Advice on music equipment purchase

james_B

Mar 28, 2022
Hello

Glad to have found your forum. I'm a budding amateur musician looking to buy some basic kit to achieve what I'm trying to do. I'm going to be going to practice rooms to play piano and sing. I want to record voice onto computer, and will want to hear myself sing through headphones. I'll also want to listen to a backing track whilst singing and recording voice. I'm not bothered about recording piano. I'll do that later from home via a digital piano.

I'm thinking what I need to do this is a simple two way USB external premix table with a microphone connection. These are about $50. I have Adobe Audition on a laptop. Will what I'm suggesting work? To feed my singing and backing track onto the laptop to record (record voice - no need to record backing track), at the same feeding the singing and backing track into my headphones or speakers? Is an external sound card better or a little 2 or 4 way USB mixing table?

Sorry if this seems like a basic question. I studied audio engineering as an undergrad but it's been a long time since I've done any of this. I don't want to waste money on equipment which won't do the job.

Thanks.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

Hi, James. Your request is a bit out of scope for me but perhaps I can help in a small way. Among other things it seems you're looking for a relatively straighforward efficient way to record yourself digitally so you can listen back later and perhaps use some software for mixing, etc.

For recording your signing, I'd like to suggest a small stereo condenser mic like the Shure MV88. I know nothing about recording mic's etc except that I purchased an MV88 a few years ago for capturing some in-room recordings and I've no real complaint, especially for its size. It also plugs straight into my iPhone which I place on a tri-pod.

If this interests you, I think there are some nice video examples on Shure's mv88 webpage that could give you a pretty good idea of the mic's capabilities / sound quality. I've also provided a demo here of what I use it for.

Anyway, hope this helps a bit.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing