Abbas dac 2.1 se

@trinley
Are going to use a computer or dedicated streamer/music server paired with your 3.2 Signature?
Charles
As a streamer/server combo I use in combination with LMS the Allo Usbridge Signature as streamer (RoPieeeXL) and Intel NUC with Audio Linux as server. The Allo with Plixir LPS has beaten the Antipodes K30. Allo/Plixir in combination with DI-20HE is on par with K50, but via I²S HDMI. I have not yet tried the SPDIF connection. I will borrow a high quality SPDIF cable next week and try the DI-20HE on the KTE.

Reactions: charles1dad
@Samsoum
Thank you for providing that link. I did not know that there is such a variety of 6080 (6AS7) options. Their pricing (For me) is very reasonable.

All relative I recognize, but I’ve been dealing in the world of 300b and 101D tubes that are considerably more expensive for the upper tier choices.

Abbas really likes the 6080 (Big tube characteristics and presentation) for analog stage output duties. I completely trust his reasoning and wisdom in this realm. I’ll just gladly reap and enjoy the benefits of his hard earned knowledge as expressed through the 3.2SE.
Charles

As a streamer/server combo I use in combination with LMS the Allo Usbridge Signature as streamer (RoPieeeXL) and Intel NUC with Audio Linux as server. The Allo with Plixir LPS has beaten the Antipodes K30. Allo/Plixir in combination with DI-20HE is on par with K50, but via I²S HDMI. I have not yet tried the SPDIF connection. I will borrow a high quality SPDIF cable next week and try the DI-20HE on the KTE.
@trinley
High praise indeed if on par with the Antipodes K50. I suspect that your results will be splendid via SPDIF coax.
Charles

Reactions: trinley
Using a computer with Abbas just seems wrong. Streaming is for Netflix.
I derive immense pleasure listening to spinning Redbook CD. However I know that streaming is very popular and this will continue to increase. It’s definitely here to stay.

I haven’t yet joined the ranks but I know that many listeners are very happy with their streaming experience.
Charles

Reactions: Artnet and trinley
All very interesting.

I listened to the videos but i struggled to catch any significant and consistent differences.

Video comparisons are difficult and at most give impressions. So im not putting too much weight on it.

Anyways, you use very modern recordings. Hifi show stuff. I think potential difference will stand out more with analog era material, ie early 1980s and before. AAD. The tda1541 will shine more with it.

Also, these dacs deserve the best so try a cd player as source. For example an early philips transport.

For usb-spdif duties consider abbas.

The same for digital cables.

Just my 2c.
I had considered the Abbas USB Converter.

Abbas said the following about the USB Converter:

The USB converter works not bad, but I will sell out soon and won't be offering it anymore, because the company no longer provides updates for this chip, it is out of production.
When the TDA1541 is taken out of production, it is not terrible, but unfortunately the usb processors only work in combination with a computer, so many converters after a few years turn into a piece of metal, useless.

Abbas comment about his USB converter was "it worked not bad".
This has left me a little unsure, so I have discarded the intention to use the Abbas converter. My DI-20HE with the current firmware brings a great improvement and has reduced the digital signature more than any DDC I have tried before.

To achieve the functions of DI-20HE through Abbas devices, I would need to use the Abbas Clock and USB Converter, correct?

In this case, it's one tube too many for me. More tubes means it's even more difficult to detect when a tube isn't ok.

DI-20HE already uses a very good clock. I have the Audio GD coupled with Mutec REF10 and Terminator. This brought only a marginal improvement to "more analog" sound.

Using a computer with Abbas just seems wrong. Streaming is for Netflix.
I played all my music via SSD until a few months ago. Streaming services have never been my thing. I have to own the music. If the internet goes down, I can't listen music, that's also a reason why I refused streaming for a long time.

Since I switched to a fiber connection and use the PhoenixNet switch, streaming sounds as good as from the hard drive, if it' s the same recording.

I had considered the Abbas USB Converter.

Abbas said the following about the USB Converter:

The USB converter works not bad, but I will sell out soon and won't be offering it anymore, because the company no longer provides updates for this chip, it is out of production.
When the TDA1541 is taken out of production, it is not terrible, but unfortunately the usb processors only work in combination with a computer, so many converters after a few years turn into a piece of metal, useless.

Abbas comment about his USB converter was "it worked not bad".
This has left me a little unsure, so I have discarded the intention to use the Abbas converter. My DI-20HE with the current firmware brings a great improvement and has reduced the digital signature more than any DDC I have tried before.

To achieve the functions of DI-20HE through Abbas devices, I would need to use the Abbas Clock and USB Converter, correct?

In this case, it's one tube too many for me. More tubes means it's even more difficult to detect when a tube isn't ok.

DI-20HE already uses a very good clock. I have the Audio GD coupled with Mutec REF10 and Terminator. This brought only a marginal improvement to "more analog" sound.
I will say there is a quirk with my converter where I have to unplug and then replug the USB cable before it will recognize Bubblupnp and start playing music. I sure hope it lasts a long time!

@trinley
“Abbas comment about his USB converter was "it worked not bad".
This has left me a little unsure, so I have discarded the intention to use the Abbas converter. My DI-20HE with the current firmware brings a great improvement and has reduced the digital signature more than any DDC I have tried before.”

My impression of Abbas via numerous communications is he tends to be understated. Definitely not given to hyperbole.

He would not even bother building a product/device if he did not think it met his standard of sound quality. People who use his converter seem very happy with them. But you are quite satisfied with what you have and I understand that.
Charles

@trinley
“Abbas comment about his USB converter was "it worked not bad".
This has left me a little unsure, so I have discarded the intention to use the Abbas converter. My DI-20HE with the current firmware brings a great improvement and has reduced the digital signature more than any DDC I have tried before.”

My impression of Abbas via numerous communications is he tends to be understated. Definitely not given to hyperbole.

He would not even bother building a product/device if he did not think it met his standard of sound quality. People who use his converter seem very happy with them. But you are quite satisfied with what you have and I understand that.
Charles
I'll ask Abbas to send me the USB converter along with the DAC. I think at $630 the financial loss would not be great if it doesn't sound as good. Thanks for the appeal to reason.

I'll ask Abbas to send me the USB converter along with the DAC. I think at $630 the financial loss would not be great if it doesn't sound as good. Thanks for the appeal to reason.
Oh, they have gone up in price. I bought mine used ( I think the previous owner turned it on once) with both the Abbas USB and spdif cables for $350. I thought retail on them used to be $450.

I prefer it to my Audiophileo 2 with Pure Power for the Abbas DAC.

Reactions: jespera and trinley
@jespera and @Samsoum
Do either of you have any thoughts or preferences with regard to tube rolling the 6080 (6AS7) output tubes? Also any notable differences with various rectifier tubes?
Charles

My 3.2se came with general electric 6080 tubes. I havent done any tube rolling on it.

At some point i did try a few 5687 in my 2.1se. A tung sol stayed. I also put one in my 4.1se.

Last edited:
@trinley
High praise indeed if on par with the Antipodes K50. I suspect that your results will be splendid via SPDIF coax.
Charles
Allo devices are visually the ugliest I have ever owned. But they are playing much higher than they cost. The Allo Shanti power supply on the Allo Streamer plays on par with the popular LPS in Europe, like: Keces P8, Farad and Ferrum Hypsos. It costs €169, the others named €700-1200.
After reading the LPS review from Bacon Audio, where the Plixir LPS from Singapore got a very high rating, I ordered it. The Plixir LPS has increased the Allo Streamer by several sound levels. Previously with the Ferrum Hypsos, the sound was almost at the level of Zenith MK3 and Antipodes EX (without CX). The Allo beat the K30 with the Plixir. The K30 had slightly better highs, but the mids were significantly muffled and the bass was not so tight.
The K50 had the same signature like the K30. The highs were slightly better than the Allo/Plixir/DI-20HE, the mids were better than on the K30, but not quite as good as the Allo combo. All in all, the Allo combo was more balanced and neutral than the K50 on my setup.

A complement! The Plixir LPS has significantly increased the dynamics. That make all Plixir devices, told me a friend. He has a Plixir power conditioner, which has also greatly increased the dynamics in his system.

Last edited:
Reactions: charles1dad
My 3.2se came with general electric 6080 tubes. I havent done any tube rolling on it.

At some point i did try a few 5687 in my 2.1se. A tung sol stayed. I also put one in my 4.1se.
@jespera
That makes sense. That tube wouldn’t have been placed in the DAC if it didn’t sound good. Abbas has encouraged me to try different tubes.

He says each one has its own distinct sound and one may be preferable to another in a given audio system/or listener’s ears.

He added this is particularly true with the 5Y3 and 5V4 rectifier tubes that will be in my 3.2SE. He said differences are quite noticeable amongst the various choices.
Charles

@Samsoum
Thanks very much for taking the time to share the comparative listening experiences of you and your friend. Not everyone wants to or is comfortable doing this on a forum thread.

For example, @jespera has a friend who purchased the 3.2SE to replace his LampiZator B7 MK II. I’m interested in his comparisons and thoughts. It seems however that he has chosen not to post publicly, which is obviously his choice.

It is highly impressive that your 3.1SE acquitted itself so well against the Uber Aries Cerat Kassandra Reference II. Particularly so when Abbas has very openly said the 3.2SE is a clear advancement/improvement of the earlier 3.1SE.
One could make the case for the 3.2SE (Probably all Abbas DACs) being an extraordinary value proposition. A true upper tier DAC sound quality for obtainable (For many) cost.

Thanks again. This forum is a wonderful vehicle for sharing thoughts and bringing exposure to exceptionally worthy audio products.If not for WBF, I’d have no idea or awareness of Abbas and his “devices”.
Charles
All very interesting.

I listened to the videos but i struggled to catch any significant and consistent differences.

Video comparisons are difficult and at most give impressions. So im not putting too much weight on it.

Anyways, you use very modern recordings. Hifi show stuff. I think potential difference will stand out more with analog era material, ie early 1980s and before. AAD. The tda1541 will shine more with it.

Also, these dacs deserve the best so try a cd player as source. For example an early philips transport.

Just my 2c.
Check the latest video! The difference is obvious! Please use headphones or car system!

I have raspberry pi4 + allo streamer with it s own switch power supply,i tried su1 , topping d100 s as converters, su6 is here since 3 weeks may be, blew away the 2 others.
My current server/streamer is the one discussed in audiophyle style.
Based on jcat xe /net card femto , taiko atx- dc.
Power supply for taiko atx is the unregulated soul analogue and for jvat xe the hypsos.
Network is optimised with router , etheregen nas io fidata , clock bg7 tbl , all on ps.
Using euphony as player.
This streamer blew away rockna network, dcs bridge, and many others in my system.
Fyi:The su1 , raspberry pi4, one spare bg7 clocks are all for sale.

All very interesting.

Just my 2c.
Agree. Therefore i'll place my Pioneer PD-93 as source and ordered Abbas SPDIF cable with my 3.2SE. Will do some tests with modified Lumin Mini U2 (Ferrum Hypsos power supply) as transport as well...

Reactions: jespera
Agree. Therefore i'll place my Pioneer PD-93 as source and ordered Abbas SPDIF cable with my 3.2SE. Will do some tests with modified Lumin Mini U2 (Ferrum Hypsos power supply) as transport as well...
I’m looking forward to your listening comparisons between these two different digital sources. I’ll be using the terrific Pro-Ject RS2T CD transport with the 3.2SE.
Charles

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing