Anybody own gale gs402 speakers

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I just bought a mint pair of gale gs402 speakers from the mid80s.would like to hear from anyone who owns or has heard a pair of these classics.

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
They should be delivered in a weeks time and I will post pictures.
I owned several pair, “ back in the day”.....They were over achievers for their time.....very dynamic and organic sounding ( full, dense images and very smooth in their overall response....at least that’s my remembrance of them).
As I recall they were designed to be used in a Horizontal arrangement, like today’s Center Channel Home theatre speakers are normally used.

Cheers....

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
my dad had a pair of 401s that’s why I like the gales ,it brings memories back when I was a kid.
Now I see that my initial response was not regarding the 402 model. I had the Gale 401 C....Have no experience with the 402 model....
Hope you enjoy your new speakers.....
Cheers....

tapepath

Feb 19, 2014
Sorry your speaker arrived damaged, that's a shame. I believe the same company produced a series of well made records under the Gale label. They were intended to demonstrate the best qualities of the speakers. I've collected a few over the years.

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Sorry your speaker arrived damaged, that's a shame. I believe the same company produced a series of well made records under the Gale label. They were intended to demonstrate the best qualities of the speakers. I've collected a few over the years.
Yes your right and I remember those Lps.

Rshaw

Jun 19, 2021
I just bought a mint pair of gale gs402 speakers from the mid80s.would like to hear from anyone who owns or has heard a pair of these classics.
Was just going to go into shower and saw your post. Had all Tandberg separates back in the 80's and a pair of Gale Gs 401C, The walnut version. You most likely have the fabric ones with the chrome sides. Very Nice, They are HEAVY. In the day, they were one of the best sounding speakers available. I still have the tandberg separates and the gale Gs401c. The crossover has been played with a few years back and some of the corners have had issues, but, never the less, HISTORY. Hope you enjoy them. My speakers now far exceed that of the Gales. Technology??? Robert TN

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Was just going to go into shower and saw your post. Had all Tandberg separates back in the 80's and a pair of Gale Gs 401C, The walnut version. You most likely have the fabric ones with the chrome sides. Very Nice, They are HEAVY. In the day, they were one of the best sounding speakers available. I still have the tandberg separates and the gale Gs401c. The crossover has been played with a few years back and some of the corners have had issues, but, never the less, HISTORY. Hope you enjoy them. My speakers now far exceed that of the Gales. Technology??? Robert TN
Thanks for sharing.yes there a icon but there’s much better speakers around now.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing