Air compressor for cleaning audio rack

Chauncey79

Oct 26, 2023
Anyone use an air compressor to clean hard to reach places in audio rack? I have an air purifier I can run on high to hopefully pull in all the dust once it's airborne?

I had been using a duster but it's still tough to get all areas including cables.

Republicoftexas69

Anyone use an air compressor to clean hard to reach places in audio rack? I have an air purifier I can run on high to hopefully pull in all the dust once it's airborne?

I had been using a duster but it's still tough to get all areas including cables.
Air compressor or compressed in a can?

Big difference. Air from an air compressor unless it has incandescent filters will deploy moisture/condensation in the air tank from the compression process. Dust off will not. I use Dust Off all the time and I have a 60 gallon compressor in my shop.

J007B

Jul 25, 2020
I use a scuba tank. Pure air, no moisture or oil.

Chauncey79

Oct 26, 2023
Air compressor or compressed in a can?

Big difference. Air from an air compressor unless it has incandescent filters will deploy moisture/condensation in the air tank from the compression process. Dust off will not. I use Dust Off all the time and I have a 60 gallon compressor in my shop.
LOL I was thinking a compressor as I'm sure I would go through like 5 cans of dust off trying to get all the dust off.

Republicoftexas69

I use a scuba tank. Pure air, no moisture or oil.
Dryed air it is not pure. The air is still compressed but filtered.
LOL I was thinking a compressor as I'm sure I would go through like 5 cans of dust off trying to get all the dust off.
I use 2 cans a year. You either live in a dust bowl or you have a huge system. Oh, or you are an Oscar Madison type. :cool:

Last edited:

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...I like to wipe gear off with a cloth, where practical. I also like these duster-things, which can get under gear, into little nooks, etc. They work very well. The disposable "rags" slip over the fork handle.

I rarely use the canned-air, as I feel it just makes a mini-cloud of dust, but the air combined with a small vacuum cleaner, suctioning while spraying helps in that regard. IMG_9088.jpeg IMG_9089.jpeg

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
Swiffer and ostrich feather dusters are fantastic at snapping cantilevers off of cartridges! I had a house cleaner kill one for me back in the 90's. She specifically wasn't supposed to "help" with the audio rack in the corner of the living room, but she just couldn't help herself....

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...yes, my helper has been instructed not to "help" a couple of times now. Sometimes I think unless I crassly tell her the value of the stuff, she just thinks she's...helping. I told her the goofy looking vase upstairs is give-or-take 4,500 years old, and she stays way clear of that thing!

Republicoftexas69

I use the Swiffer and Ostrich feather dusters. I’ve also got an air purifier and Rainbow Vacuum that helps keep the dust down and room smelling fresh.
I don't have a Rainbow vac but I have a Unicorn......o_O unicornfartingrainbows.jpg

Republicoftexas69

Reactions: twitch

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing