274B choices?

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
I have read recently that a few members have purchased the Takatsuki 274B rectifier tubes with rave reviews. There seem to be many choices. The price point of the Tak 274 is well over a thousand dollars. Others like PSVane are around $250. What makes them so different in price? Does anyone have any experience with multiple 274B's that you could share your views on?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I have quite a few of them including top new production ones (Taka) and NOS ones. I guess price delta comes from the quality of materials used in production, qty. produced, P&L sheet,...normal stuff.
Performance wise Taka is the top of the crop from current production and then you have EML, PSvane, Linlai Elite and some cheaper Chinese versions. Each of them has its own presentation and I believe all those three top ones have been described in details in the forum here except maybe LinLai as its the new kid on the block (Ex Psvane engineers I would say working on the ACME series)...

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Plus there is some evidence that WE is considering getting back into tube production and likely will produce a current version of their fabled WE 274B which will definitely interest me. However having said that the Takatsuki 274B was like nothing I have ever heard as good in my system and if you go that route I can promise you that adding TungSol KT 170 will be even hugely better

Steve Williams

I have read recently that a few members have purchased the Takatsuki 274B rectifier tubes with rave reviews. There seem to be many choices. The price point of the Tak 274 is well over a thousand dollars. Others like PSVane are around $250. What makes them so different in price? Does anyone have any experience with multiple 274B's that you could share your views on?
FWIW I have a brand NIB EML 274B for sale for $250 in our classified section

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
FWIW I have a brand NIB EML 274B for sale for $250 in our classified section

Thanks, Steve...but given that I only need one, I am going to buy the Tak 274b and I have a connection. I have also settled on a Tung-Sol NOS 6550 from the 1950's and a Phillips 6550 from the 1950's that I will use ilo of a KT170.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I’d pass if they sonically are like the Tak 300bs, which are overly warm and smooth.

tubestore used to have a nice inexpensive 274b.

Steve Williams

I’d pass if they sonically are like the Tak 300bs, which are overly warm and smooth.

tubestore used to have a nice inexpensive 274b.
in the absence of a WE 274B, IMHO the Takatsuki is the king of the hill and worth every penny

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
FYI:

".....The Sophia Electric 45 mesh plates ($425 USD per pair) and the Sophia Electric Aqua 274B rectifier ($170 USD each), outperformed the more costly Emission Labs 45 mesh plates ($600 USD per pair) and the Psvane Acme 274B rectifier ($290 USD each) in my listening sessions, making them a very good value....".

I use the blue Sophia 274B in my Modwright PS 9.0 power supply where it is unmatched by anything else I've tried except an NOS 1950's GEC/Marconi/Osram U52.

Attachments

• blue tube.jpg
    blue tube.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Reactions: Willgolf

Steve Williams

FYI:

".....The Sophia Electric 45 mesh plates ($425 USD per pair) and the Sophia Electric Aqua 274B rectifier ($170 USD each), outperformed the more costly Emission Labs 45 mesh plates ($600 USD per pair) and the Psvane Acme 274B rectifier ($290 USD each) in my listening sessions, making them a very good value....".

I use the blue Sophia 274B in my Modwright PS 9.0 power supply where it is unmatched by anything else I've tried except an NOS 1950's GEC/Marconi/Osram U52.
Have you heard or tried the Takatsuki 274B in your system. I was truly stunned as to how much of an improvement in SQ a rectifier could produce. I have used 6 different rectifiers in my system. Prior to the Takatsuki I used the Shuguang gz480 with my Pacific and it was terrific. In the Horizon the gz480 was just OK whereas the Tak was sheer magic. It has become a permanent fixture in my system

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I’m thinking of buying a pair of the Sophia recti
i own a pair of princess mesh 274b tubes
if I do it will be the solid plates
having owned two pairs of mesh recti tubes
I think I like solid plates better. having said this the Sophia princess mesh are pretty tubes when glowing

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Have you heard or tried the Takatsuki 274B in your system. I was truly stunned as to how much of an improvement in SQ a rectifier could produce. I have used 6 different rectifiers in my system. Prior to the Takatsuki I used the Shuguang gz480 with my Pacific and it was terrific. In the Horizon the gz480 was just OK whereas the Tak was sheer magic. It has become a permanent fixture in my system
No, and won't if I have to buy one given the price and the stunning performance of the Sophia blue 274B. In the Modwright PS 9.0 the Sophia blue 274B is a "drop-in" replacement for a 5AR4 or 5U4G variant, so my comparison tests have been with those families of tubes. The Sophia blue 274B has bested all of them (including the Phillips metal base 5AR4) except the rare, legendary, and expensive GEC/Marconi/Osram U52 5U4G (which I have several examples of). Is the Takatsuki like the Sophia blue 274B in terms of working safely with the higher value first capacitor typically used for a 5AR4 or 5U4G tube?

Steve Williams

Great feedback. Thanks for the input. I was using a KR 5u4g prior to the Takatsuki. Beautiful sound, open and airy. The tax is full of top to bottom information and has meat on th bone that the 5u4g lacked

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
FYI:

Great article and appreciate your insight. I just got off the phone with Sophia and they provided me with more information to make my decision. They said either will work in the Horizon. The Mesh plate will provide more detail and the Aqua more natural sounding.

Last edited:

Alex Sound Technology

Jun 27, 2022
Windermere, FLORIDA
alexsoundtech.com
Hi All,

To all those interested in Takatsuki tubes (TA-300B and TA-274B) I want to say that now they are always available from us, an authorized Takatsuki distributor in US.

Price and contacts are always on our website:
https://alexsoundtech.com/takatsuki/products

Anyone who comes to us from this forum will receive an additional $50 discount on a pair of 300B or 274B!

Alex.

Attachments

• PIC-2.jpg
    PIC-2.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 17
  • PIC-3.jpg
    PIC-3.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 14
  • PIC-4.jpg
    PIC-4.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 14
  • PIC-5.jpg
    PIC-5.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 16
  • PIC-6.jpg
    PIC-6.jpg
    457.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
An update. I purchased the Sophia Electric Aqua 274B tube with the intent of trying it in my Lampi Horizon whenever I get it. I tried it this week in my Pacific ilo of the RK 5U4G. Well, I can say that this simple $199 tube definitely improved my overall SQ. It will be interesting to see what happens when I install it in the Horizon. I still could buy the take 274B down the road but for now I am very happy with the Sophia Aqua.

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
The 596 ”Freddy” with Woo adapter is reeeaal nice!

1661509252388.jpeg

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing