AF3P pump / power supply unit

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Please make sure your glass bottles and connectors are rated for pressure use - you don’t want an accident with glass flying around. In a chemistry lab, glass ware is often used under vacuum, but only specialized glassware under pressure, and only then with safety shields.
Thanks for the reminder.

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
using a ups will be the worst thing to do in terms of sound quality. every turntable has a drawback and this is the one for AF turntables.

If the pump has a separate power cord it would be easy to power just it from the UPS.

Even then, it's hard to say whether a UPS would have a sonic effect on a turntable since you are not actively powering circuitry within the audio path, just a pump, controller and motor; aside from possible interference, the audio path from stylus to your phono stage is normally completely unpowered. (strain gauge and optical cartridges excepted.)

Last edited:

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
In the linked thread above one reply in it stated,

The phrase, “unless it happens often and repeatedly” bothers me as our State Bird in FL is lightning. I think we will have to reconsider whether or not we get a TechDAS as our next TT.

I wouldn't be worried.

In all seriousness, after the first power hit you would likely end your listening session until later. I generally unplug my entire system at that point until power is back and stable as we all know when power is first restored is when power spikes are most likely.

I think what TechDAS is concerned about is when power flickers back on and back off several times in a row.

Reactions: mtemur

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Even then, it's hard to say whether a UPS would have a sonic effect on a turntable since you are not actively powering circuitry within the audio path, just a pump, controller and motor;
it’s nothing to do being on the audio path. even the power cord of turntable motor dramatically changes the sound as if you changed the power cord of the amplifier.
power supply and motor are seperated from the turntable and the only connection is belt driving the platter but anything you put under that power supply/motor or any power cord you use makes a huge impact on sound. and it’s not just AF turntables it’s for all turntables.

Reactions: dan31

TLi

May 27, 2016
I have this air reservoir fitted to the Bergmann to accumulate pressure and maintain / smooth out any fluctuations. Seems to work. May consider to adapt this to the AF3P. Do u think it will help in case of power failure ? At least to maintain some pressure while the platter slows.

Bottles bought by my friend from Taobao :p
Although not exactly related to the topic, it would be helpful for any Air Force user to know the effect of increasing the volume of air reserviors.

I have tried to add one litre lab bottles to my AF1P. The air pressures used in Air Force both in vacuum and float are fairly small. There is no worry that the pressure is too high to break the glass. It is perfectly safe.

My impression was increase the air volume would soften the sound. The difference is not small, very noticeable. So as the diameter of the tube, using a bigger tube will have the same effect as increasing the bottle volume. The designer, Hishikawa san, said he has tried different tubes and different air volume and the current setting the best he could find. So one can regard the system was tuned to the designer preference, but that doesn't stop users to, at least, try different volumes to see if the sound suits them more.

Air Force users should try this addition in their system. It is very safe, completely reversible, does not harm your turntable and it is cheap but is good fun. C11V5597.JPG

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Although not exactly related to the topic, it would be helpful for any Air Force user to know the effect of increasing the volume of air reserviors.

I have tried to add one litre lab bottles to my AF1P. The air pressures used in Air Force both in vacuum and float are fairly small. There is no worry that the pressure is too high to break the glass. It is perfectly safe.

My impression was increase the air volume would soften the sound. The difference is not small, very noticeable. So as the diameter of the tube, using a bigger tube will have the same effect as increasing the bottle volume. The designer, Hishikawa san, said he has tried different tubes and different air volume and the current setting the best he could find. So one can regard the system was tuned to the designer preference, but that doesn't stop users to, at least, try different volumes to see if the sound suits them more.

Air Force users should try this addition in their system. It is very safe, completely reversible, does not harm your turntable and it is cheap but is good fun. View attachment 90349
Gosh TLi. Your Techdas is in icu is my first thought seeing the pic.

joeling

Jan 8, 2014

Air Force users should try this addition in their system. It is very safe, completely reversible, does not harm your turntable and it is cheap but is good fun. View attachment 90349
Wow nice ! I want my AF3P to sound softer. This is great info !

Thanks TLi !

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing