A day with Mani and his Tune Audio Animas horns

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Lol yes... definitely music and espresso before, music and wine after... like a good day at work.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Graham, it was really refreshing for me to have my previous opinions well and truly trashed today. However Mani has put his finger on things, in that he feels he has eeked out optimal performance thru stringent choice on dac and server, synergistic amps, and a fantastic take no prisoners attitude to power. He's also helped by a room, which on the surface looks too small for the Animas, and is not far off square, that just shines w minimal attention to acoustics.

manisandher

Feb 7, 2011
www.the2ndtier.com
Reactions: bonzo75

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I would never swap my Zus out for the Animas, my spkrs are just so well suited to 75% of my music collection, and prog/fusion/electronica I still genuinely believe sounds best on idler > digital, SET > SS, Zus > horns.

But if I truly expanded my exposure to classical and jazz (which is really my main aim in this hobby, lps and Tidal streaming), it would make a lot of sense to consider running Animas as a second system.

And I cannot believe I've just written that.

manisandher

Feb 7, 2011
www.the2ndtier.com
Love it! Great looking space Mani. The Animas are one of the few speakers I think are end-game also.

If they are right for you when you listen then they are pretty much right for life. Super addictive.

Thanks - really appreciate the comments.

Mani.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well that didn't take long, did it? ;)

Mani.
I always want the best for Ked. It's best he looks past Zu.

I only say this because I genuinely care.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I would never swap my Zus out for the Animas, my spkrs are just so well suited to 75% of my music collection, and prog/fusion/electronica I still genuinely believe sounds best on idler > digital, SET > SS, Zus > horns.

But if I truly expanded my exposure to classical and jazz (which is really my main aim in this hobby, lps and Tidal streaming), it would make a lot of sense to consider running Animas as a second system.

And I cannot believe I've just written that.
May I quote you... lol. Marc great to hear you enjoyed them. They have something very right about them.

I’d love Animas for a third system... oh my, did I really say that??? Better get back to some real world trimming down on the speaker front. I am a hopeless horn addict :)

manisandher

Feb 7, 2011
www.the2ndtier.com

Marc, I'm really looking forward to hearing your system at some point. It's great that it sounds good with the majority of the music you currently listen to.

Mani.

manisandher

Feb 7, 2011
www.the2ndtier.com
I was quite happy with this thread... until all this talk of Animas being good for 2nd and 3rd systems :(.

Reactions: christoph

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mani, I know you want to hear my tt and arm in particular. You're in for a treat, I've modded or significantly added about two dozen changes to stock tt/arm/cart/phono to make it maybe the most bespoke Salvation/Terminator out there. It makes a pretty compelling case for analog > digital.

On the flip side, there was an awful lot to be impressed with re yr Phasure gear. As you say, maybe these making the difference on my new found admiration for the Animas.

However, you'll never convince me a tt would be out of place in yr rig. I could look at that lp collection and cry LOL.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I was quite happy with this thread... until all this talk of Animas being good for 2nd and 3rd systems :(.
Mani, once my classical/jazz album listening is 51% versus 49% prog/fusion/electric jazz/electronica, Animas become the main system chez moi.

Reactions: manisandher

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Mani, that’s not order of preference... just the order of when they arrive. An Anima system would be up the top. I just can’t see me being able to afford them these days. Our dollar is weak and my need to eat is strong.

I do have the advantage that I can visit my mate whenever I need a fix.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Ahem...
View attachment 51122

They really work as excellent diffusers though.

Mani.

Congratulations on the room and system. I do not think that the LP boxes work as diffusers - probably partially as absorbers, although I do not have coefficients of absorption for hard cardboard or the typical resonance frequency of the air inside an LP box. They also look great!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Francisco, it's a crime those lps are not being played. It's a very sweet collection.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Marc, thanks for your comments on the Animas! Looking forward to hearing them myself in a few weeks - but it will be on Wavac tubes.
Keith, really looking fwds to yr take. Have no idea if Wavacs a good choice. I didn't like Traformatic on Animas at Munich.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Would be happy to answer any questions, should anyone have any.

Perhaps I will have a few - it is really nice to have someone in WBF with expertise in the Phasure player! Can you give us a brief description of such system? Does the Phasure works as a server?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Marc, for this very interesting and detailed report!

I agreed with you on the Animas we heard in Munich in 2017 with the (absolutely amazing looking) Trafomatic tube amps (fuzzy-sounding on rock). And here you liked the Animas on solid-state playing digital!

Mani -- Congratulations on a great room and an obviously great system!

PS: I wish somebody on this forum would buy Avatons!

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Munich 2011 and the Animas were fantastic playing classical.

Munich where a Modwright was used and they were bloody terrible. Really dreadful.

I have a video of the 2011 setup on YouTube somewhere.

Last edited:

manisandher

Feb 7, 2011
www.the2ndtier.com
Perhaps I will have a few - it is really nice to have someone in WBF with expertise in the Phasure player! Can you give us a brief description of such system? Does the Phasure works as a server?

Will cover the Phasure front end in a following post, when I have a bit more time - there's a lot to it. It comes with a bit of a learning curve, but once set up can be pretty much maintenance free. The sound quality is by far the best I've managed to achieve from any digital front end.

More later...

Mani.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing