Apple Reportedly Developing New Audio Format for Adaptive Streaming

So far this is about improving the quality of their current standard 256kbps AAC files. I wonder if the market for hi-res audio is even big enough to attract a company like Apple?

Tim

Last edited:
Disappointed that this is same as Mastered for Itunes.

Well if it helps at all, it means they'll have the raw material to do hi res, should they ever choose to. That seem like a pretty remote possibility, but then again, as I've said before, it's not like Apple's mass market was crying out for better quality when they went from 128 to 256. And it's not like the kid on the corner with his IEMs and iPod is demanding a better quality of master. Apple, I think, just does this kind of thing because they can, because the technology becomes available, the bandwidth for delivering it becomes common enough, etc. I think they do it because what they sell is, and always has been secondary to delvering the best customer experience they can.

And it wouldn't be the first time they delivered a better customer experience and it took awhile for the customer to notice.

FWIW, the "Mastered for iTunes" stuff sounds good. I'll take a good master at 256kbps over a mediocre one in hi-res any day. I'll be watching that section of the iTunes store closely.

Tim

Adaptive streaming means they will encode into multiple bitrates and then depending on link speed, they will play the right one. With bandwidth caps and high wireless bandwidth costs, it doesn't make sense to stream 256kps to a phone so likely they will go all the way down to 64 kbps and possibly deploy AAC+ (and upgrade their phones to support the same).

This technology also then allows going up above 256kbps but I suspect they won't go there.

And it wouldn't be the first time they delivered a better customer experience and it took awhile for the customer to notice.

Best hope I've seen for SQ to become more valued by the masses.

Adaptive streaming means they will encode into multiple bitrates and then depending on link speed, they will play the right one. With bandwidth caps and high wireless bandwidth costs, it doesn't make sense to stream 256kps to a phone so likely they will go all the way down to 64 kbps and possibly deploy AAC+ (and upgrade their phones to support the same).

This technology also then allows going up above 256kbps but I suspect they won't go there.

Sounds like a great reason to stay out of the cloud. Interesting, though. Spotify is 128kbps for the free service, "up to" 320 for the subscription.
But maybe that doesn't apply to mobile devices...don't know.
Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing