A Step Towards Making My Home More Energy Efficient-The Nest

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I would be concerned about power outages, surges and the like. If the personal schedules of everyone at home varies randomly day to day, like mine does, it seems unlikely that a "learning" thermostat would help me.

If your bill went down more than the norm for given outdoor temperatures are concerned, then the only thing that matters is whether the cash flow for the expense of the system easily balances out the savings.

I would be less likely to change if the system took a long time to break even with the savings it created. It's kind of like when a home owner plants a tree. The person who really benefits from it is the NEXT home owner. I feel it is that way with a lot of home improvements also.

bedman

Apr 25, 2016
I have a programmed thermostat that turns the heat down to 59 F during the night and during daytime when I am not there. (We live in hills in Central Coastal CA, so this isn't extreme), so it only comes on for an hour in the morning and a few hours in the evening. The dog sleeps and spends a lot of time directly underneath it, so this could complicate motion detection. Would we benefit in any way from having this? I suspect the answer is no, but wonder if I am overlooking something. I do like the idea.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing