Alexx V arrive in NJ

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Either audiophiles are after truth to the original or they are not. Which one is it??????????

This question I can answer. This is a false dichotomy.

Different audiophiles, whether deliberately or unconsciously, pursue different objectives in this hobby.

Reactions: MadFloyd

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
This question I can answer. This is a false dichotomy.

Different audiophiles, whether deliberately or unconsciously, pursue different objectives in this hobby.

Agree. As I mentioned to Ralph, the audiophiles’ purist pursuit and wanting to reproduce what is on the recording is a facade. It is a proclamation and an exercise in theory but not in practice.

HenryD

Aug 29, 2020
Just read the spec on HFN review, the Alex V is indeed a very tough load (1.9ohm), a killer amp is needed. Can anyone explain why such a big speaker need to have such a difficult load? What are the tradeoffs?

Reactions: PeterA

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I guess we live in a quantum world where anything is possible .
2600 $ fuses 40000 $ cables ( luckily my system is too bad to hear the difference :cool: )
The problem is a lot of audiophiles take reviewers / magazines far to seriously , they accept what was written as fundamental truths.
Magazines are there to sell you something just like any other advertisement based magazines.
Better to wait it out for a year read some forums and then decide whether to buy or not

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
Oh is that so. Care to expand? You want to maintain credibility, you better substantiate with supporting evidence.

Is this one also going to get deleted?
It will be deleted as it dares to question the wisdom of Mr Nord… sorry , Mr Gregory. Also our esteemed forum admin likes Mr Gregory’s post even though it doesn’t hold water under simple scrutiny.

Still if it was Hoffman you’d already be suspended for same ;)

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
I guess we live in a quantum world where anything is possible .
2600 $ fuses 40000 $ cables ( luckily my system is too bad to hear the difference :cool: )
The problem is a lot of audiophiles take reviewers / magazines far to seriously , they accept what was written as fundamental truths.
Magazines are there to sell you something just like any other advertisement based magazines.
Better to wait it out for a year read some forums and then decide whether to buy or not
Bottom line. Check the adverts. The bigger the advertising budget the better the review. Sure not every time … but mostly And certainly true of certain rags and some rather unscrupulous journalists who must remain nameless until my death bed, else I’ll be cancelled. :cool:

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Your question did not strike me as obnoxious or snarky (a little unnecessarily sarcastic, maybe), so why would I delete it?
Because too many posts are getting deleted WBF has become worse than FB in censorship! So now anything deemed snarky by an admin gets deleted? Allow me to be obnoxious and snarky and call BS on this :).

david

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
Because too many posts are getting deleted WBF has become worse than FB in censorship! So now anything deemed snarky by an admin gets deleted? Allow me to be obnoxious and snarky and call BS on this :).

david
Ah now I may disagree with that, NOTHING is worse than FB imho

• Haha
Reactions: PeterA

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

david
Oh, you mean my missing post, I guess. Lol. Others too?
Sarcasm really ought not to be any trigger for censorship, very few will remain safe.
Unless of course we want What's Best Stepford Wives.

redandgold

Jun 3, 2018
I ask myself if different amps have only different frequency responses? I can imagine the different amps have depending on their different signal processing especially different time/phase behavior over the frequency. And therefore all amps sound different. And that amps sound different is out of discussion, is it?
So I could imagine the different phase/frequency behavior leads to different stimulation of the room, which requires different room set ups for different amps. Let me know if I am totally wrong.
The second question is why Wilson Audio offer to measure and calculate different driver setups of XVX for different amps. So the amp story seems not out of the world.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
As more and more post's get delete to placate reviewers, advertisers and manufacturers, the buying customers taper away and stop posting. Who is left to be influenced ? Is a forum where every thread is about a "revolutionary new product" posted by a dealer or manufacturer interesting ? :rolleyes:

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
I ask myself if different amps have only different frequency responses? I can imagine the different amps have depending on their different signal processing especially different time/phase behavior over the frequency. And therefore all amps sound different. And that amps sound different is out of discussion, is it?
So I could imagine the different phase/frequency behavior leads to different stimulation of the room, which requires different room set ups for different amps. Let me know if I am totally wrong.
The second question is why Wilson Audio offer to measure and calculate different driver setups of XVX for different amps. So the amp story seems not out of the world.
Oh, its not a story, think about it, others !

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
How do we know of our posts got deleted ? It seems some of mine have been. guess it’s time to move on and just read lol. wow I never knew this place has gone to this level. it seems the experts have won good by

Last edited:

stirlingtrayle

Almost any competently designed solid-state amp will have pretty much a ruler-flat frequency response from at least 20Hz to 20kHz - on a test bench, driving a resistive load.

The real world is different and a much more scary place for an amplifier—the impedance of actual loudspeakers changes with changing frequencies, sometimes with astonishing speed and degree. The Alexx V and XVX are particular cases in point, each with very low minimum impedance points.

This means that not only will an amplifier’s output capability vary with frequency, but once you start driving it with a musical signal, its capability in responding to the dynamics of music comes very much into play. That’s a critical part of this, as no two amplifiers will be the same in that regard.

So, in the real world and real systems, two different amplifiers will drive the same speaker very differently, with a different dynamic and bass response.

I think the whole point of Roy Gregory’s post was that while it would be nice if changing an amplifier were a simple thing, it’s just not. In reality, you are changing both the relationship between the amplifier and speaker but also the relationship between the speaker and the room. If a speaker is being driven differently by whatever amplifier, then the speaker will drive differently what it is driving. And that is the room. It’s been my experience that it’s essential to consider speaker placement when you change the amp(s) - or pretty much anything else in the system! That’s just physics...

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
As more and more post's get delete to placate reviewers, advertisers and manufacturers, the buying customers taper away and stop posting. Who is left to be influenced ? Is a forum where every thread is about a "revolutionary new product" posted by a dealer or manufacturer interesting ? :rolleyes:

The admin does seem enamored with posts by reviewers, advertisers and manufacturers while failing to realize that some of the regular posters on here are more accomplished.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

david

Dear David,

The Terms of Service have not changed. Enforcement has not changed.

2. Cordial participation is a key requisite of being a member in our forum. If in our opinion you are violating this rule, administrative action may be taken which may include termination of your membership and deletion of your posts with or without notice.

10. Posting topics involving politics, religion or firearms are not allowed and will be removed with appropriate warnings issued to the member. Repeated offenses can result in membership ban.

Obnoxious is not cordial; sarcastic is not cordial; snarky is not cordial; swearing is not cordial. Politics is not allowed; veiled or implied political "shots" or innuendo are not allowed. The moderators enforce these rules as best they can.

Last edited:

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Almost any competently designed solid-state amp will have pretty much a ruler-flat frequency response from at least 20Hz to 20kHz - on a test bench, driving a resistive load.

The real world is different and a much more scary place for an amplifier—the impedance of actual loudspeakers changes with changing frequencies, sometimes with astonishing speed and degree. The Alexx V and XVX are particular cases in point, each with very low minimum impedance points.

This means that not only will an amplifier’s output capability vary with frequency, but once you start driving it with a musical signal, its capability in responding to the dynamics of music comes very much into play. That’s a critical part of this, as no two amplifiers will be the same in that regard.

So, in the real world and real systems, two different amplifiers will drive the same speaker very differently, with a different dynamic and bass response.

I think the whole point of Roy Gregory’s post was that while it would be nice if changing an amplifier were a simple thing, it’s just not. In reality, you are changing both the relationship between the amplifier and speaker but also the relationship between the speaker and the room. If a speaker is being driven differently by whatever amplifier, then the speaker will drive differently what it is driving. And that is the room. It’s been my experience that it’s essential to consider speaker placement when you change the amp(s) - or pretty much anything else in the system! That’s just physics...

Keep this in the context of amplifiers costing over $200,000.00. The John Curl designed JC-1+ amps do not have an issue with the load.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing