Advice Needed for Choosing a Verizon Smartphone

Matt193

Mar 21, 2011
Wisconsin
I've been thinking about getting a smartphone for a few years but the plan costs have been deterring me from making the switch. Enter a new promotion from Verizon offering a $60 plan to get people still running a feature phone to switch over to a smart phone. Great! But what phone to buy?

I've visited two different Verizon stores asking for advice for someone like me who is reasonably tech savvy but knows basically nothing about smartphones. Neither store has been much help other than, "Most of them work pretty much the same. Just choose the one you like that's in your price range and we can go from there." :mad: That's not much help.

I've been using a Motorola V9m/Razr 2 flip phone since they were first released. This rugged and thin flip phone has been an excellent work horse for me and has fit my needs perfectly. What I'm looking for is basically the smart phone version of this. My list of requirements is pretty basic but the one that is non-negotiable is that it has to have great reception. I live in a very rural area and I frequently travel to very remote locations where I need to be able to make calls if needed. My V9m has rarely ever let me down in this regard.

Great reception aside, my list of requirements are as follows:

- Decent battery life. I must be able to make it all day; 14 hours without having to charge would be awesome. I need to have a 12 hour minimum.
- Needs to fit in the pockets of my jeans without being uncomfortable. I don't wear skinny jeans. :D
- Needs to be reasonably rugged. I don't drop my phone often but it could be exposed to indirect moisture since I work in wet environments and in all weather conditions.
- I have giant hands, so a screen that is easy to type with sausage fingers is a big plus.
- It has to be a current phone that Verizon offers either online or though their retail stores.

I don't text often, and honestly I don't talk very often but when I do it can be for 30 minutes or (much) more. I really want a smart phone so I can occasionally check my email, get directions, check the weather, or use it to surf the web on the go. I would classify myself as a light user.

The phones that have piqued my interest so far are (in no particular order): iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy S4, Motorola Razr HD, and the Razr HD Maxx.

I like the iPhone mostly due to the small size of it. It seems the least intrusive in my pocket and the screen reacts well to my fingers. I also have a coupon for $100 off any size iPhone 5. I don't like how restrictive it seems to be compared to a Android device. Battery life seems like it will work and call reception seems to be ok. I don't like the lack of user serviceable battery or expandable memory, but I think a 32GB model should suffice.

The GS4 is awesome for my giant hands and I hardly ever mistype on it's gorgeous screen. On the other hand, I'm not sure I could stand having such a large device in my pocket all day. Battery life could be iffy and from my research, it's unclear how strong the radio is in this phone. People either say it's on par with Moto devices or it stinks like the GS3. I'm also not sure how durable it is.

The Motorola Razr HD and Maxx HD are interesting because they have what appear to be excellent radio capabilities and the Maxx has great battery life. They also are splash resistant and while a large device, aren't quite as large as the GS4. The downside to them is that their performance seemed lack luster on the well screen burned floor models I tried and the overall feel of them just wasn't great to me. Add to it that they have some software glitches, have a non user replaceable battery, and that they are getting "old" in phone standards, has me thinking twice.

Other than these four phones, are there other models that will fit my needs that I've missed? I don't necessarily need the latest and the greatest, but I tend to hold on to things for the long haul. I'm not a favor of the day type of person. I am rather unimpressed with Verizon's current phone lineup.

Sorry for such a long post, but I want to make sure you guys have enough information to give me a good suggestion. I have until the 30th to make my decision so no, I can't wait for the HTC One X or the new Motorola devices that are due out very soon. I also don't want this to turn into a Apple vs Android argument but being that I basically know nothing about either one, I would appreciate some input.

Matt193

Mar 21, 2011
Wisconsin
As I said before, I really don't want this to get out of hand and into a "my dog is better than your dog" fight.

If I may Steve, let me ask you this: Judging by the other threads I have read, your a big Apple product fan. Have you ever owned or used an Android device? If so, what about it do you LIKE more than your Apple devices? What do you dislike and wish you could change about your Apple devices? How is the reception on your iPhone? Do you ever have call dropping issues?

These questions are open to anyone who feels that they could help me decide which way to go. It would be great if I could go and pick up something early this week.

After mulling it over this morning, I am at a 60/40 split with Apple being at a slight advantage due to size and support longevity.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi Matt

No I have never owned an Android phone and contrary to what everything KeithW says bad about Apple and the iphone I remain a happy and contented user. I have no desire to have a Galaxy S4 that is as large as a minipad sitting in my pocket to make phone calls as well as having a case made of cheap plastic. I have owned the first iphone then a 3S and now a 4S. Presently I have no desire to upgrade until I see the next generation iphone which should have a larger screen display. Short of this I don't get my panties in a wad like Keith does about the icons on the new ios7. For me and most other iphone users here I just have no desire whatsoever to switch to Android.

I used to have calls dropped using ATT as my carrier when I lived in Northern California but still with ATT now in SoCal and I have no dropped calls. There are web sites that you can find that will tell you if there are areas in and around where you live where calls are frequently dropped

Long and the short of it Matt, I am an iphone guy and proud of it

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Please predict, I'm interested in replacing my iPhone 4s with something better (I'm partly looking for larger screen so iPhone 5 doesn't cut it) so would love to know.

Steve Williams

Please predict, I'm interested in replacing my iPhone 4s with something better (I'm partly looking for larger screen so iPhone 5 doesn't cut it) so would love to know.

well as I said in my first post I predict this will degenerate between iPhone vs Android.

Floyd either you buy something other than an iphone if you want that larger screen or wait until the next generation iphone which is rumored to have a larger screen

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Double post,

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I'm a Verizon customer and happy iphone user. I do wish it would do Adobe flash however. It amazes me how may sites there are out there with flash sites only, blocking out potentially millions of apple users.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

Steve Williams

I'm a Verizon customer and happy iphone user. I do wish it would do Adobe flash however. It amazes me how may sites there are out there with flash sites only, blocking out potentially millions of apple users.

I can hear Steve Jobs crying out from his grave that it ain't ever going to happen

Steve Williams

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
At my workplace (a tech company) many, many staff (marketing, engineering, etc.) have switched from Apple to Android citing better phone performance (better audio, fewer dropped calls, longer battery life, etc.) We are looking at them (my wife really wants one) but like others the cost of the data plan would roughly double our wireless phone cost, already high. We keep a land line for reliability and safety (cell towers went out in the recent fire, and/or got overwhelmed so it was impossible to make a wireless call). The cost of phone, TV, and Internet service now is staggering compared to a few years ago (about $400/mo combined for me). The costs keep going up way faster than inflation (or my paycheck). Everybody has also complained about battery life; the newer phones only last a day if that for many folk. Part of the problem is our building; calls have trouble getting through in much of the building (especially the labs) and when that happens the phones go into max power mode to try to link and down goes battery life.

In any event, based on a large base of user feedback from people who have or have had both and use them constantly, my next one will be Android, probably a Samsung Galaxy something-or-other.

Matt193

Mar 21, 2011
Wisconsin
I ended up picking up a Samsung Galaxy S4 today. After weighing all the pros and cons, it basically came down to it and the iPhone and I just liked the S4 a little better. So far the size of it is not obnoxious in my pocket but time will tell. I will say that the radio portion of it is very good; every bit as strong as my Motorola V9m.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Matt193

Mar 21, 2011
Wisconsin
Both very good from what I can tell so far. I have yet to put it to any real test though. I will say that it definitely destroys my aging digital camera when it comes to low light shots.

Having a decent camera at my disposal would have been great on Friday. I was working on a motor of a boat on a small lake when I heard a big splash out in the water. I looked up to see where the fish jumped but to my surprise it was a doe and a fawn that swam all the way across the lake and were about 60 feet away from me. When they saw me look up they headed all the way back across the lake and once on shore, tiredly sauntered back into the woods. I could have taken a few very nice shots of the baby trying to keep up and climb on mom's back as they swam. It was really neat. :b

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I *almost* bought an S4 today, but was trying to decide between it and the Samsung Note 2. The latter has a bigger screen which is easier on my eyes, but of course that means the pocket real estate required is larger and the S4 seems pretty slick... Store closed before I could make a decision... :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing