given up, i have 3 good top loaders on hand when i play redbook, and 90% of my listening is analog anyway. The Oppo is good for burning in cables too, sometimes i leave it running on repeat for days. But i will try a LPS, it will probably improve the sound from Netflix too. Thanks you for the advice.

It will improve both audio and video from the Oppo, including if it is only used as a digital transport.

If you are looking at the market as a whole, I would say yes the days of a transport are over. Sure you will have some hardcore audiophiles who will use a transport just like you have some who have reel to reel decks.

From what I have read and experienced, the best sounding CD (only) transports were the old Philips swing arms from the 80's and 90's.

Also in my experience, the transport can have as great (or greater) an impact as the DAC.

I never liked SACD, and am not into streaming, and actually went the other way, collecting first pressing CDs which I find (in most cases) to sound superior to later issues.

Reactions: Lagonda
IMHO, MSB Technology’s best sounding digital input is their Select or Reference transport with their proprietary asynchronous Pro ISL optical connection.

Ken

Reactions: CKKeung
All I know is that I only spin CD/SACDs when I first purchase them and then when I rip them on my PC. After that it is all from my NAS or Qobuz.

I am actually researching moving to a DAC/Pre combo front end and selling my spinner.

Ripping Bluray Audio and SACD's is still a multistep process using unusual hardware and/or software, requiring significantly more time and attention than ripping CD's or just playing the discs. Anyone can decide they don't care about the sound quality or the music available in those formats, but individuals (especially audiophiles) can rationalize anything that doesn't fit into their own idiosyncratic worldview.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing