Apple error 53 scam

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Peter,

AFAIK, your experience reflect the vast majority of Apple users. The vocal minority is what we end up all reading about.

cheers,
alex

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
iPhone 6 update: I just had the touch screen/glass replaced on my iPhone 6. Without Applecare, extended warranty or anything, it only cost me $109. I had thought I would have to by an entire new phone for $600+. That was a very nice surprise. Mid afternoon in the store. Lots of people but plenty of employees, so the wait (without taking numbers) was about three minutes. They replaced the parts while I waited with no prior appointment. I also bought a black leather case so that the phone is much less slippery and it is not very bulky.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the customer service. The repair cost and wait time were very reasonable, IMO, and all is back to normal.

I still don't know what error 53 is, and I find the Microsoft/Apple back and forth between the site founders to be quite amusing. The man crush insinuations are really funny in a reciprocal kind of way. I'm sure, I think, that they are meant in jest. East Coast humor is a bit different.

I asked if there are any Microsoft stores in the mall, and no one seemed to think so.

Peter,

AFAIK, your experience reflect the vast majority of Apple users. The vocal minority is what we end up all reading about.

cheers,
alex

So very true.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
iPhone 6 update: I just had the touch screen/glass replaced on my iPhone 6. Without Applecare, extended warranty or anything, it only cost me $109. I had thought I would have to by an entire new phone for $600+. That was a very nice surprise. Mid afternoon in the store. Lots of people but plenty of employees, so the wait (without taking numbers) was about three minutes. They replaced the parts while I waited with no prior appointment. I also bought a black leather case so that the phone is much less slippery and it is not very bulky.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the customer service. The repair cost and wait time were very reasonable, IMO, and all is back to normal.

I still don't know what error 53 is, and I find the Microsoft/Apple back and forth between the site founders to be quite amusing. The man crush insinuations are really funny in a reciprocal kind of way. I'm sure, I think, that they are meant in jest. East Coast humor is a bit different.

I asked if there are any Microsoft stores in the mall, and no one seemed to think so.

Thx Peter for sharing your positive experience.

And yes, this is a fun humorous thread by two great humorous guys. :D ...I have great time inside this thread, thx guys. :b

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I thought I would post an addendum to this.....

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205628

If you see error 53 and your iPhone or iPad gets stuck on the ‘Connect to iTunes‘ screen
Get help when you see error 53 and your device gets stuck on the "Connect to iTunes" screen.

About error 53

After you try to update or restore your iOS device in iTunes on your Mac or PC, you might see error 53 in iTunes and "Connect to iTunes" on your device. Error 53 appears when a device fails a security test. This test was designed to check whether Touch ID works properly before the device leaves the factory, and wasn’t intended to affect customers.
For anyone who experienced error 53, Apple has released an update to iOS 9.2.1 to allow you to successfully restore your device using iTunes on your Mac or PC. Use the steps in this article to restore and recover your device. If you believe that you paid for an out-of-warranty device replacement based on an error 53 issue, contact Apple Support to ask about reimbursement.
What you should do

If iTunes is open on your Mac or PC, quit iTunes.
If your iOS device is plugged into your computer, unplug it.
Make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes.
Connect your iOS device to your computer with a USB cable.
Open iTunes and select your device.
When you see the option in iTunes to Restore or Update, click Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS and restore your device without erasing your data.*
If you can't get past the Apple logo screen, force restart** your iOS device. When you see the option to Restore or Update, click Restore.
When you see your iOS device's Hello screen, follow the onscreen steps to set up your device.
If you previously backed up your device, you can set up from your backup.
When you see the screen for Touch ID, tap Set up Touch ID later.
If Touch ID on your device didn't work before you saw error 53, the feature still won't work after you update or restore your device. Contact Apple Support to ask about service options for Touch ID.
* If the restore won't finish and you see an error code other than error code 53, learn what to do.
** To force restart your device, press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons for at least ten seconds, until you see the Apple logo again.

bedman

Apr 25, 2016
I just dropped my iPhone 6 two days ago. Shattered screen. First time. But the phone still works, so I'm hesitating to replace it because of the time/hassle involved. I can't stand the cases because they ruin the sleek and very cool industrial design and they add bulk which may be too much for my pocket. The 6 is too smooth and slippery, though and I have had to be very careful not to drop it more often. I actually miss my flip phones because of the ergonomics and I don't really like putting a sheet of glass up to my ear/cheek. It is not comfortable. Apple is what it is. I do like my Apple computer.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I just dropped my iPhone 6 two days ago. Shattered screen. First time. But the phone still works, so I'm hesitating to replace it because of the time/hassle involved. I can't stand the cases because they ruin the sleek and very cool industrial design and they add bulk which may be too much for my pocket. The 6 is too smooth and slippery, though and I have had to be very careful not to drop it more often. I actually miss my flip phones because of the ergonomics and I don't really like putting a sheet of glass up to my ear/cheek. It is not comfortable. Apple is what it is. I do like my Apple computer.

My sentiments exactly. I have a 6 and just got the screen replaced. I also bought a black leather case at the Apple store to make it less slippery. It still looks cool and does not easily slip out of my hand anymore. I miss my flip phone too. My buddy still has his, and it is very cool.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I am averaging about one drop of my Samsung Edge phone per month on all kind of surfaces and so far there is not one scratch on it. I too can't stand the cases and find using this large phone as a "phone" uncomfortable. Fortunately most of the time it is a small computer and not a phone :).

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I am averaging about one drop of my Samsung Edge phone per month on all kind of surfaces and so far there is not one scratch on it. I too can't stand the cases and find using this large phone as a "phone" uncomfortable. Fortunately most of the time it is a small computer and not a phone :).

You might want to work on your eye hand coordination if you are dropping your phone that often. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing