274B choices?

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Although the question wasn’t directed at me, I just bought mine from ebay seller ‘nicetubesprovider’ in France. I’ve asked him to dig out some more for the WBF community. He has @150,000 tubes in stock but only a handful listed.

whistleraudio

Jan 6, 2015
I bought mine from La maison de L’ Audiophile in the eighties... when i still had hair. :)

I think I paid around the equivalent of EUR 12 each. I also bought a quartet of Telefunken ECC801S diamond. They were "extremely expensive" at approx. EUR 20 for each tube| :) This shop was a real gold mine for Japanese transformers, tubes etc. Sad they had to close.

Reactions: Walter66

whistleraudio

Jan 6, 2015
Yes, will do when I get home in the middle of the next week. I have put a reminder in my calendar.
I am on my way to the Warszaw audio show 2022 right now.:cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Sablon Audio

retired farmer

Oct 18, 2022
I bought mine from La maison de L’ Audiophile in the eighties... when i still had hair. :)

I think I paid around the equivalent of EUR 12 each. I also bought a quartet of Telefunken ECC801S diamond. They were "extremely expensive" at approx. EUR 20 for each tube| :) This shop was a real gold mine for Japanese transformers, tubes etc. Sad they had to close.
Yes funny how when one looks back on life after a decade or more how cheap stuff was compared what it is today. Might be really scary how much everything will cost in another ten years with high inflation going on. I have bought some tubes to put in a drawer just in case. Lol I am an infant in that regard to all you other fellows. Glad you were smart enough to have bought what sounds like some of the best back in the day and can still enjoy them.

Reactions: whistleraudio

retired farmer

Oct 18, 2022
Interesting I tried something on the line magnetic 124a monoblocks today. I put the Sophia electric 274b tubes into they seemed like the amp had more power now than it did with the old rectifier tubes and the old power tubes the rectifier ones seemed to make the most difference anyhow there is a tetrode triode switch o each of them the tetrode puts out more power and I was running them that way because they didn't have enough guts to run them in triod. Well I tried them I the triod mode today and they ran the speakers much better and I prefer them that way. In tetrod they are listed ar at 10-12 watts depending on what you read and triod mode from 2-5 watts. Anyhow they are noticeably less power. The beauty is much better in triod. Actually the tad power tubes I bought are going to likely go into a drawer somewhere to stay as backups. They are limited I'm base other Tham.that tonal balance seems good buy no beauty actual they quite wreck a beauty sound pair of amps. I made them more listenable with a power cord change but still not what they can be. Thinking I might try a quad of the 7581a tung sols that the one fellow on here recommended to me. The old western electric 350b tubes are the first choice but not for me at what they want for them not going in that deep. Likely they are wonderful but not going to cross that bridge. The sohpia 274b tunes have wonder swing and musicality with deep controlled bass. I really like that decision now to find a power tube I like. Open to ideas that anyone want to tell me about. Seems like most of the 6l6 reviews are about guitar amps not hi-fi. So far you fellows have gave the confidence to try the sohpia 274b tubes and that was a good choice. There are other higher dollar tubes that are likely better but I am happy with them and they were much less that the really top rated ones. Thinking along those same lines for the four power tubes I need.

Regarda

whistleraudio

Jan 6, 2015
As promised, here are a few pics of one of my Neotron 5U4G tubes. The boxes say "guerre" ie. "war". I dot not know if all the Neotron 5u4g tubes have this designation. It is very difficult to find info about the Neotron factory and manufacturing other than they where suppliers of tubes to the army and research facilities.
I saw one guy over at a French forum claiming that Neotron tubes are selected RCA tubes, and that Visseaux are Sylvania tubes. I have not been able to confirm that. My boxes says "made in France". There is also a very rare version with an anchor imprinted on the glass. Probably a naval version.

Attachments

• IMG_0084.jpeg
    IMG_0084.jpeg
    801.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0088.jpeg
    IMG_0088.jpeg
    462.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0089.jpeg
    IMG_0089.jpeg
    405.3 KB · Views: 16

JSA

Dec 20, 2020
I have ordered today another 274B rectifier from Linlai. I have already purchased Elite E-274B. Now I have pulled the plug on Linlai 274B-D Titanium version. Let's see (once it arrives) whether it is anything special.
My favourite is still Psvane ACME 274B, with Elite 274B being second. Much better than KR 274b, KR5u4G, Svetlana black plate 5U4G, and the small one 5C3S that was mentioned in Horizon thread. I also prefer Psvane ACME 274B to Psvane WE 274B Replica.
Still awaiting for Sophia Aqua 274B to be available in Europe again... - would like to try it out.

retired farmer

Oct 18, 2022
I have ordered today another 274B rectifier from Linlai. I have already purchased Elite E-274B. Now I have pulled the plug on Linlai 274B-D Titanium version. Let's see (once it arrives) whether it is anything special.
My favourite is still Psvane ACME 274B, with Elite 274B being second. Much better than KR 274b, KR5u4G, Svetlana black plate 5U4G, and the small one 5C3S that was mentioned in Horizon thread. I also prefer Psvane ACME 274B to Psvane WE 274B Replica.
Still awaiting for Sophia Aqua 274B to be available in Europe again... - would like to try it out.
Ate they not exporting tubes to Europe? Sohpia electric I mean

kjartanb

Mar 1, 2020
I use the good old potato masher tubes, in my Ladyday mk 2 - we 91 clones, in stead of 274s…and like them a lot :)
The potato mashers 5R4GY where made for the B-52 bombers.

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
My initial impression from a quick listen today is that the Neotron is a top quartile performer in my Baltic dac, approaching my fave the Brimar cv1863. Am however a bit under the weather after having had both flu and covid booster jabs, so will report in more detail in a few days time. Also have a Bendix 6106 arriving imminently.

retired farmer

Oct 18, 2022
My initial impression from a quick listen today is that the Neotron is a top quartile performer in my Baltic dac, approaching my fave the Brimar cv1863. Am however a bit under the weather after having had both flu and covid booster jabs, so will report in more detail in a few days time. Also have a Bendix 6106 arriving imminently.
Get better not nice to be under the weather

Reactions: Sablon Audio

Bbock

Apr 11, 2022
Illinois
Based on your recommendation, I’ve got a Brimar coming next week. Will compare it to the Sophia Aqua 274b(which is my top rectifier at the moment), Philips Miniwatt gz34 metal base, RCA 5u4g, RCA 5r4gy, Philips 5r4gy and Linlai 5u4g.

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Thanks @retired farmer!

@Bbock I look forward to your thoughts. My friend and I had a clear preference for the Brimar over the metal Philips and @VoicesInMyHead prefers it to his GEC U52. It’ll be interesting how you feel it compares to the Sophia Aqua. The only tubes I have had from Sophia was a quad of carbon plate 300b about 15 years ago which comfortably ousted some WE300b reissues, so clearly they have a promising track record.

Photo below of some other rectifiers auditioned.

F45EA308-B936-4D99-8EFD-E7930AB4F2BA.jpeg

retired farmer

Oct 18, 2022
Based on your recommendation, I’ve got a Brimar coming next week. Will compare it to the Sophia Aqua 274b(which is my top rectifier at the moment), Philips Miniwatt gz34 metal base, RCA 5u4g, RCA 5r4gy, Philips 5r4gy and Linlai 5u4g.
Looking forward to your finding especially against the sohpia 274b. Thank you for sharing

retired farmer

Oct 18, 2022
In my opinion one of the major differences between hi-fi and low fi is the power supply and the fact that rectifier tubes make as much difference as they do help seal my thought on that matter.

Regards

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I’ve been using the Aqua 274B in a TRP for some time and also in a just departed Supratek preamp. I also have an upgraded GG2/3 coming with one that I look forward to. I had been recommending it to Supratek users over on Agon and all have found it worthy. The Aqua is also often available at discount under the Specials tab at the Sophia’s site. My only regret is not having tried it much earlier in my tube search.

There’s been mention here of Sophia`s excellent EL34-ST. In the TRP, I ended up preferring their KT88-ST. Better synergy for my tastes. If anyone is interested in my EL34’s (grade A), which have well less than 1000 hours on them — and the Lampi is easy on tubes — feel free to PM.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing