Abbas dac 2.1 se

Artnet

Mar 7, 2021
Melbourne, Australia.
Haven't communicated since 16 Oct. Imagine the power outages are limiting communications. I hope all is well otherwise.

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.

Artnet

Mar 7, 2021
Melbourne, Australia.
must be watching us.

Best to get a T shirt from Jespera quick then :)

Have been messaging Jurij about tubes for 3.2 , and discussing the sig a little. In the process have collected a few 6X5,s and variants for my 4.1SE.
My favorite has been a GEC, for being well rounded but found a Mullard EZ35 enjoyable with well defined base, open and a little brighter in the top end. Also a Bendix 5852 which got off to a spaky start , gave it a tap and has settled down. It sounds promising and am hoping its a keeper and will allow me to put the lid back on without the socket saver mind you. Needs some hours on it first.

Cables yes, looking forward to a power cable, interesting selection hope you enjoy

Attachments

• 20221109_104536.jpg
    20221109_104536.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
Russia Announces Retreat from Regional Capital of Kherson

Good news for Abbas and his fellow countrymen.
Charles

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
It is very encouraging to see that Abbas has posted a new article on his website just in the last few days. He is discussing his latest Signature phono stage RIAA model.

He is very happy and proud of its sound quality. Terrific that he’s able to maintain his passion and persevere in a war torn environment.
Charles

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
Beautiful Article indeed and a nice looking build! He does sound happy with it indeed.

Makes you want to stay in Vinyl. :)

Its a great phono stage.

As im writing this im enjoying barry white through the weird and wonderful ortofon sl15 cartridge and the abbas phonostage.

I’ll ask abbas to make an sut for it.

Artnet

Mar 7, 2021
Melbourne, Australia.
ortofon sl15 cartridge
That sounded interesting (different thread) and a whole lot less than a Royal N that I would like to try. TT's due surgery to permanently allow a 2nd arm to play with. Next year after Digital expenses maybe?
Keen to hear how you get on with a SUT, a Ukrainian Monster Can maybe? I would be interested but most likely will make it specifically for his phono pre. I wont rule that out either :)

It is such a descriptive article, thankyou @charles1dad for pointing it out just what I needed to read ATM. Abbas's glee describing the EL84 is very engaging.
Meaningfully and with warning his description of the sound can only prepare you. Just wish I could listen to one.

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
A snippet of Abbas describing his latest phono stage sonic/music presentation“.

Here it’s the other way around. A riot of colors, mood contrasts and unexpected twists. A violin playing a cantilena will amaze with its tenderness and ability to sing, while aggressive rock will impress with strength and energy. The tone will be wide and powerful, and trebles are natural, without ringing and ostentatious brilliance.
You will hear the voice of another era, the golden period of valve technology”

@jespera
Since you own both his phone stage and DACs, is this admirable (Expressive) description equally applicable to both product types?
Charles

Reactions: Artnet

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
I had the very expensive spu century in the house. Didnt like it at all. Much prefered my classic mk ii conical. Gave me the impression that sticking sharp needles on an spu is a mistake.

Just one datapoint. But if you get the chance, maybe try the royal in comparison with the classic.

Anyways, the sl15ell is a great cartridge. Not only for the 800dkk that i paid for it. In an absolute sense too. Makes me think that some of the vintage spu’s from the 60s could be phenomenal.

I’ll open an abbas phono thread so we can discuss vinyl things:

Last edited:
Reactions: Artnet

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
I heard from Abbas a few days ago. He informed me that he will have my 3.2SE DAC build sometime next month. Good news and sooner than I had anticipated. I am really looking forward to how this multi tube "device" interacts with my DHT (101D) Line stage and 300b SET mono blocks.
Charles

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
@jespera
Hi,
What brand of 6080 came with your 3.2SE? Are you still using them or have you gone on to something else? Simple curiously. Abbas encourages trying different tubes and I just wondered if you had bothered. There's a side of me that wants to leave things alone. I have done my share of rolling tubes with other components.
Charles

Last edited:

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
I posted this over on HIFI haven, but wanted to post it here too.

This is an Abbas 2.0 kit that I need to get in a box and add power and I will be up an running.

Pretty excited to hear the TDA1541.
Congratulations!!
I’m looking forward to your listening impressions.
Charles

Reactions: limberpine

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing