MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Let's try a different approach. Why would Schubert be considered more great than Haydn?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Let's try a different approach. Why would Schubert be considered more great than Haydn?

Sorry, I am not worthy to judge the two.

But no reason to not like one.

I personally don't like the Krips Decca that much, the RCA Munch is better. The live has always been great. It is based more on quieter passages than macro ones, so you might want to listen to the live first before judging.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Also on Brahms, this is a great one for not much. Don't buy all the Sarastros, this and the Anne Chaplin harpsichord are the very good ones.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Sorry, I am not worthy to judge the two.

But no reason to not like one.

I personally don't like the Krips Decca that much, the RCA Munch is better. The live has always been great. It is based more on quieter passages than macro ones, so you might want to listen to the live first before judging.

Fair enough, I'll do that. I'm always happy to be convinced and/or educated.

Reactions: bonzo75

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Did someone say Schubert? How about a quintet.

Lots of these on the tube, the storied one is Du Pre, Perlman, Mehta, Barenboim, Zuckerman when they were young - a realistic Schubertium - though more about them than the music. This one has music and Mutter - so so, but I stopped looking.

Chopin? a seducer...

All this talk of Schubert and nobody mentioned the Impromptus!!! :oops:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

That is a very reasonable challenge and one that can’t easily be defended, frankly. Haydn was monumentally prolific and is hugely under appreciated.

• Love
Reactions: tima and Al M.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Bit of controversy haha. The Impromptus are to Brendel as the Nocturnes are to Rubinstein :)

Reactions: Al M.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Reactions: zerostargeneral

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
And for you super slushy romantics out there

Reactions: tima

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Speaking of nostalgia

• Love

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Yesterday evening listened to Brendel playing Schubert's sonata No. 19 D 958 in C minor, the first of the set of three great last piano sonatas.

It was a recording from the late 1980s, and it was absolutely mesmerizing, marvelous. Such stormy urgency, romantic and partially with a longing undertone, an urgency which is eventually building up even in the slow movement. Above video is from another great Brendel performance 20 years earlier, and it is similar in interpretation. On this YouTube video, the dynamics underlying the urgency do not quite flesh out as they should and can be heard from uncompressed audio on a system that is up for them, but you'll get an idea nonetheless.

Yes, this a Top Ten composer, for sure.

Here is a great, rather comprehensive article on the three last piano sonatas by Schubert:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing