Anyone got any experience of the Glanz MH-124S tonearm?

Shuggie

Sep 9, 2020
UK
ammonite-audio.co.uk
Just a question as I am also interested in this arm. If the Glanz headshell seems to be one of the best, if not « the » best with this arm, did anyone of you tried the Wally fulcrum and so having a way to adjust azimuth ?
Probably it’s a silly question as the contact of the cart would be done against the Wally and not the headshell itself.
It seems Glanz is launching 124 S upgrade with different mods in it. Did any knows about it ?

The Glanz MH-124S has been replaced by the MH-1200S, with a modest price increase. Glanz's website still shows the MH-124S but it is no longer available (distributors and dealers were notified some months ago). The design changes over the MH-124S mostly concern the end stub and counterweight, which is now heavier but slimmer so that it can be positioned closer to the pivot. Whether that matters with such a high mass arm is a moot point but sometimes a slight reduction in effective mass from doing so is useful.

With a suitably low compliance cartridge, the Glanz is still the best tonearm that I've heard

Rdk777

Jul 9, 2019
I'm currently using a ZYX Universe II with excellent results. ZYX is not a low compliance cartridge, but it sounds amazing. Also have used it with Gold Note Tuscany and modded Denon 103R with a Musikraft shell. Overall, the arm works with most cartridges - setup is key as well.

3125simon

Apr 26, 2020
Uk
I’m using a Koetsu coralstone diamond and or a Urushi vermillion with really excellent results, couldn’t be happier.
i also upgraded the phonocable from the blue Glanz to a Stealth Helios - amazing

i had toyed with changing my other arm, Brinkmann 12.1, but right now with my Etsuro Bordeaux it’s sounding fantastic.

im sure that the Bordeaux would also sound amazing in the Glanz also….

Petrat

Apr 17, 2019
UK
I'm using the 10 inch version, and can report it's an excellent match for low and medium compliance mc cartridges. Stunning with a Sumile, and brings out the best in SPUs.
I perservered with the supplied cable (a black 'generic' one) for quite a while, but it was clearly hobbling the performance. The Ikeda cable turned out to be a great match, clearly in another league to the supplied one.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
I like the Glanz with :

Phasemation PP-2000

Soundsmith Hyperion

Sumile, other My Sonic Lab produced carts as well (like Mutech Hayabusa, MSL Platinum)

SPU Century

Shuggie

Sep 9, 2020
UK
ammonite-audio.co.uk
I like the Glanz with :

Phasemation PP-2000

Soundsmith Hyperion

Sumile, other My Sonic Lab produced carts as well (like Mutech Hayabusa, MSL Platinum)

SPU Century
I never understood why Ortofon did not follow up the wonderful SPU Century with a regular product - perhaps SPUs are just too 'niche' to justify the time involved with 3D printing the metal shells. The Century, for me at least, wedded all the best virtues of other SPUs and amplified them.

PaulB

Jan 22, 2020
Minneapolis, Minnesota
analog.audio
Did someone tried DS Audio photooptical cartridges with the Glanz 124 or 1200?
I am a dealer and plan on getting a DS cartridge in sometime in the second quarter. It will be a very interesting to see the results. My demo arm is a MH-1200

Reactions: Birdwatcher

Brkart

Jun 23, 2022
Austin TX
I have a general question with respect to attaching the counterweight to an MH-124S arm. There are no specific instructions so I presumed the weight would simply screw on. The rear arm tube has a pin approximately in the center of its length and the counterweight is a three piece assembly - an internally threaded inner sleeve (threads sized to receive the armtube pin) this sleeve is attached to a calibrated end piece which should be close to the pivot; these two pieces then slide into the main weight itself and the inner sleeve is secured to the weight with a set screw. Should be simple but it won't go.
The question is, does the rear arm tube need to be removed so that the counterweight assembly is slid on from the pivot end?

Attachments

• 20220623_144950.jpg
    20220623_144950.jpg
    528.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 20220623_145011.jpg
    20220623_145011.jpg
    594.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220623_152155.jpg
    20220623_152155.jpg
    496.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 20220623_171913.jpg
    20220623_171913.jpg
    424.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 20220623_175357.jpg
    20220623_175357.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 26

Ed.P

Mar 12, 2018
No, it doesn’t need to be removed so it’s just a matter of figuring how how to get it on. When you say “it won’t go” what exactly do you mean? The arm tube pin pushes in to be flush with the tube if it’s a matter of getting past that point.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing