(and) Then There Were Three....

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
Just a heads up. There is a Fenice on audiogon. Buy that and call it a day.

Though tidal and mm are both nice.

I had considered the R1 but declined.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Thank you both for your additional feedback. Joey: The Fenice are not a match for this space due to size, WAF adverse reaction to the refrigerator on legs look, etc...What do you think of Rockport Altair and Lyra (sp?).

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) The Fenice are not a match for this space due to size, WAF adverse reaction to the refrigerator on legs look (...)

I am almost sure you will not have these problems with the Aida's ...

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
Thank you both for your additional feedback. Joey: The Fenice are not a match for this space due to size, WAF adverse reaction to the refrigerator on legs look, etc...What do you think of Rockport Altair and Lyra (sp?).

I am sure it looks wonderful in person.

But regarding Rockports, I owned the Rockpkrt Aviors. I would really look into the Lyra if it's within striking range over the Altair.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Thank you guys,...definitely appreciate the additional feedback!

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Just a heads up. There is a Fenice on audiogon. Buy that and call it a day.

Can't imagine anyone with a proper room and $80,000 or so to spend on a speaker not jumping on these. Refrigerator on legs might be a bit harsh. I've been looking at them for 5 years and really like the way they look in my room but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
Can't imagine anyone with a proper room and $80,000 or so to spend on a speaker not jumping on these. Refrigerator on legs might be a bit harsh. I've been looking at them for 5 years and really like the way they look in my room but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Exactly Frank... limited edition, sold out, top SF.

Call it a day.

I bet in person it looks PHENOMENAL.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

You have one of best looking Fenice's - black mat metal feet and top with walnut. They look really gorgeous and stylish, but discrete. However anyone having made his mind from the polished aluminum models can feel that they look too large and not so well integrated.

If I had the space, I would have got the black version ... And yes, I bookmarked them http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?20189-ASC-tube-traps-effect-of-their-absence&p=383908&viewfull=1#post383908! :cool:

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010

You are right, the comment was harsh and not professional; please accept my apologies.

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
You are right, the comment was harsh and not professional; please accept my apologies.

I looked at the audiogon fenice again, I really think in person it would look a heck of a lot nicer. The chrome is a little distracting though but man... it's the Fenice.

But everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

You're just at a level not many are at... you've got a bunch of great speakers to choose from, Fenice used, Lyra, Aida, Tidal, etc.

Good luck on your choice, I'm sure it'll be great.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011

Absolutely no need to apologize. I've read similar opinions since the speaker was introduced in 2010. I think the damn things are beautiful but what do I know.

Good luck in your search.

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
Absolutely no need to apologize. I've read similar opinions since the speaker was introduced in 2010. I think the damn things are beautiful but what do I know.

If I had 80K for speakers, I would fly to see the Fenice at that guys place and listen and see them in person before ruling them out. But that's just me.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
If I had 80K for speakers, I would fly to see the Fenice at that guys place and listen and see them in person before ruling them out. But that's just me.

I looked at the audiogon fenice again, I really think in person it would look a heck of a lot nicer. The chrome is a little distracting though but man... it's the Fenice.

But everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

You're just at a level not many are at... you've got a bunch of great speakers to choose from, Fenice used, Lyra, Aida, Tidal, etc.

Good luck on your choice, I'm sure it'll be great.

Frank: Thanks for understanding; that was harsh on my part and not my general style/manner at collaboration on these forums. You are fortunate to own such a speaker. The comment here is right that the all black legs, other portions and the medium to darker veneers seems to emphasize the lines of the speaker and it is striking with the right color. The pair up on Agon (IMHO) is not a great color combo for the speaker and does not go anywhere near showing off the speaker in the way yours I've now seen and the pair demo'ed at the Venetian a few years ago do.

Joey/Frank: I am very grateful to be able to contemplate these speakers at all. I've never felt it necessary to truly think about speakers above $20K-$30K given what I've heard out of my current brand for $10K and $20K with their incredible performance due to being active with RoomEQ/DSP compared to alot of others I've heard over the years and have put the money into growing the system in other directions. Unfortunately though, upgrade path in my current brand only gets more complex (another stereo amp or 4 monos, more cables, stands, etc...practical considerations here, the desire to stay with WAF number 2 in the long-run, size and scale of room and the fact that it cannot be turned into a 'bachelor pad audio room' and all the other colorful phrases I've heard do push me in one direction or another towards passive speakers to limit complexity, number of cables, etc...size of the speaker overall and yet still achieve full-range performance. I've spent many months compiling lists, listening and tracking size of speakers, weight (so as to not require reinforcing 2nd floor sub-floor any further), specs, etc...for ALOT more brands including but not limited to those here matrixed against price. There are many I love the sound and look of that aren't mentioned here and other that are, that are just not passing muster at this point in time as many are even bigger than what is mentioned here; Rockport Arrakis, Eggleston Works Ivy, Savoy, etc....
In short, "Next life...." I guess, we hope for more tolerance and bigger room. Tidal Agoria (very high-priced, very beautiful, etc...), SF Aida are attractive to me as well but I've not found anyone saying they can exist without subs, play truly fully range (say down to 20-21 Hz), do well for rock, prog-rock, pipe organ, in addition to all the more nuanced music I listen to (jazz, classical, etc..).

Thanks again for all the feedback and the understanding! I think it has probably come down to the TAD Ref 1 MkIIs or something similar to achieve great sound and musicality while minimizing the visual "size impact" factor and softening the price to something in the 50-60 range.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing