Analog Audio Design TP-1000

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I see, thanks. I like the implementation of the dual inputs, with the LEDs so you can see which is active.
Is there an option for a tape head pre-out?
I like that it has a built-in headphone amp.

srs148

Jan 3, 2016
A80 does and 820 does even 14s....I think ATR102 might too
The ATR can handle 14" if the reel motors are mounted in the appropriate position. Otherwise, the limit is 10.5", but all ATRs can be converted without further modification and all have swappable deck plate inserts to support both motor-mount locations.

The A80RC does 14"? I thought it was limited to 12.5".

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
The ATR can handle 14" if the reel motors are mounted in the appropriate position. Otherwise, the limit is 10.5", but all ATRs can be converted without further modification and all have swappable deck plate inserts to support both motor-mount locations.

The A80RC does 14"? I thought it was limited to 12.5".
you misread.....A80 does 12,5 max

Reactions: srs148

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
I got confused too... :)

I am thinking of making 14" platters for my ATR's, as I have some pancakes that are larger than their 12.5" ones. I can handle them, and have... but would not mind an extra bit of safety.

Carbon fiber sheets are inexpensive, so maybe I should use it.

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
Unlike the reels, the pancakes are specific to a particular machine, they are not universal, which limits their marketing potential.

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
It is too bad the M15 does not take 14" reels. It is a sizable machine, but I guess they wanted to keep the reels within the outlines of the machine. Most people let the large reels stick out.

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
My Analog Audio Design TP-1000 tape deck has been delivered.

IMG_5943.jpeg

IMG_5944.jpeg

The grey and black finish is quite pleasing. The touch screen is very intuitive and allows accessing numerous settings. I acquired the optional remote control. There is also an ethernet port for downloading the software update and allowing remote diagnostic.

IMG_5965.jpeg

IMG_5966.jpeg

IMG_5957.jpeg
This is currently a repro only machine but it can be retrofitted into a record machine once Christophe Martinez has finalised the record version.

The transport is very smooth and ultra quiet. It can play reels up to 12 inch.

IMG_5962.jpeg

The current setup is temporary as I am still waiting a professional 19" trolley as well as the mounting kit from Analog Audio Design which will allow to install the tape deck into the trolley.

IMG_1974.jpeg

I still need to compare it against the Studer A80 RC MKII with modified repro electronics and the Nagra IVS/QGB combo but the first listening sessions are very convincing.

IMG_5963.jpeg

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
My Analog Audio Design TP-1000 tape deck has been delivered.

View attachment 127935

View attachment 127936

The grey and black finish is quite pleasing. The touch screen is very intuitive and allows accessing numerous settings. I acquired the optional remote control. There is also an ethernet port for downloading the software update and allowing remote diagnostic.

View attachment 127937

View attachment 127938

View attachment 127939
This is currently a repro only machine but it can be retrofitted into a record machine once Christophe Martinez has finalised the record version.

The transport is very smooth and ultra quiet. It can play reels up to 12 inch.

View attachment 127940

The current setup is temporary as I am still waiting a professional 19" trolley as well as the mounting kit from Analog Audio Design which will allow to install the tape deck into the trolley.

View attachment 127941

I still need to compare it against the Studer A80 RC MKII with modified repro electronics and the Nagra IVS/QGB combo but the first listening sessions are very convincing.

View attachment 127942
Congratulations! I saw one at the Tampa show and was impressed.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, dcc! Your comparative report versus A80 will be extremely interesting to many people!

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Over the last two days, I have been intensively comparing the Analog Audio Design TP-1000 against the Studer A80 RC MKII. The latter has been fully refurbished with upgraded repro electronics (details here https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/my-little-barn.26426/page-2).

FullSizeRender.jpeg

I don't have two identical sets of power and interconnect cables. The Studer is fitted with an Hemingway z-Core Alpha power cable and a pair of Elpispandora Daphne XLR interconnect cables whereas the AAD has a Black Cat PC2 and a pair of Elpispandora Daphne Light XLR. It could be argued that I gave the Studer a slight edge.

Comparisons were performed with a wide variety of tapes but mainly classical music with several piano pieces (concertos, chamber music and solo sonatas).

The differences between the two tape decks are subtle. Subjectively, the Studer seems being more linear i.e. pro studio like whereas the AAD is a little bit "warmer". Soundstage, dynamics, transparency and note decay are similar.

I had some reservation when this tape deck was announced. Having had the chance to meet his designer and to test it during two days got me interested in acquiring one.

Overall the Analog Audio Design is a quite attractive package for those who don't want to embark into the overhaul of a vintage tape deck.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Can you remind me/us what preamp you are using for the Studer? I suspect the biggest difference will be from the external preamp vs the internal circuit in the AAD. Thanks.

Reactions: Lee

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
There is a the link in my previous post. This is bespoke tape head preamp designed by my tech which is integrated into the A80 by using some empty card slots.

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
dcc, a question for you... I presume your Studer has butterfly heads - correct? So does your new one, but the commercial tapes are typically recorded with narrow heads. That incompatibility is something to keep in mind.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing