Alsyvox planars...prepare to sell your Magico's, YG's, Wilson's, Cessaro's. Maggie's, and all others!!

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I would LOVE to do a shoot out with Pilium vs Audionet:)

Reactions: heihei and bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
  • Haha
Reactions: Rhapsody

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
They did, and still do when you hit particular resonant frequencies; neither Graz nor the installer were ever able to nail down why, but it wasn't due to the ribbons or surrounds being bad per se.

The fun thing is the same track would make the Caliper and Diva buzz, but not the Duetta.

Then other tracks would make the Duetta buzz but not the Caliper or Diva.

Nothing would make the Full Range buzz.

Fun times.
They know now. I went through it with them a few years ago.

A tape measure, a wavelength to frequency calculator plus a signal generator are tools to confirm it.

The truth is it is quite narrow band in both the ribbon and bass panels. Until the foam deteriorates or the foil separates from the kapton. Then it just gets wider and wider band.

I am pretty sure you could trip an Alsyvox up the same way. It's just physics.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
The truth is it is quite narrow band in both the ribbon and bass panels. Until the foam deteriorates or the foil separates from the kapton. Then it just gets wider and wider band.

Who is going to step forward to blow up their Alsyvox with a signal generator at resonance to test the theory? Knowledge has no price tag.

Reactions: Zero000

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
I would LOVE to do a shoot out with Pilium vs Audionet:)
Me too. If we get a pair of Alsyvox in the UK, it might be possible.

BTW I wouldn't call Heisenbergs cold - far from it.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Me too. If we get a pair of Alsyvox in the UK, it might be possible.

BTW I wouldn't call Heisenbergs cold - far from it.
I didn't see where anyone said that Audionet was cold??? Maybe I missed it.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Who is going to step forward to blow up their Alsyvox with a signal generator at resonance to test the theory? Knowledge has no price tag.
I just think Alsyvox are new kids on the block. Let's see what they are saying saying about them in 25-30 years.

Preview: do they buzz? Yeah. I spent 195K on them. That's fairly irrelevant, though. Mostly, they seemed quite good

LOL.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I just think Alsyvox are new kids on the block.
Wiith Leonardo that has been in development and then introduced as the predecessor to Alsyvox, but the same overall design has only been in existence since 1994. Not sure if that qualifies as a "new kid on the block"?

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
An audiophile neighbor says Emile Bok's (Boticelli?) system is the best system he has ever heard. Alsyvox look to have amazing build and design quality (magnets on BOTH sides of the ribbon) and even throw in efficiency, so if they hold the crown, they can exact the premium.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I've been listening to pretty much on a daily basis via several models of Alsyvox for the last 4-5 years. Besides my personal listening I've probably participated in 100+ Alsyvox demos at Rhapsody locations, plus heard/tuned 20+ Alsyvox US customers systems, as well as been present at several trade shows where Alsyvox was an exhibitor.

I perosnally listen with 600Watts/4ohms and at times I play LOUD. (Probably using a few watts most of the time)

During all of these listening sessions I can safely say that I have never myself heard or did any of the few hundred listeners mention that they heard the Alsyvox speakers "buzz". ymmv, just my personal experience.

Last edited:

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Lets not forget the ribbon travel is up to 20mm with Alsyvox, most panels are half of that. Still, if you play a pipe organ at its lowest frequency, REALLY LOUD, you might get the ribbon to hit maximum excursion.

With Botticelli playing down to 22 hz, I'm sure if you were to do something silly like use Botticelli as a speaker for a techno dance club (I did say silly, they're clearly not designed for such purpose) you'd find the limits. All speakers have limits.

Reactions: HughP3

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
I didn't see where anyone said that Audionet was cold??? Maybe I missed it.
Post #1040, but on re-reading, think it is "could" misspelt

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Post #1040, but on re-reading, think it is "could" misspelt
Yes, I think he just missed spelled “could”….typo

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I personally think that Audionet, CHP, Soulution, Boulder, Gryphon, DartZeel etc are all GREAT AMPLIFIERS. I will put Pilium up against any of them and feel that the $100K Hercules monos will compete with any of the mentioned $200K monos as well as being a bit more "liquid" sounding. But that's my personal opinion. Owners of all of the mentioned amplifiers I am sure would have a different opinion.

It's great to have so many choices for all to enjoy!

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I personally think that Audionet, CHP, Soulution, Boulder, Gryphon, DartZeel etc are all GREAT AMPLIFIERS. I will put Pilium up against any of them and feel that the $100K Hercules monos will compete with any of the mentioned $200K monos as well as being a bit more "liquid" sounding. But that's my personal opinion. Owners of all of the mentioned amplifiers I am sure would have a different opinion.

It's great to have so many choices for all to enjoy!
All amplifiers are great…just some are greater than others…;)

Reactions: Rhapsody

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
They know now. I went through it with them a few years ago.

A tape measure, a wavelength to frequency calculator plus a signal generator are tools to confirm it.

This was with brand new Graz ribbons and foam on all the speakers in question - it was right after redoing my Caliper Signatures because I thought the old ribbons/foam were causing the issue, and the rest of the Apogees were tested at the ribbon installer's home (Rich Murray at True Sound Works.)

I've never, ever heard it on the Alsyvox; for the Calipers and Diva it was normal listening levels (not even loud), triggered by the french horn on Carpenters' track Superstar.

For the Duettas it was the opening harp notes on Beth Nielsen Chapman's Faithful Heart.

Neither causes an issue on the Botticelli.

Last edited:

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
Lets not forget the ribbon travel is up to 20mm with Alsyvox, most panels are half of that. Still, if you play a pipe organ at its lowest frequency, REALLY LOUD, you might get the ribbon to hit maximum excursion.

Been there, done that (whoops.)

Track? No Time for Caution from Interstellar, of course. :D

No buzz, just an ugly thwack as the ribbons ran out of extension.

Not an Alsyvox failing, I once got a woofer on a pair of Vivid Audio Giya G2s to do the same. :oops:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Color me sad.:( No Alsyvox at CAF 2022. Say it aint so.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Color me sad.:( No Alsyvox at CAF 2022. Say it aint so.
No we will not bet at CAF. We just did the Chicago and Seattle shows. With the five US Rhapsody locations which are now available for Alsyvox auditions, we have plenty of focused visitors so the shows don't seem as important for us right now.

Have a great show!

Reactions: BillK

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
This was with brand new Graz ribbons and foam on all the speakers in question - it was right after redoing my Caliper Signatures because I thought the old ribbons/foam were causing the issue, and the rest of the Apogees were tested at the ribbon installer's home (Rich Murray at True Sound Works.)

I've never, ever heard it on the Alsyvox; for the Calipers and Diva it was normal listening levels (not even loud), triggered by the french horn on Carpenters' track Superstar.

For the Duettas it was the opening harp notes on Beth Nielsen Chapman's Faithful Heart.

Neither causes an issue on the Botticelli.
Bill, it is maths and physics.

The hard bit is knowing how to design stuff so the flaws don't show themselves.

I did think a bit about how much effort to put into making a better pair of Duettas. I put a massive amount of effort into the pair I have in a way most people won't understand. And so did the builder.

Something, at least to me is evident, though. Planar magnetic speakers are the Apogee. If you will excuse the pun.

Reactions: BillK and cjfrbw

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing