Alsyvox planars...prepare to sell your Magico's, YG's, Wilson's, Cessaro's. Maggie's, and all others!!

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Of course they aren't ten times better. Maggies are OK value. Law of diminishing dooberies etc.

If you want the best planar magnetics on the planet, the Alsyvox are probably it.

They have faults, though. You need to be along way away for the bass from the bass panels to really blend with the 4 way mains. So even this speaker system has integration issues of sorts.

They may have longevity issues I simply don't know, but it is a risk.

It's a one man band not a big company etc.

All sorts of factors need to be considered I think much as I love the sound they produce.

When I retire I think my hobby will be trying to make a Diva or Boticelli sized pair of planar magnetics from scratch entirely by myself using my own ideas just to keep me from dying of boredom. I think it is quite doable. I really do.

I will not stop until they are outstanding. Then I'll drop dead with peace of mind;)

If there’s bass integration issues with the Caravaggios I do wonder if having four panel ribbon panels are then ultimately just too hard to absolutely integrate and completely dial in... with large panels the very slightest lack of coherency and integration is just so easy to hear.

Even just just a few millimetre moves when dialling in ribbons are the difference between seamlessness and disconnect and achieving absolute coherency is really the full range ribbon panels greatest accomplishment.

Maybe this could then be an archille’s heel in multi panel models like the Caravaggio and Maggie 30.7s. If there is any sort of bass integration issue in the Caravaggio this would be a definite $300k deal breaker. It’s a deal breaker even at $30k.

Maybe the simpler two panel full range ribbon models have an advantage in this.

Last edited:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
If there’s bass integration issues with the Caravaggios I do wonder if having four panel ribbon panels are then ultimately just too hard to absolutely integrate and completely dial in... with large panels the very slightest lack of coherency and integration is just so easy to hear.

Even just just a few millimetre moves when dialling in ribbons are the difference between seamlessness and disconnect and achieving absolute coherency is really the full range ribbon panels greatest accomplishment.

Maybe this could then be an archille’s heel in multi panel models like the Caravaggio and Maggie 30.7s. If there is any sort of bass integration issue in the Caravaggio this would be a definite $300k deal breaker. It’s a deal breaker even at $30k.

Maybe the simpler two panel full range ribbon models have an advantage in this.

Last line they do. No question.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
There is also a 4 panel analysis amphytryon, much cheaper. The other two panels are bass panels.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, in the same day I went from 120W Nat Transmitters on AA Omegas to 150W+ push-pulls on Justin's Duettas. IMHO, the Omegas were embarassed in every sonic parameter that matters.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked, in the same day I went from 120W Nat Transmitters on AA Omegas to 150W+ push-pulls on Justin's Duettas. IMHO, the Omegas were embarassed in every sonic parameter that matters.

I didn't say analysis was better than apogees, though I prefer the omega to Justin's duettas

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Funny predicament we find ourselves in the world of the high end.

A well regarded car mag may be able to gather the top 10 super cars in the world and thrash them on the Nordschleife and report to you exact times and speeds along the track and proclaim a winner.
Does this mean the declared winner will be swamped with orders and the other close up shop ?
I dont think so.
Humans respond to more subjective reasoning and emotion.
You can take someone's word for it but until you plant your butt in the drivers seat, all the talk means nill.
And all the ..." this is the best" bell ringing means little to anyone but the one ringing the bell.
Humans are creatures of emotion, we like what we like and for the most part its not what someone else likes.
Its what set off the electrochemical cocktail in our mellons that gives us that "OH YEAH " feeling.

At least in the world of expotic cars you can get all the contenders on the same track on the same day and maybe even with the same tires and driver. In which case you can provide objective facts to the reader which they can use to make a buying decision.
Not so in high end audio. Most have never heard an Infinity IRS or Genesis Prime or MBL Extreme
Sure we read about them in the rags and we drool, we may have even heard them at shows.
Trouble is the car guys are one up on us...No way will we ever demo a line up of super high end speakers in the same room with the same system and the same music.
Even if you had the means to jet across the globe and hear each super system in their best environments.
Our aural memory is fleeting, so trying to remember what the MBL's sounded like compared to the Gens is nothing more than an exercise in futility and the different rooms and systems would negate any chance of an objective conclusion.

So in the end...all we can do is keep our ears and minds open , follow our passions and enjoy our choices in life.

So if you can swing it, go order those 4 panel Alsyvox Caravaggios .
For me ? I would rather spend that kind of scratch on a Porsche GT2 RS.
It will hold its value , and I dont have to spend another 300 grand on an audio system to play it.
John, I'd actually spend that cash on a 1970s or 80s donor 911 sent for a Singer restoration.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Car analogy to audio is not correct. There can be many objectives to buy a car. To commute simply from A to B at the lowest cost, to drive long distances comfortably, service, to carry family and groceries around, or just (perceive you) look cool.

For audio most of those objectives make no sense, no guy ever got laid by owning a cool looking system (he didn't by owning a cool looking car either, but some guys like to think so). So the equivalent of a sports car makes no sense. "My TT goes to 45 rpm in 0.1 second - big deal". Cost, service, and sound reproduction (for your kind of music) should be the main objectives for a forum discussion, with WAF and child-proofness being individual objectives for some people.

Cars are also a much more family thing, and easily sellable, as compared to audio equipment. The market is more efficient too

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
No guy ever got laid by having a cool car? You're joking, yes?

Too bad for you guys stuck in Zone One Central London, you're certainly not getting laid because of your Smart Car or carbon fibre bike LOL.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I didn't say analysis was better than apogees, though I prefer the omega to Justin's duettas

I'm with Marc.

You are entitled to your opinion Ked but my speakers are far better built than the Analysis are. They are also way more dynamic.

That said Marc isn't a classical fan and nor am I. I always let classical people say they don't like them. It's a complement.

:)

Reactions: Rocoa

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
No guy ever got laid by having a cool car? You're joking, yes?

Too bad for you guys stuck in Zone One Central London, you're certainly not getting laid because of your Smart Car or carbon fibre bike LOL.

Possibly your Citroen was the most attractive thing about you Marc. I got laid when they saw me panther striding between tube stops

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I'm with Marc.

You are entitled to your opinion Ked but my speakers are far better built than the Analysis are. They are also way more dynamic.

That said Marc isn't a classical fan and nor am I. I always let classical people say they don't like them. It's a complement.

:)

Sorry I love Apogees. You need to get better full rangers when you move to a bigger place

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Possibly your Citroen was the most attractive thing about you Marc. I got laid when they saw me panther striding between tube stops
Ked, I need all the help I can get.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Lagonda bought all those cars to outrun women there were too many. That was 40 years ago though

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Saw this a few days ago locally.

Colour is a no no but it'll beat my Porsche. That wouldn't be hard, though.

Attachments

• IMG_20190505_145320.jpg
    IMG_20190505_145320.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20190505_145333.jpg
    IMG_20190505_145333.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20190505_145341.jpg
    IMG_20190505_145341.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9

gwalt

Jan 4, 2019
Understood. It is a provocative thread title, but given the prices for such speakers, I think few who hear them are really going to dump their systems to get them. I guess, if I were in the market for this kind of a speaker, meaning cost and room, then I would perhaps want to audition them to just see how they compare. Until then, it is just forum reading. It is nice to have alternatives to consider at the highest price levels.

Totally agree with this response however I was one who was dead in the hobby for lack of emotion with current speakers. Therefore I found a way to get the Botticelli's purchased after hearing a bunch of other brands and models over time. With that said however, if you cannot afford them you might not want to listen to them as they may just hook you in also as they did me. They provided me with lots of emotion which is what a speaker (audio system in general) should be able to do.
In the end, just be thankful to have "choices" that are made solely by you and not someone else as there are many choices to satisfy most all needs and price points.

planarman

Apr 30, 2017
Totally agree with this response however I was one who was dead in the hobby for lack of emotion with current speakers. Therefore I found a way to get the Botticelli's purchased after hearing a bunch of other brands and models over time. With that said however, if you cannot afford them you might not want to listen to them as they may just hook you in also as they did me. They provided me with lots of emotion which is what a speaker (audio system in general) should be able to do.
In the end, just be thankful to have "choices" that are made solely by you and not someone else as there are many choices to satisfy most all needs and price points.
It is to bad gwalt did not have the opportunity to audition the GT Audioworks System at almost 75% less than the Botticelli’s.
We have had customers come to audition them and ultimately purchase them from all over the US and overseas. See below Facebook link where some of our customers systems are on video along with rave reviews.
https://www.facebook.com/sounderinsight/

gwalt

Jan 4, 2019
Good for you Planarman! In the end, I saw the speakers with the cone driver subs. and decided definitely they were not for me.
In addition, I look at the speakers while I am listening and did not care for the looks of the 4 panels nor felt I had the room. I will hear them someday and maybe be impressed but assure you I am very happy on the decision I made.
No need to respond further on the topic of your speakers here.
Thanks

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing