Another Spectral cable question.

Penthouse-D

Dec 10, 2012
Hi Folks, I'm new to the forum. I'm considering some Spectral gear. I have MIT speaker cables already,currently using Shunyata Zitron Cobra IC's. I'm trying to justify adding MIT IC's. What about power cords? Do you guys use the stock cords or upgraded cords? Do you suggest a power conditioner? If so, suggestions? Thanks in advance.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Welcome. I think most of us here use after-market cords, Shunyata CX here, others MIT; no conditioner for me, just an MIT Z-Strip which has some parallel filtering.

Penthouse-D

Dec 10, 2012
As far as IC's go, If I deciede to go with MIT IC's I suspect I'd go HD-50's for the pre to the amps and the CD to the pre, but maybe HD36 from the tuner? I don't think the signal from most tuners warrant the HD-50.? Just trying to wrap my head around spending all this extra dough.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I use Kimber Select or Nordost from source components; MIT only where required by the electronics. But other use MIT all around; you may want to play around yourself.

Penthouse-D

Dec 10, 2012
Thanks ack ( I would call you by name, but I don't know it. I'm guessing it may be the airport code for Nantucket since you're from Boston) That's comforting. I may be able to get away with my Shunyatas. I'm shopping Spectral. Feel free to email me with any suggestions. Thanks!!

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Goodwin's High End has some MIT upper level cables they are offering at a discount- used only at an audio show. I've bought used spectral-mit cables from them, and they have been in perfect shape. Ask for Paul or Alan. Spectral is some awesome gear! Enjoy.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi Penthouse - D,

I have no experience with Shunyata cables but I would give it a try.

In my own system, I have tried MIT and Sensory Power from CD player to Spectral preamp/linestage. From phono to Spectral preamp/linestage, I have used all stock cables that came with the various tonearms and also aftermarket tonearm cables from FM Acoustic and Sensory Power. They all worked pretty good.

From Spectral preamp to Spectral poweramp, I have tried MIT and Gotham interconnects and both work well.

As for power cords, I use MIT AC 2 for Spectral preamps/linestages. For Spectral power amps, I use either Sensory Power or MIT AC 2.

Power conditioners, I use old MIT power conditioners. When I use the MIT power conditioners, I run MIT AC 1 from equipment to the power conditioner and MIT AC 2 from the power conditioner to the wall outlet.

1rsw

Jul 21, 2010
Welcome and enjoy your Spectral exploration.

These are challenging yet important questions, IMO more so with Spectral components than most as they are so resolving...everything matters. I use MIT ic/speaker cables exclusively with the exception of my digital cable which is Acoustic Revive DISX (Oracle MA-X until recently, the AR is just better). I use MIT Z3 power cables, unlike a lot of the guys here I find the filtered cables to be slightly limiting on the amps. I do have my amps plugged into an Acoustic Revive RTP-2 ultimate which is sort of a unique device that is more of a distributor than conditioner. I am experimenting with isolation transformer based devices at the moment with some success. I have a Silver Circle right now and am very interested in trying the Torus units. I've had many others...Shunyata, RSA, most of the usual brands mentioned and although they all do some things well, none sounded correct to me. Other than the Acoustic Revive and the transformer based units I am trying now, I do occasionally use an MIT ZPowerbar on my frontend. It's 99.999% good but ever so slightly dulling up top to my ears ...but is still one I would recommend.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing