Antipodes DX3 vs DX2

maxwerks

Mar 6, 2021
Hello to everyone , fairly a newb to the computer audio works but not a Newb in audiophile world . Can someone explain to e the exact difference between the DX3 and the DX2 , i Know about the faster chip in the V3 , but is it true that the DX3 has two SSD drives wit one dedicated only to media storage ? Other differences ? upgrades ?
I am tempted to go with Antipodes vs the Innuos for some strange reason despite the fact that this will be my first venture into Server/ renderer world !! Your comments are greatly appreciated , and if anyone is selling a DX3 please let me know . Thanks to all and happy listening . Max

td19

Sep 29, 2017
Hi Max,
The DX3 is considerably better than the DX2. The DX3 has a 120Gb MSata SSD for the system software and separate 1 or 2Tb SSD(s) for music library storage. it does run the current Antipodes software and is fully supported. However it was discontinued two years ago. You should possibly look at the current product line, or maybe look at an Antipodes CX or EX, which are quite recent and which are showing up on the used marke as good prices as owners move to the latest product line. Both CX and EX can function as server/renderer; CX has additional power. Neither has a built-in ripper (you can connect an outboard USB CD drive to rip) and you must purchase an SSD separately, which is inserted into one of two drive slots at the back of the unit.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: kennyb123

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
I checked Antipodes website and there isn't any information on U.S. dealers. Are there any Antipodes dealers close to Texas?

td19

Sep 29, 2017
Antipodes should be able to tell you which dealers are close to you. Send them an email.

Al Stewart

May 14, 2017
Max,
I recommend you read HFA (HiFi-Advice.com) reviews on Antipodes servers. Christiaan P has owned several models and provides a lot of detail about the differences between them. (I currently own a DX3 that I no longer use as my main server--but I still use it as an available Roon Core.) My current server is the Innuos Statement. I became frustrated with Antipodes running out from under their flagship servers to different platforms so quickly. (DX3 to CX-EX to K-50).

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
I became frustrated with Antipodes running out from under their flagship servers to different platforms so quickly. (DX3 to CX-EX to K-50).
I wondered about this so I looked for reviews of each and assumed that they were probably written in the product's first year. Based on that, it seemed to me that they refresh their products every 3 years. I think there were about 3 years from Zenith Mk2 to Zenith Mk3, with that being more on an incremental change. Auralic likely released the first Aries in 2014. Then 4 years later released the G1 and G2. The G2.1 came two years later. My only point is that the server market has still a long way to go before it has matured. 3 years between refreshes seems about right for a maturing product. The market demands that in a sense as consumers would be inclined to shy away from a server that's older than 3 years.

I'll grant you that Antipodes did more than just refresh their servers. They changed the form factor a number of times. Personally speaking, I am glad they went back to a single-box server. Two boards in one box (as in the K30 and K50) was a smart move.

Reactions: DeMarko

Al Stewart

May 14, 2017
@kennyb123 I understand your logic. But I think Mike L makes a valid point in various posts about DAC and server architecture that can be upgraded without having to purchase entirely new hardware. In the case of Antipodes architecture, the box that was the DX (then DX2, then DX3) gave way to a new box solution (that was actually two boxes--unless you wanted a ripper, then it was three boxes) that then gave way to a different box solution--back to one box. I bought my DX3 in 2017, CX-EX-P1 came out in June 2018. K50 was being reviewed by C Punter in September 2020. So, in this case that would be Antipodes rolling through three different flagship servers in 3 three years.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
So, in this case that would be Antipodes rolling through three different flagship servers in 3 three years.

I definitely see your point. I had counted wrong as I treated DX/DX2/DX3 as the same box that saw upgrades over it's 6 or so year life.

It does seem as though they explained what you saw during your time owning the DX3 here. Late 2016 and into 2017 was a turning point for them where they realized they had to change direction. "Real live music is explosive, and our music servers were not rendering this quality." The DX3 was one of the first in that new direction.

Were the CX/EX the first of their servers to go with the two-tier model of player/server? If so that might explain the abrupt change. It might have also been a reaction to Roon. A segment of the industry started moving in the "low power renderer/high power server" model around that time. So maybe they rushed to fill that market and then later realized those platforms weren't going to get them to the next level.

Regardless, I agree with you on this. I'm not bothered by it though as I couldn't be happier with my K30. You have a very fine product with the Statement as well. I wonder where Innuos will be going next hardware-wise.

maxwerks

Mar 6, 2021
Thank you all for your valuable comments and advise . I decided to go for the Antipodes CX as a start , and possibly add the EX once I finish Ripping and getting all ready . Kenny I think I read somewhere that you favored the Etherregen , hopefully I am correct . Although at this point my focus will be on getting a decent drive and prepare to rip all the CDs I have ..my question , is the Apple External Superdrive sufficient for the best quality ripping to the SSD using the dbpoweramp software ? I am assuming that the Automatic ripping triggered via the software won't be available unless I purchase the P1 as a Ripper/ drive ( hopefully this is only a matter of convenience , and that the dbpoweramp would do just as good of a job ) . Another question , should I be concerned about the USB cable from drive to the SSD / CX at this time or would the Apple Cable do ?

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Thank you all for your valuable comments and advise . I decided to go for the Antipodes CX as a start , and possibly add the EX once I finish Ripping and getting all ready . Kenny I think I read somewhere that you favored the Etherregen , hopefully I am correct . Although at this point my focus will be on getting a decent drive and prepare to rip all the CDs I have ..my question , is the Apple External Superdrive sufficient for the best quality ripping to the SSD using the dbpoweramp software ? I am assuming that the Automatic ripping triggered via the software won't be available unless I purchase the P1 as a Ripper/ drive ( hopefully this is only a matter of convenience , and that the dbpoweramp would do just as good of a job ) . Another question , should I be concerned about the USB cable from drive to the SSD / CX at this time or would the Apple Cable do ?

The drive matters little with dbPoweramp as when errors are found the program will go back and try again. There are drives that produce fewer errors but the only advantage there is longer life of the drive. The mode that dbPoweramp enters when errors are found is called “ultra secure ripping”. This can take a very long time. I tend to stop that process and give the CD a good cleaning to see if it will rip without going into that mode. If that doesn’t help, I will use some Novus plastic polish to try to reduce scratches. A sin of my youth is that I used to play CDs in the car so some got dinged up. The Novus polish kit has recovered many CDs. Long winded way of saying that the Apple Super Drive is fine as this is what I’ve used for years.

The EtherRegen is definitely a worthwhile improvement.

You asked about “USB cable from drive to the SSD / CX” - what did you mean by this?

td19

Sep 29, 2017
The Apple superdrive cannot be connected to an Antipodes server. You do not need an Antipodes P1 drive in order to use the CD Import (ripper) app on the CX. Any USB CD/DVD drive, such as LG, Asus, Transcend, can be used satisfactorily. The drive must be connected to the CX when it is booted to be recognised.

maxwerks

Mar 6, 2021
tD19 , thank you, I am curious though why cant the Apple drive connect to the CX using the USB input designated for external Drive/NAS ? I am also glad you mention that booting the CX after the external drive is connected , recognizing the drive would trigger the Antipodes Ripping function , is that better than using the dBpoweramp ? Thanks for your guidance, Max

maxwerks

Mar 6, 2021
You asked about “USB cable from drive to the SSD / CX” - what did you mean by this?
kenny I was referring to the quality of the USB cable from the DVD drive to the CX ( in the case of the Apple Superdrive though the cable is integral to the drive itself )

td19

Sep 29, 2017
tD19 , thank you, I am curious though why cant the Apple drive connect to the CX using the USB input designated for external Drive/NAS ? I am also glad you mention that booting the CX after the external drive is connected , recognizing the drive would trigger the Antipodes Ripping function , is that better than using the dBpoweramp ? Thanks for your guidance, Max
Apple have locked the super drive to Apple devices. There are workarounds to make it work with Linux, but you would need to be able to access the Antipodes system software. dBpoweramp is fine if you want to rip to PC/Mac and then copy the rips to the Antipodes SSD using Windows File Explorer/Finder. The CD Import app on the CX is a high quality ripper app that rips to uncompressed flac and stores the rip + metadata on the SSD ... possibly a bit more convenient to use.

Reactions: kennyb123

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
kenny I was referring to the quality of the USB cable from the DVD drive to the CX ( in the case of the Apple Superdrive though the cable is integral to the drive itself )
I had been recommending using a Mac or PC running dbPoweramp to rip your CDs.

maxwerks

Mar 6, 2021
All these years using Macs never occurred to me that Apple drives would be locked as a peripheral for anything other than Mac computers !!
Kenny I still think I am better off buying another PC based dvd drive and hooking it directly to the CX as opposed to ripping through the Mac to an external SSD then inserting it in the back of the CX , which according to what I am learning would allow me to use the Antipodes CD import app.
Sorry guys I am only an Architect , sort of an IT impaired !!! Thanks to all

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Kenny I still think I am better off buying another PC based dvd drive and hooking it directly to the CX as opposed to ripping through the Mac to an external SSD then inserting it in the back of the CX , which according to what I am learning would allow me to use the Antipodes CD import app.
Sorry guys I am only an Architect , sort of an IT impaired !!! Thanks to all
No worries - I was just suggesting an alternative. If you can hook a PC drive up to the CX and use their ripper that‘ll be an easy way to go.

The Apple Super Drive itself is most likely a Pioneer DVD. I’m surprised to hear that Apple locked it.

speakerlust

Mar 26, 2011
maxwerks,

Antipodes P1 and current K10 rippers use dual USB to their servers. It is probably worthwhile to query Antipodes regarding single USB non-Antipodes drives for this use to their servers. Perhaps other Antipodes owners can share their experiences/recommendations on this.

td19

Sep 29, 2017
maxwerks,

Antipodes P1 and current K10 rippers use dual USB to their servers. It is probably worthwhile to query Antipodes regarding single USB non-Antipodes drives for this use to their servers. Perhaps other Antipodes owners can share their experiences/recommendations on this.
I have used a LG GP60NS50 (single captive USB cable) many times to rip CDs to an Antipodes CX, without problem.

maxwerks

Mar 6, 2021
Thats interesting , I have seen both ind of pictures on line , some with the P! using a single captive USB into the CX/CE and some using double USB. What is the explanation for the double USB into the CX ? Its safe to assume that it is entirely different than the Double USB outputs ( where one is 5v and the other isn't powered , as this would depend on the DAC , Right ? )

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing