Amplifiers for MartinLogan Renaissance ESL 15A

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Thanks for the advice. I actually have tilted my MLs with the help of IsoAcustic’s feet, so they are pretty straight standing. The 15s are massive. My room is 21x15 feet (6.5m x 4.5m). I believe the 13s is maximum what I can fit in it. Upgrading to 13s is the most straightforward and cost effective adjustment I can do right now. I might also pursue a lead that I ran into on a demo-pair of Alsyvox Tintorett, and change direction totally from Electrostats to Magnetic planars, but that is a totally different story. By now I have ruled out most of the conventional box speakers. Dont think I ever will settle with cone speakers again. Due to sound as much as design. Let’s see what the future brings.
IsoAcoustic had to design threads specially for the MLs that feature the base-mounted tray that houses the bass amp. The threads need to be very long to reach the 8mm spike threads that start some distance in because of the hex section for amp removal. When I bought my 13As and wanted to fit Gaias, I had to get suitable threads made at my local marine hardware engineering equipment supplier, but when I advised IsoAcoustic of the spec required they decided to add this special to their range of optional threads - great service from a helpful brand.

My own view on speaker TYPES is that the room should be the major consideration when choosing between conventional box, electrostatics, horns, omnis, etc. Your preference in music is also important of course, but unless the type of speakers matches your room’s features, you'll always be lacking something.

I too considered that the 13A was probably the best value model in their range when taking price and performance into consideration and they were the size that I'd still go for if my room suited els speakers - but sadly it doesn't, so I’m sticking with less room-fussy horns!

Reactions: The Knife

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing