Antipodes CX+EX

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Hi Tuckia,

Indeed and I just bought the ex+cx stack this year with cx just a few months old with even amsv3.0 :(

Cheers.

Richard
My set isn't quite a year old yet. I hope Antipodes considers that there are many short time CX and EX owners out here when establishing upgrade pricing and targeted performance levels. It's great that they are investing the R&D into new product, but servers with the performance lifespan of doughnuts is not good for cost of ownership and perceived product value. Other manufacturers have been offering free or low cost upgrades, especially for SW downloads, to offset this perception. The delay in the upgrades creates a vacuum for those who can't wait, so they buy new. I can't decide which camp I'm in right now :). The cost of the upgrades will in part determine the residual value of our units.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
My CX (which is just over a year old) has just stopped working and the importers tech here in Australia had a look and has just now sent it back to New Zealand so I’m assuming the fault is fairly major.

Tony at Antipodes has always great communication and been very good and helpful so I’m hoping for a resolution and happy return before we get anywhere near to the Christmas holiday close.

My EX is only 6 months old but thankfully still keeping me company and in music. The flexible extra backup is a valuable advantage of a server renderer multifunction two box system. I’m very thankful for that at least now.

Last edited:

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Email support@antipodes.audio and they will send you the PDF for the Version 2.8 upgrade.

Not available at this stage for the new product line.
Hi Tony:)

Is it the same document that is attached to post 194 above?

Thanks,
Aziz

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
A review on the K-50 and S-30 from Ralph Werner at Fairaudio magazine Germany. Nice to be able to get some more data points up.

Antipodes K-50 S-30 Review here

Last edited:
Reactions: Darmstadtium

Darmstadtium

Dec 18, 2019
Ireland
The reviewer though giving a very positive feedback , doesn’t seem to think it’s a huge jump to K50
While Christian punter seem to have gone gaga over the k50 compared to EX/CX combo

i am eagerly awaiting for an Extreme vs K50 comparison test.

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
The reviewer though giving a very positive feedback , doesn’t seem to think it’s a huge jump to K50
While Christian punter seem to have gone gaga over the k50 compared to EX/CX combo

This reviewer has a more modest system than Christiaan’s. I suspect he was listening more to his weaker links in the move up to the K50.

There is a member on Head Fi in the Antipodes forum who has had both the K50 and K30 on loan for awhile. He is in the process of acquiring an Extreme On loan. He must be near excellent dealers or have excellent credit! Considering the long time for break in, it may be a while before he produces results. He issued the teaser that “the Extreme will have stiff competition“.

I must admit reading the Extreme forum is intoxicating. That Emile contributes consistently with cogent responses in real time lends great credibility. I haven’t noted a single dissenting opinion.

All of this highlights that the streamer/server is a critical component. Dacs have been refined for decades and there are decent values out there. Good servers are a more recent phenomenon and they come at a premium. Much more than a pile of parts. The cook in the kitchen is the source of the magic. Firmware, software, power supply, and noise management.

Reactions: onsionsi and sbnx

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
I still have not really sat down to make comparisons with the K50. I have ripped about 850 CD's -- which took quite a bit of time. I am currently using Roon for both the server and player. Some report that HQplayer is better than roon on the player side. I still need to experiment with that as well. But honestly, the thing sounds so good as is that I am just listening to music. I am still using the MIT MAX SPDIF cable. Another thing I need to compare is the MIT vs. Shunyata sigma AES vs. FTA USB. Maybe I should just call Jay as he would have it all knocked out in one day as he puts together another pair of WIlson's. :)

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
I still have not really sat down to make comparisons with the K50. I have ripped about 850 CD's -- which took quite a bit of time. I am currently using Roon for both the server and player. Some report that HQplayer is better than roon on the player side. I still need to experiment with that as well. But honestly, the thing sounds so good as is that I am just listening to music. I am still using the MIT MAX SPDIF cable. Another thing I need to compare is the MIT vs. Shunyata sigma AES vs. FTA USB. Maybe I should just call Jay as he would have it all knocked out in one day as he puts together another pair of WIlson's. :)
Good to hear that it’s working well as is. A sign of contentment?

Regarding usb, does your PAC have the JL usb card? Mine has the Amanerro. Been told that the JL adheres more to the usb standard and many audiophile type usb cables won’t work with it. But the SQ is good.

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015

As someone who has a K50 incoming, I was a bit underwhelmed by the review, especially compared to Christiaan's review.

My streamer is a Linn Klimax DSM. I originally had a K40 ordered since the Linn is ethernet, but decided to upgrade to the K50 so I could try running it through my Trinnov Amethyst as well and see if will sound better than the KDSM.

I had an Innuos Statement in the house last weekend and connected it with Direct Ethernet into the Linn and it wasn't any better than the Small Green Computer i7 and Melco S-100 (with Farad Super3 power supply) I'm currently using - in fact, I found it a bit fatiguing, so back it went to the dealer.

Interesting thing about the Melco combo, Linn's position is their DS players aren't impacted one way or another by switches, etc., but the SQ took a definite step up (more slam, better bass definition while retaining all of the details) after I replaced the Melco's power supply. It was noticeable from the first notes played.

The K50 has been in customs purgatory this week in LA. Hopefully the damn thing will get out of customs and be on its way the first part of next week.

ChrisG

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Good to hear that it’s working well as is. A sign of contentment?

Regarding usb, does your PAC have the JL usb card? Mine has the Amanerro. Been told that the JL adheres more to the usb standard and many audiophile type usb cables won’t work with it. But the SQ is good.
Interesting comment. Mine has the JL. I have been having some issues with USB that I have not taken the time to troubleshoot. I guess this could be the issue. How do I fix it?

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Interesting comment. Mine has the JL. I have been having some issues with USB that I have not taken the time to troubleshoot. I guess this could be the issue. How do I fix it?
I’ll ask some more questions to those who know. I have one FTA and was ordering another. This could be a future issue for me as well.

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
I'm told the Callisto should be fine with the JL. Other well known cables have had problems though. They have a firmware update in the works to rectify these issues. Maybe something for you to try when available. Likely involves going under the hood.

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
As someone who has a K50 incoming, I was a bit underwhelmed by the review, especially compared to Christiaan's review.

My streamer is a Linn Klimax DSM. I originally had a K40 ordered since the Linn is ethernet, but decided to upgrade to the K50 so I could try running it through my Trinnov Amethyst as well and see if will sound better than the KDSM.

I had an Innuos Statement in the house last weekend and connected it with Direct Ethernet into the Linn and it wasn't any better than the Small Green Computer i7 and Melco S-100 (with Farad Super3 power supply) I'm currently using - in fact, I found it a bit fatiguing, so back it went to the dealer.

Interesting thing about the Melco combo, Linn's position is their DS players aren't impacted one way or another by switches, etc., but the SQ took a definite step up (more slam, better bass definition while retaining all of the details) after I replaced the Melco's power supply. It was noticeable from the first notes played.

The K50 has been in customs purgatory this week in LA. Hopefully the damn thing will get out of customs and be on its way the first part of next week.

ChrisG
I envision customs personnel relish their role in delayed gratification, now more than ever. :mad: Once in house, break in will delay this further. The K50's multiple outputs will help sort the best path. Certainly differing opinions out there.

Reactions: Darmstadtium

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
2 weeks ago my K50 has arrived, great unit so far.
I will open a new thread on K50 in the next days,
to not disturb this CX/EX thread.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
I'm told the Callisto should be fine with the JL. Other well known cables have had problems though. They have a firmware update in the works to rectify these issues. Maybe something for you to try when available. Likely involves going under the hood.
It doesn't bother me to pop the top and do some work if needed.

perfusionist

Nov 4, 2020
Hi Guys, I got a P1 and I connected it to my CX. Put a CD inside to rip, heard a noise as it it was spinning, but then it stopped after a while. The tray never opened. What am I doing wrong? Any thoughts as to why the CD is being ripped?

I also don't see a place on the CX settings to setup storage location etc? Any thoughts?

td19

Sep 29, 2017
Hi Guys, I got a P1 and I connected it to my CX. Put a CD inside to rip, heard a noise as it it was spinning, but then it stopped after a while. The tray never opened. What am I doing wrong? Any thoughts as to why the CD is being ripped?

I also don't see a place on the CX settings to setup storage location etc? Any thoughts?
Does the P1 USB cable have two legs? If so, connect both. P1 should be connected before server is booted. CD drives are recognised automatically so long as they are connected before startup.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017

I have had this happen. Unplug the USB and plug it back in. Then you can eject the CD. Have you ripped other CD's or was this your first attempt. out of about 1000 CD's ripped I had <10 or so that just would not rip. The same thing happened on those. It would just spin for a while then lock up. Try a different CD (one that is in excellent shape. no scratches, smudges etc) and report back on if that worked.

perfusionist

Nov 4, 2020
I have had this happen. Unplug the USB and plug it back in. Then you can eject the CD. Have you ripped other CD's or was this your first attempt. out of about 1000 CD's ripped I had <10 or so that just would not rip. The same thing happened on those. It would just spin for a while then lock up. Try a different CD (one that is in excellent shape. no scratches, smudges etc) and report back on if that worked.
Tried that, still doesn't work. First time ripping CDs. Tried another CD that didn't work as well. May be its an issue with storage location?
I have a 2TB SSD in the bay in CX. Where do I set the storage location?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing