Dec 26, 2010
Last edited:

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Great stuff, wizard. Looks like a pair ordered for Tony Stark... (Iron Man for those don't follow Marvel Comics)

Yeah it does now that you mention it! :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Anyone care to speculate whether these plus, say, 2-4 great subs expertly setup...would compete on par (purely in terms of scale) with a pair of Arrakis...in a room 18x33x8?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I don't know , never heard rockport , but since you asked , ....woofer height does matter image wise imo , besides off course membrane surface

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I don't know , never heard rockport , but since you asked , ....woofer height does matter image wise imo , besides off course membrane surface

Thanks...makes sense. I just don't know what the specific implications of the height are or of the membrane...in terms of being able to guesstimate whether the Arrakis extra membrane or height would be too much for the Altair to match.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
So I have some interesting experiences here. Being a former Wilson Maxx 3 owner (that did raise the woofers up and midrange/tweeter/midrange also higher up). Plus I have been able to hear the Arrakis several times at Arnie's house.

So with that context...The Altair 2 does image height better than the Maxx 3. That was my sole reservation when I was swapping speakers if I'd miss that driver arrangement. I do not...the Altair's being better integrated also.

The Arrakis defineately has better bass control at Arnie's home...could also be his 4 vtl amps vs my 2 ayres. And Arnie has subs. But I can't say his does image height better. I do think Arnies does images better to the outsides of each speaker. Again...is this the speaker or something upstream? Or the speaker controlling the room better? Now I really have great images outside of my speakers...just Arnies is a bit better.

I guess on membrane you're talking woofer cone material? The Altairs go deeper than the Maxx 3's, better articulation...The Maxx 3 has a punch and drive to the bass...where as the Rockports it's just naturally part of the music. I could see some liking the Wilson bass...I listen to a lot of jazz (think bill evans) and small ensembles on classical...like a piano/cello duet. Music choices and your room could make it interesting...to me I like the Rockports...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
So I have some interesting experiences here. Being a former Wilson Maxx 3 owner (that did raise the woofers up and midrange/tweeter/midrange also higher up). Plus I have been able to hear the Arrakis several times at Arnie's house.

So with that context...The Altair 2 does image height better than the Maxx 3. That was my sole reservation when I was swapping speakers if I'd miss that driver arrangement. I do not...the Altair's being better integrated also.

The Arrakis defineately has better bass control at Arnie's home...could also be his 4 vtl amps vs my 2 ayres. And Arnie has subs. But I can't say his does image height better. I do think Arnies does images better to the outsides of each speaker. Again...is this the speaker or something upstream? Or the speaker controlling the room better? Now I really have great images outside of my speakers...just Arnies is a bit better.

I guess on membrane you're talking woofer cone material? The Altairs go deeper than the Maxx 3's, better articulation...The Maxx 3 has a punch and drive to the bass...where as the Rockports it's just naturally part of the music. I could see some liking the Wilson bass...I listen to a lot of jazz (think bill evans) and small ensembles on classical...like a piano/cello duet. Music choices and your room could make it interesting...to me I like the Rockports...
Great stuff...in a room 18x33, I am hoping the Altair would match the Arrakis in scale...particular if, being a bass freak (think deep house), I had dual subs...much friendlier than gi-normous (though stunning) 6'9" towers each weighing 1,000 pounds...sounds like they might just do it.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Great stuff...in a room 18x33, I am hoping the Altair would match the Arrakis in scale...particular if, being a bass freak (think deep house), I had dual subs...much friendlier than gi-normous (though stunning) 6'9" towers each weighing 1,000 pounds...sounds like they might just do it.

My room is about 18x26..but has some alcoves and area behind that add to the room volume ... plus vaulted ceilings at about 18 high...

my room.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Fantastic...I forgot that you'd used Rives. I wonder if much of height is the speaker being in a room that ALLOWS it to portray height and generally scale. 18' feet is very different than 8'. And both the genesis 1.1 room and Arrakis room had at least 10-12 foot ceilings...

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Fantastic...I forgot that you'd used Rives. I wonder if much of height is the speaker being in a room that ALLOWS it to portray height and generally scale. 18' feet is very different than 8'. And both the genesis 1.1 room and Arrakis room had at least 10-12 foot ceilings...

Good point...I sure the room height has something to do with it...and how the ceiling is treated...just thinking...i might be wrong here..but a large speaker with a 8 ft ceiling maybe worse...unless you treat it right...Steve's room, I've seen his pics...and heard from friends that have visiting...his speakers are close to the walls...but expert treatment (and I am sure the adjustability of the Wilson's is a winner.

This is a key advantage of Wilson speakers...the adjustability...if your room needs it...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Good point...I sure the room height has something to do with it...and how the ceiling is treated...just thinking...i might be wrong here..but a large speaker with a 8 ft ceiling maybe worse...unless you treat it right...Steve's room, I've seen his pics...and heard from friends that have visiting...his speakers are close to the walls...but expert treatment (and I am sure the adjustability of the Wilson's is a winner.

This is a key advantage of Wilson speakers...the adjustability...if your room needs it...
Yes I admire Wilson for this a lot. I also am waiting on any major speaker changes til we know long term if we are staying or moving. That ceiling height sounds like it will be important.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great photo, Wizard. Thanks! I see Esoteric Digital, Vitus amps, Burmester, Goldmund?, Gryphon Trident 1s, Wilson X2s, as well. Any comments that went with this photo as to how they sounded? or how they compared with the 2 other speakers in this photo?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
wow...Eggleston's too! These guys have all the toys there! YES!...finding out how it sounded...particularly since they're all in one room...how the various speakers might have compared would be great. Thanks for trying, Wizard!!!!!!!!!!!!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing