Advice on connecting to Accuphase integrated amp

Dampdog

Apr 10, 2021
New here. Greetings!

Advice on the following would be much appreciated.

I’ve just upgraded from a Denon pma 1600ne to the accuphase e280 (with the optional Dac 50.)

I have mainly been streamAmazon hd music from a Denon DNP 800 into the Denon amp via optical, and have also plugged my tv into the Denon amp, also via optical.

The accuphase dac only has one optical input, a usb b input, and a coaxial. I’m thinking to continue using the Denon network player via optical, and buying an extra optical to coaxial converter for the tv.

Or, would it be best to connect the amp and network player via rca?

I’m not so clued up. Thanks!

Onepoint5

Sep 23, 2011
New here. Greetings!

Advice on the following would be much appreciated.

I’ve just upgraded from a Denon pma 1600ne to the accuphase e280 (with the optional Dac 50.)

I have mainly been streamAmazon hd music from a Denon DNP 800 into the Denon amp via optical, and have also plugged my tv into the Denon amp, also via optical.

The accuphase dac only has one optical input, a usb b input, and a coaxial. I’m thinking to continue using the Denon network player via optical, and buying an extra optical to coaxial converter for the tv.

Or, would it be best to connect the amp and network player via rca?

I’m not so clued up. Thanks!
The DAC50 takes the coax and optical or USB whichever is on first and switches that through.
This can get tricky with coax converter always being on.

Suggest to buy a 2nd hand DAC 20/30 for the additional optical input and switch between them on the 280 option 1 option 2.

The DAC50 has an excellent USB input DSD 256 capable, if you're into serious listening it's a good place to start.

Dampdog

Apr 10, 2021
Onepoint5,

Thanks so much. I didn’t realise I could put an additional DAC into the Option 2 slot. I thought it was for phono etc.

I live in Tokyo, and after a quick online search, older Accuphase DACs look readily available. I’ll go that route.

I may also look into DSD for a few favourite artists. Right now, I’m totally blown away by the quality from Amazon Music via USB at 32 bit output. It’s an unbelievable step up from my previous amp. Bravo Accuphase.

Appreciate your kind help.

Onepoint5

Sep 23, 2011
Yes the 2nd slot can be for phono, 4 rca inputs or another DAC. I have two Dacs in my E-450.
The suggestion for an older unit is the optical stays much the same at 96 but the USB changed a lot. The plugin boards are as reliable as the amps, last a long time.

Dampdog

Apr 10, 2021
Great to hear, thank you. Higher-end audio is pretty new to me, so your advice is really appreciated. The sound of my entry-level Accuphase leads me to believe your E-450 must sound incredible.

Onepoint5

Sep 23, 2011
Each Accuphase has its own character in some way that it's difficult to switch to another brand and be satisfied with that.
I still own an E-205 from 1988, works to this day, the E-450 from 2010, use it everyday. Enjoy the E-280 it will most likely stay a long time too.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing