Amp for Fyne f1-12

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
Hello all
I recently changed speakers to wonderful Fyne F1-12, which are 96db sensitive and 8 ohm resistant. My room in around 15x14 feet with ceiling of 10 feet. Preamp is thrax dionysos, fed by esoteric k-01xd (with esoteric g-02x masterclock) and aurender n20.
Currently I am using amazing audia flight strumento no.4 mk 2 which is class A/B. It mated wonderful with my previous monitor audio PL500II (which were 91db, 4 ohm).
Even though audia flight is sounding great with fyne, I don’t need that much power for my room with high sensitivity of speakers and am thinking of changing the amp to class A (solid state or tube). After some research, I have considered following. Prefer balanced input (xlr). With my busy schedule and location, I cannot audition them and very few dealers (lately very few) are willing to send home demo. So, here is the list: Mostly stuck between top 2.
Accuphase A75
Gryphon essence
Thrax heros
Lampizator pacific 211 balanced.
Even though not class A, I am also leaning towards absolare hybrid, octave mre, ch precision A1.5.
Budget wise would like stay below 25k (USD), used ok too.
I listen to classic, jazz, indie pop, female vocals and some pop. I think I have enough information to help.
Let me know if anybody had experience with these and further input that can help narrow down. Any other reasonable suggestion is always great

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
Yes. I have been on that thread and had few exchanges. Thought of making separate thread dedicated for the amp.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Hello all
I recently changed speakers to wonderful Fyne F1-12, which are 96db sensitive and 8 ohm resistant. My room in around 15x14 feet with ceiling of 10 feet. Preamp is thrax dionysos, fed by esoteric k-01xd (with esoteric g-02x masterclock) and aurender n20.
Currently I am using amazing audia flight strumento no.4 mk 2 which is class A/B. It mated wonderful with my previous monitor audio PL500II (which were 91db, 4 ohm).
Even though audia flight is sounding great with fyne, I don’t need that much power for my room with high sensitivity of speakers and am thinking of changing the amp to class A (solid state or tube). After some research, I have considered following. Prefer balanced input (xlr). With my busy schedule and location, I cannot audition them and very few dealers (lately very few) are willing to send home demo. So, here is the list: Mostly stuck between top 2.
Accuphase A75
Gryphon essence
Thrax heros
Even though not class A, I am also leaning towards absolare hybrid, octave mre, ch precision A1.5.
I listen to classic, jazz, indie pop, female vocals and some pop. I think I have enough information to help.
Let me know if anybody had experience with these and further input that can help narrow down. Any other reasonable suggestion is always great
Aries Cerat Genus power amp...plenty of power for these speakers and will sound heavenly. The previous Thrax Spartacus would also be a good choice if you can find one.

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
Aries Cerat Genus power amp...plenty of power for these speakers and will sound heavenly. The previous Thrax Spartacus would also be a good choice if you can find one.
That is very good amp. Have heard excellent reviews of them. Even though Aries genus is integrated, it is good one heavy box solution. Will see if I can find a dealer in US.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
There is a power amp version as well if you want to continue to use the Thrax preamp.

gestalt

Aug 3, 2019
Nashville, TN
gestalt.audio
S.A.Lab Thunderbird (https://salaboratory.com/en/tube/thunderbird-stereo) would be nice on the Fynes. They offer an integrated too with a XLR power amp input, if you preferred the flexibility.

New Audio Frontiers 211 or 845 amps would be great, but no XLR inputs. I bet that Aries Cerat amp would be good too.

Reactions: morricab

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
Thanks for all input. I have ordered octave RE 320 with super black box. I had heard octave in past and was impressed. I have also changed my preamp to Aries Cerat Incito S and dac to Aries Cerat Kassandra II ref. Waiting for their arrival and will let know how it sounds.

Last edited:

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
I will be posting ad to sell my audio flight strumento no.4 mk2.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Another Fyne owner and I like the LTA UL+. Inexpensive, but quite good. I feel these speakers prefer P/P not SET fyi.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Thanks for all input. I have ordered octave RE 320 with super black box. I had heard octave in past and was impressed. I have also changed my preamp to Aries Cerat Incito S and dad to Aries Cerat Kassandra II ref. Waiting for their arrival and will let know how it sounds.
Congrats on the DAC and pre-amp! My only question would be; Why not an Aries Cerat amp to round out the picture? A Genus or especially a Diana Forte would drive the Fynes effortlessly.

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
Another Fyne owner and I like the LTA UL+. Inexpensive, but quite good. I feel these speakers prefer P/P not SET fyi.
Keith. I trust your opinion based on your speaker journey (went through some bit of it). I am actually looking for some end game equipments now to rest for few years, and am thinking to get everything (dac, preamp, amp) in synergy with one brand (preferably tubes). Was thinking in lines of all nagra, ypsillon, Aries cerat, and even lampizator.
I am sure LTA UL+ will be sounding good with fyne (fyne unlike my previous speakers sound good with everything: they are just right).
I will see how octave sounds (I had liked their sound in past). If I get a chance, I will try to see if I can audition LTA UL+. Eventually my goal is to get all Aries cerat. Like their philosophy, build quality, and their legacy.

Reactions: morricab and flyer

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
Congrats on the DAC and pre-amp! My only question would be; Why not an Aries Cerat amp to round out the picture? A Genus or especially a Diana Forte would drive the Fynes effortlessly.
Yes. That is my goal. They have long wait periods and also want to get my funds aligned. Will wait for few months.

Reactions: morricab

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Keith. I trust your opinion based on your speaker journey (went through some bit of it). I am actually looking for some end game equipments now to rest for few years, and am thinking to get everything (dac, preamp, amp) in synergy with one brand (preferably tubes). Was thinking in lines of all nagra, ypsillon, Aries cerat, and even lampizator.
I am sure LTA UL+ will be sounding good with fyne (fyne unlike my previous speakers sound good with everything: they are just right).
I will see how octave sounds (I had liked their sound in past). If I get a chance, I will try to see if I can audition LTA UL+. Eventually my goal is to get all Aries cerat. Like their philosophy, build quality, and their legacy.
Yes, they really aren't as picky due to the efficiency as others. I hope to hear the full Nagra Classic stack in the spring...

I haven't heard Aries Cerat so can't opine there.

Bling23

Aug 3, 2020
Ireland
Hello all
Accuphase A75
Gryphon essence
Thrax heros

Hello all
Accuphase A75
Gryphon essence
Thrax heros
Hi there

Consider Audio Note for tube and Vitus for transistor class A
Thanks
Sean

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Yes. That is my goal. They have long wait periods and also want to get my funds aligned. Will wait for few months.
Yes, very long...i had a very patient customer for his Talos recently...supply chain issues abound at the moment I think.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Yes, they really aren't as picky due to the efficiency as others. I hope to hear the full Nagra Classic stack in the spring...

I haven't heard Aries Cerat so can't opine there.
A friend of mine has all Nagra (Classic DAC, Jazz pre and VPA 845 monos) with his Sonus Faber Olympica 2 speakers. The Jazz and VPA are very good I would say but the Classic DAC can only be characterized as "lean". Highly resolved, smooth sounding but clearly lacking in the mid-bass region. This is in comparison to a number of DACs at his place and at my place. Maybe the tube version (he has the all SS version) would work better? Who knows but I think he is looking now to move on from that DAC because even the DAC section of his Luxman SACD player (albeit their top SACD player) has just as much resolution and more heft.

Seems the tube Nagra stuff is clearly more to me liking...no surprise there...

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
Hi there

Consider Audio Note for tube and Vitus for transistor class A
Thanks
Sean
Thanks. I am going to go in the route of tubes. Audio note is legendary. Just to keep same brand, I will stick with AC. If I don't get in my price range in time, I may change route to Nagra or audio note. I have heard from people using audio note, as being too romantic, even rock sounds romantic. Any experience with audio note ?

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
Yes, very long...i had a very patient customer for his Talos recently...supply chain issues abound at the moment I think.
I just heard that genus stereo amp take 3-4 months to b delivered and same with Impera II ref.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I just heard that genus stereo amp take 3-4 months to b delivered and same with Impera II ref.
Yes, but it was always a 3 months standard wait time...hand built audio takes a while to be made...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing