Anybody Knows How Bass is Supposed to Sound?

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I can upload the same organrecording / bass guitar tomorrow , but then with the convergent JL 2 sign ( 100 6550 tube watts , might be more on KT 120 tubes ) see if one can hear a diff on you tube .;)
That would be interesting,please do. Thanks

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Anyway, the pipe organ is one of my favorite things to listen to. The organ has immense power,complex harmonics,but can be tremendously delicate also. The last time i did this it didn't work out to well,but just listen to the power and weight. I think it comes through pretty well given I used my crappy iphone6 and std YT resolution. Anyway this is just for fun. The volume on the preamp is about 9:45 a little past where the preamp starts to kick in....10 is where I normally listen. The USN Chapel Organ @ Annapolis recorded in the late 1960's on a Ampex MR70.....I know it sounds lousy,but it's power.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Listened to it I know what you mean , but i dont have a noise free listening room where i can cranck it up as much as i want , i do however sometimes , then you dont know what is happening a real blast .
It gets scary :( especially with the CAT doing the driving , but the A 18 is a little quiter then the cat on lower listening volumes and does have plenty control , it has its own/ delicate charmes .
I see me maybe ending up with a halcro DM 38 and possibly a CAT legend instead of the utimate MK 2 , although i m pleased with it

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Listened to it I know what you mean , but i dont have a noise free listening room where i can cranck it up as much as i want , i do however sometimes , then you dont know what is happening a real blast .
It gets scary especially with the CAT doing the driving , but the A 18 is a little quiter then the cat on lower listening volumes and does have plenty control , it has its own/ delicate charmes .
I see me maybe ending up with a halcro DM 38 and possibly a CAT legend instead of the utimate MK 2 , although i m pleased with it

I actually enjoy the silence of the organ if you know what i mean. The single pipe and the ambient quality that goes with it. The deep bass is a rush,but the harmonic details is what is really special. I think your system captures that ambient quality really well. As long as the bass is clean...that's what to shoot for. IMHO

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Anyway, the pipe organ is one of my favorite things to listen to. The organ has immense power,complex harmonics,but can be tremendously delicate also. The last time i did this it didn't work out to well,but just listen to the power and weight. I think it comes through pretty well given I used my crappy iphone6 and std YT resolution. Anyway this is just for fun. The volume on the preamp is about 9:45 a little past where the preamp starts to kick in....10 is where I normally listen. The USN Chapel Organ @ Annapolis recorded in the late 1960's on a Ampex MR70.....I know it sounds lousy,but it's power.

Sounds impressive!

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Putting the child in that car while that was playing was not funny to me at all. It made me angry.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I didn't even notice that.....idiot!

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Oh that is so not cool

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Putting the child in that car while that was playing was not funny to me at all. It made me angry.

It was certainly very immature and irresponsible and uneducated and inhuman and damaging.
There are 7.35 billion people on Earth, and that one didn't go @ the right school. The kid will be growing and doing the same thing to his own child;
it's a spreading disease, a chain reaction, a big lack of education, there, and everywhere.

Jack, you had a good thinking's alert. I would let my kids play with your kids in the same sand box.

@ times of lunar eclipse, full moon, and comet passing by on the same day (all 3 events).
http://www.space.com/35673-snow-moon-lunar-eclipse-comet-45p-photos-gallery.html

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
On a lighter note :) Kudos to HJ and Roger. Even through youtube your sound as a whole was very pleasurable to listen to. I can only imagine how much better they feel and sound in person. Way to go guys!

I'm a big softie like you Bob :D

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
On a lighter note :) Kudos to HJ and Roger. Even through youtube your sound as a whole was very pleasurable to listen to. I can only imagine how much better they feel and sound in person. Way to go guys!

I'm a big softie like you Bob :D
Thanks Jack.....I came across this video. I'm glad they were able to restore this beautiful organ...wow what a chapel. I have this recording.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
The very best demonstration I have ever heard of an organ (and the attendant bass) was at CEDIA in 2014, with an Auro 3D audio (and video) demonstration. Not only that, it was the first time in the 40+ years in this [strike]addiction[/strike] hobby that I was completely, physically transported to the recording venue (a huge European Cathedral). It also propelled me to invest in 3D audio and I have never looked back. And yes, I acquired that demo disc.

Here is a link to the demo online and the organ demo begins at about 5:10 into it. It won't do much for you on your computer nor even on your very wonderful 2 channel system. But for those (probably) few of you who have access to a well done audio system that can "accurately" reproduce this music, you are in for a treat. I will confess that part of the "trick" that got me fully "transported" was there was a video of the church and organ that went along with it.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
That would be interesting,please do. Thanks

Working on it :b it ll be the first song from the eusebius church organ CD also nice , plus V wooten on bass (you tube ) the exact same song , now on the convergent poweramp ( KT 120 ) the rest of the system is the same .
Recorded on the Sony A 7 with internal mic

Ps i like St pauls cathedral

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
The very best demonstration I have ever heard of an organ (and the attendant bass) was at CEDIA in 2014, with an Auro 3D audio (and video) demonstration. Not only that, it was the first time in the 40+ years in this [strike]addiction[/strike] hobby that I was completely, physically transported to the recording venue (a huge European Cathedral). It also propelled me to invest in 3D audio and I have never looked back. And yes, I acquired that demo disc.

Here is a link to the demo online and the organ demo begins at about 5:10 into it. It won't do much for you on your computer nor even on your very wonderful 2 channel system. But for those (probably) few of you who have access to a well done audio system that can "accurately" reproduce this music, you are in for a treat. I will confess that part of the "trick" that got me fully "transported" was there was a video of the church and organ that went along with it.

I'm all in favor of enhanced stereo,as I myself do use a enhanced stereo circuit,although different from this.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing