Alsyvox planars...prepare to sell your Magico's, YG's, Wilson's, Cessaro's. Maggie's, and all others!!

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Hi Bob,

My apologies, you did answer my question in your original post. I was multi-tasking (working from home) and I entirely missed it. I own a pair of MSB M204 monoblocks (Class A) that are on the sidelines. Do you know anyone who has tried them with the Alsyvox?

Thanks,
Ken
Hi Ken,

I have not heard anyone that has used the MSB M204s monos on the Alsyvox. I think I would have heard about it. I know they would light them up in a good way. I have heard the M204s several times in the past, very nice amps imho. I would bet it would sound VG (depending on properly set up with good matching pre/front end etc) but no I have not heard of anyone with that combination.

Reactions: Alpinist

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
What mainstream amps do the Alsyvox sound great with? They had some amp choices at the audio shows that I’m totally unfamiliar with, which makes me wary.

They sound absolutely incredible with Ayre as well; really any high quality amp capable of driving a four ohm load should work well.

Reactions: Rhapsody

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
My friend has heard the alsyvox speakers and he wasn’t to impressed. He liked the magnapan 30.7s better.

Must not like bass; no Magnepan since the original Tympani IV, including the 30.7 as demoed on its factory tour, has any.

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
I haven't heard your room, but I've head many Magnepans in other rooms, none of which (aside from the Tympani IV) had any bass.

I've stated before if the factory rep (it may have even been the designer) taking speakers on a factory tour can't make the speaker sound "right," that doesn't bode well for anyone else.

Reactions: christoph

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I haven't heard your room, but I've head many Magnepans in other rooms, none of which (aside from the Tympani IV) had any bass.

I've stated before if the factory rep (it may have even been the designer) taking speakers on a factory tour can't make the speaker sound "right," that doesn't bode well for anyone else.
I believe you.I must be lucky because I get good bass with them.they are room fussy but I had them set up with the help of the dealer.I also have the base panels against the side walls.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I heard a lot of these dealers rooms were not right for the 30.7s. They are fussy and will work in some rooms and not others.I bought a pair of 20.7s to see how they work in my room before buying the 30.7s.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia

What speakers do you own?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Magnapan bass is very natural that it sounds like a natural live performance,it doesn’t exaggerate the bass like a lot of speakers.
The Magnapans are super speakers. I think I've owned 5+ pairs over the last 40 years. Have always enjoyed my time with them.

Have you thought of starting a thread about your 3.7s where you would be able to discuss them in detail and involve Maggie lovers?

Even though you have never heard the Alsyvox personally you would be able to note how your friends have heard the Alsyvox and how they preferred the Magnepans.

In this Alsyvox thread where people who have actually heard the Alsyvox speakers and have discussed the likes and dislikes when hearing the speakers, it has proved to be an interesting thread.

I personally can't get a good understanding from your comments about "your friend" ie, where he heard the speakers? What size room? How were the speakers set up? What were the electronics? What system does your friend have? What are his/her sonic preferences?

Always eager to discuss preferences and the pro's, con's of any speaker with someone who has heard a specific speaker. Having an intelligent conversation with someone about any speaker with someone that has not personally heard a particular speaker, not so much.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing