Accuphase and Krell

Trentero

Oct 18, 2019
I have the opportunity to make a snap decision between an Accuphase e-380 and a Krell k-300i. I haven't heard either but have read enough to understand that they are quite different animals. If price were equal, which would be considered the superior machine? And yes I know that that is a ridiculously subjective proposition. But which integrated might be considered to be generally more *musical*?

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I have the opportunity to make a snap decision between an Accuphase e-380 and a Krell k-300i. I haven't heard either but have read enough to understand that they are quite different animals. If price were equal, which would be considered the superior machine? And yes I know that that is a ridiculously subjective proposition. But which integrated might be considered to be generally more *musical*?
If you want musicality, then definitely Accuphase E-380. It's both more musical, and a nicer amplifier in general in my opinion :)

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
I had the KRELL K-300i and loved it. It was a great single box solution. The DAC is OK but if you value a single box solution then the DAC is good enough. The sound is uber smooth and so relaxing. Not too much though, my other gear is Benchmark LA4 preamp and AHB2 monos so I am not a tube guy.

I sold the KRELL K-300i to buy a KRELL Duo 175XD stereo amo and that was even better with my CODA 07x preamp and Benchmark LA4 preamp. I am now using the 175XD as headphone amp since I am using AHB2 monos in my speakers. However, once I buy some KEF Blade 2 Meta for my Livingroom I am going to get the new KRELL KSA i400 as the amp to drive it. I have not heard it but I already know it will be great with the KEF. I do not plan on trading in the 175XD either. The new KRELL XD gear is great to my ears.

I sold my CODA 07x preamp last week and will buy a second Benchmark LA4 preamp to go with the upcoming KRELL KSA i400.

I have not heard the Accuphase, but I hope my enthusiasm for the KRELL gives you some insight.

BTW - I have heard Luxman and wanted to get the m900u amp, but the 175XD made me change course on that. The m900u is warmer than the KRELL XD lineup.

Reactions: Bulldogger

Trentero

Oct 18, 2019
Thanks, yyzSB. Curious, which headphones are you using with the 175XD? Because lately I've been thinking that if I go with the K-300i, I might try to pair it with a speaker-amp headphone such as the RAAL SR1a.

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
Thanks, yyzSB. Curious, which headphones are you using with the 175XD? Because lately I've been thinking that if I go with the K-300i, I might try to pair it with a speaker-amp headphone such as the RAAL SR1a.
The K-300i is excellent with the SR1a. I have the SR1a and the CA-1a headphones. The K-300i was so good with the SR1a that I bought the 175XD as an upgrade for the SR1a. I bought the K-300i specifically for the SR1a but I liked it also on my 2 channel gear. At that time a Thiel CS3.7 and a KEF LS50.

If you really want to compete against $100K systems with the SR1a or even the CA-1a (no BS) the RAAL VM-1a headphone amp is unsurpassed. There is no amp interface box needed for the VM-1a so no 2-channel amp can compete against it. The best rendition of WHEN THE LEVEE BREAKS was on the VM-1a | CA-1a | DAC3B. It is more of a headphone sound than the SR1a but not too bad. I am not a traditional headphone guy at all.

One thing I found with the VM-1a amp is that I prefer a brighter DAC with that amp. Danny at Requisite also agreed with me on this. We both like the Benchmark DAC3B with the VM-1a. Though he is trying others. If you are Southern Cal you can listen at Danny's shop in Ventura.

BTW - If you go to Head-Fi site for the SR1a you will see a ton of my posts about how great the K-300i is with the SR1a.

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
Might I make a recommendation of the Norma IPA-140B. I’ll start by ensuring you know I am the US distributor.

The 140B is a destination piece for many of my clients as they don’t have WBF money to throw. The thing is, it delivers hugely and does things you just don’t hear in these price ranges. It’s also probably the cheapest option at $8000 USD.

if you compare the build quality inside, you’ll start to understand why. Dual toroidal, dual mono design. Completely shielded transformers. Dual layer design.

In the past two months we have replaced a BAT VK3500 and a McIntosh C50/MC601 in two different speakers. The differences were so staggering it was honestly a little surprising even though I know how good the unit is. Currently, I have over a dozen clients openly talking about this unit as their next immediate upgrade. I even have two CH Precision dealers who consider this their only option below CH.

If you have a little time, I’d suggest looking up reviews out there on this unit. It’s respected globally but tends to fly under the radar. I’m hoping to change that and we already have things in the works to make it happen.

Minatophase3

Aug 20, 2022
Seattle area
I have knot heard the Krell but do have the Accuphase e-380 and it is incredible. If you are looking for a musical integrated I would highly recommend the Accuphase.

Trentero

Oct 18, 2019
The K-300i is excellent with the SR1a. I have the SR1a and the CA-1a headphones. The K-300i was so good with the SR1a that I bought the 175XD as an upgrade for the SR1a. I bought the K-300i specifically for the SR1a but I liked it also on my 2 channel gear. At that time a Thiel CS3.7 and a KEF LS50.

If you really want to compete against $100K systems with the SR1a or even the CA-1a (no BS) the RAAL VM-1a headphone amp is unsurpassed. There is no amp interface box needed for the VM-1a so no 2-channel amp can compete against it. The best rendition of WHEN THE LEVEE BREAKS was on the VM-1a | CA-1a | DAC3B. It is more of a headphone sound than the SR1a but not too bad. I am not a traditional headphone guy at all.

One thing I found with the VM-1a amp is that I prefer a brighter DAC with that amp. Danny at Requisite also agreed with me on this. We both like the Benchmark DAC3B with the VM-1a. Though he is trying others. If you are Southern Cal you can listen at Danny's shop in Ventura.

BTW - If you go to Head-Fi site for the SR1a you will see a ton of my posts about how great the K-300i is with the SR1a.
Wow, what a coincidence. I assume you like the VM-1a pairing better than the Krell pairing? It looks like the ultimate package.

Trentero

Oct 18, 2019
Might I make a recommendation of the Norma IPA-140B. I’ll start by ensuring you know I am the US distributor.

The 140B is a destination piece for many of my clients as they don’t have WBF money to throw. The thing is, it delivers hugely and does things you just don’t hear in these price ranges. It’s also probably the cheapest option at $8000 USD.

if you compare the build quality inside, you’ll start to understand why. Dual toroidal, dual mono design. Completely shielded transformers. Dual layer design.

In the past two months we have replaced a BAT VK3500 and a McIntosh C50/MC601 in two different speakers. The differences were so staggering it was honestly a little surprising even though I know how good the unit is. Currently, I have over a dozen clients openly talking about this unit as their next immediate upgrade. I even have two CH Precision dealers who consider this their only option below CH.

If you have a little time, I’d suggest looking up reviews out there on this unit. It’s respected globally but tends to fly under the radar. I’m hoping to change that and we already have things in the works to make it happen.
Thanks. I'll have to read up on it. Not familiar with Italian engineering but I once owned a pair of Opera Callas monitors that I liked a lot.

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
Wow, what a coincidence. I assume you like the VM-1a pairing better than the Krell pairing? It looks like the ultimate package.
The VM-1a and the CA-1a and SR1a are so amazing that I think they compete with $100K system (no physical room acoustics to deal with). There is no amp interface box needed to hook up the SR1a or CA-1a so you gain a tremendous advantage. I spent a lot of money and time making my SR1a sound great. Here are some of the final results.

Benchmark DAC3B | RAAL VM-1a | RAAL CA-1a + SR1a = a Spinal Tap 11/10. I cannot praise it enough. I had to move it out of my office system because I cannot work with this system. It is way too distracting. Things that should have taken me 30 minutes to do ended up taking 3 hours. So I moved the system to my second office/bedroom.

CODA 07x preamp | Musetec 005 DAC | KRELL Dou 175XD amp | RAAL SR1a + amp interface box = 8.5/10. I used to say this was a 9/10 but I downgraded it because there needs to be more separation with the VM-1a. I use this in my office which also has KEF LS50 Meta and Benchmark AHB2 mono amps. I sold the CODA 07x preamp 3 days ago and will be using the Benchmark LA4 preamp. The CODA 07x preamp is smoother and a bit better on the SR1a but I like the LA4 more on the KEF LS50 and it it still excellent on the SR1a. I can get work done with this system (late at night).

KRELL K-300i integrated | RAAL SR1a + amp interface box = 7.5/10. I used the internal DAC on the K-300i. An external DAC can boost this sound a bit more. On speakers this integrated amp is great.

RAAL HSA-1b headphone amp | RAAL SR1a | Benchmark DAC3B (did not have the Musetec 005 DAC then) = 7.5/10

Schitt Jotenhuim | SR1a + CA-1a | Topping D90LE DAC = 6/10
. It is still enjoyable even though it is my worst setup.

The SR1a and CA-1a are not easy to get right with 2-channel gear. I had about 10 amps, 4 preamps, and 4 DACs on it. The very best combo is what I listed above. If you decide to use 2-channel gear then use something with a bit a warmth to tame the RAAL ribbon. For, example I could only make the Benchmark AHB2 monos work with them using the Schitt Freya+ tube preamp and Musetec 005 DAC (also slightly warm and smooth).

The 2 easiest ways to get great sound from the SR1a is the KRELL K-300i integrated and of course the RAAL VM-1a amp (with a bright DAC).

I hope this helps someone and piques their curiosity as to what the heck I am talking about. Stereophile will be getting the RAAL gear I have for a future review. I am now friends with Danny at RAAL so I am clued into some of their happenings.

Reactions: Bso

Trentero

Oct 18, 2019
Amazing. One reason I like the Accuphase is that it's a one-box solution for my speakers and headphones, but if I am thinking about SR1's anyway, then maybe it makes sense to keep it a separate system. I love the looks of the VM. Does it use a 6sl7 or 6sn7?

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
Amazing. One reason I like the Accuphase is that it's a one-box solution for my speakers and headphones, but if I am thinking about SR1's anyway, then maybe it makes sense to keep it a separate system. I love the looks of the VM. Does it use a 6sl7 or 6sn7?
A separate system with the VM-1a is the best way to go with the SR1a and the surprisingly amazing CA-1a. Here is the manual for the VM-1a.
VM-1a Variable Mode Vacuum Tube Ribbon Headphone Amplifier • RAAL-requisite (raalrequisite.com)

The VM-1a is my best system and I am expecting my future KEF Blade 2 Meta to be as good or better. The VM-1a is incredible. I am also not a tube guy but whatever these guys did it really works.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I listened to it at CanJam in London. It uses one 6SL7 and six EL34. Stunning setup. Most definitely a contender for the best headphone system in the world. For a flagship, reasonably priced too.

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
I listened to it at CanJam in London. It uses one 6SL7 and six EL34. Stunning setup. Most definitely a contender for the best headphone system in the world. For a flagship, reasonably priced too.
RAAL Danny's streaming setup used at that London show was not the best. An iPad to RME DAC.

A fibre optical network to the DAC is better. They had that fibre setup to RME DAC in the 2021 Los Angeles CanJam show. This months 2022 Los Angeles CanJam is back to the iPad.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
RAAL Danny's streaming setup used at that London show was not the best. An iPad to RME DAC.

A fibre optical network to the DAC is better. They had that fibre setup to RME DAC in the 2021 Los Angeles CanJam show. This months 2022 Los Angeles CanJam is back to the iPad.
I'm sorry, I don't think I follow. RME DAC doesn't have a network input. Can you explain please what exactly was the setup that you have mentioned?

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
There is a cable that would connect the iPad to the USB input of the DAC. It is not the ideal way to stream but it was deemed adequate for the show.

The previous show in Los Angeles (2021) used Sonore OpticalRendu, but that was more involved to setup.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
There is a cable that would connect the iPad to the USB input of the DAC. It is not the ideal way to stream but it was deemed adequate for the show.

The previous show in Los Angeles (2021) used Sonore OpticalRendu, but that was more involved to setup.
I was asking about the Sonore OpticalRendu, thank you :)
This year CanJam was relatively small. I wonder why that was the case. Maybe there is a reason for a simpler setup at Raal's table.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing