274B choices?

Anyoldears

May 31, 2023
It was actually the WE274B which @plasmod3 was going to bring whilst on holiday however that didn't happen, though I believe Ian has tried a brimar cv1863. In a Lampi dac (not sure what you use) it is very good however there are better-sounding options from WW2 era 4 volt rectifiers for not much money. For me, the earliest globe-shaped mesh plates are best but Tungsram pv200/600 / valvo g2004 / soviet vo-188 are all excellent solid plate options.
OK thanks Mark. Have you compared those against the Sophia Electric 273b (either Aqua or mesh)? Its to go into a Pacific btw

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Sorry but I haven’t. Is quite pricey and I was unable to borrow one locally. I have however compared maybe 25 leading options so feel free to contact me directly to chat some more

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
OK thanks Mark. Have you compared those against the Sophia Electric 273b (either Aqua or mesh)? Its to go into a Pacific btw

You might want to take a look at the most recent posts on WBF thread, "Doctor's Orders-Part Two-The New Listening Room of Steve Williams:

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013

Anyoldears

May 31, 2023
My reply was to anyoldears
Hi Highstream,

Yes thx, I saw that post. The Valvo G2504. Unfortunately they are quite pricey for me so I am looking for something a little more reasonable. If I miss out on the ultimate, thats fine. I have a Pacific not a Horizon so I know I still have room to grow! But hey, someone might uncover a hidden gem that is reasonable. Part of the reason tubes are so fun I guess!

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Hi Highstream,

Yes thx, I saw that post. The Valvo G2504. Unfortunately they are quite pricey for me so I am looking for something a little more reasonable. If I miss out on the ultimate, thats fine. I have a Pacific not a Horizon so I know I still have room to grow! But hey, someone might uncover a hidden gem that is reasonable. Part of the reason tubes are so fun I guess!

I agree, although I did try the Tak in a GG3 and not like it. The Sophia meets my sound and budget well. Not that I can afford it, but I was trying to figure out if the two ultimate rectis Steve Williams mentioned are compatible with a 5U4G/274B slot in the GG.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anyoldears

rspyder

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2021
Hi WBFs (What's Best Fellows). Just catching up on this thread. I've been following the "Tube Rolling Paradise" thread and was remiss in keeping up with this one.

A couple of questions, and one suggestion. Is the Brimar 5V4 an equivalent to the 274B and 5U4G tubes? Did Brimar make an actual 5U4G?

In the Tube Rolling Paradise thread, Steve and his merry band of exotic tube explorers recommended the Telefunken RGN2004 Klangfilm rectifier. It's a very old tube (90+ years) and hard to come by, with pricing that is not for the faint of heart. I was able to get a 1932 NOS/NIB, and I have to confess it is now my favourite in the rectifier seat of my Horizon. It requires an adapter, with built-in resistors, for both pin configuration and voltage reduction (from 5V to 4V).

The Tele RGN2004 ticks all the boxes for me: rich and truthful tonality, clarity, proper pace and swell, great bottom grip but with lower frequency articulation (i.e. layering). This 91 year old also has the speed of Usain Bolt, so great dynamics. Admittedly, I keep saying to myself; "But it's just a rectifier tube!" However, I suspect many Horizon and Pacific owners have uttered that mantra in similar circumstances.

Ray

Last edited:

Powerman

Feb 15, 2023
Well I had to find out.... I had whatever 5U4G came with DAC. Changed that to RCA JAN 5R4U GY. Big improvement. Then had to try Sophia 274B mesh. I wanted mesh cause I favor resolution over warmth and thought that was the one over Aqua. Another improvement. In every way. Even better bass. Then curiosity/press/hype got the best of me with Sophia's new Aqua 2. Had to try. It's everything the mesh is on top and resolutuon, with better mids and bass. Saying it's more warm doesn't do it... It's better, with even better realism, transperancy, accuracy. It's not slow muddled syrup. Yep, it's staying. It's a very welcome addition. Only gains, no losses.

retired farmer

Oct 18, 2022
Well I had to find out.... I had whatever 5U4G came with DAC. Changed that to RCA JAN 5R4U GY. Big improvement. Then had to try Sophia 274B mesh. I wanted mesh cause I favor resolution over warmth and thought that was the one over Aqua. Another improvement. In every way. Even better bass. Then curiosity/press/hype got the best of me with Sophia's new Aqua 2. Had to try. It's everything the mesh is on top and resolutuon, with better mids and bass. Saying it's more warm doesn't do it... It's better, with even better realism, transperancy, accuracy. It's not slow muddled syrup. Yep, it's staying. It's a very welcome addition. Only gains, no losses.
I sure Luke those tubes glad to hear you think they are great as well.

Anyoldears

May 31, 2023
On the Sophia Aqua II, they are changing something in the next manufacturing run which starts roughly in the beginning of October that "will have some improvements over the current production."

Reactions: retired farmer

retired farmer

Oct 18, 2022
On the Sophia Aqua II, they are changing something in the next manufacturing run which starts roughly in the beginning of October that "will have some improvements over the current production."
Interesting after people buy some of them and share there experiences u might have to buy a pair and have a shoot out.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
To update since I last posted, for rectis being used in a Lampi Golden Gate 2/3, I’ve obtained a 1950s AZ1 mesh, a 1938 AZ1 mesh, a 1955 Telefunken RGN2004 solid plate, a Tungsram PV 200/600 RGN2004 and a Sophia 274B Aqua II, the latter offered to me on a 14 day return. All have had 300+ hours burn in — on, playing or not — except the Tungsram and the second AZ1, the latter at about 150 hours right now. All except the Sophia have been used with adapters from a Chinese seller on eBay.

My review of the Sophia and why I returned it in favor of the first AZ1 can be found here: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...ling-review-thread.26478/page-161#post-905019. I should add that the AQ II is in the same family of sound as the Aqua I, but a noticeable improvement all around.

Of the others, the Tele solid plate was excellent, in some ways the best I’ve heard, but lacked any sweetness or warmth, even on warm recordings. And the Tungsram didn’t sound special on early play, but hasn’t gotten more than a day or two so far.

Powerman

Feb 15, 2023
Well, I'm not going to find out. Tweaks are harder for me to justify. But it's good if they keep trying to improve.

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
If you want to taste rectifier heaven, you need to step up to a Western Electric 274B or the even rarer WE 422a. I have the Sophia Electric regular and Aqua 274Bs. For the price, they are a good buy. But they are completely outclassed by the WE NOS rectifiers. But you’ll need to pay 5x the price. Here’s a very detailed comparison of rectifier tubes that you might find useful.

Reactions: retired farmer

Powerman

Feb 15, 2023
Yes, I'm on that forum and know the thread... I'm at the point... Which I'm sure most get to... That I have zero problems thinking there are better than what I have... I simply can't and won't afford it. Lampi has a DAC over 5x what I paid for my B4. I could trade my LTA in for their pre and monoblocks for 3x. I could 5x tubes, cables, power, streamer... But that's not going to happen. I have spent all I choose to, because to get significantly better, will require significantly more money.

With tubes... There are cheap new production crap. There are affordable NOS, there is high quality new production, and then there is stratosphere/unobtanium of each to the overwhelming majority in this hobby. Despite what most NOS tube snobs claim (I was one) There are new production tubes that not only compete, but they best top NOS heavyweights. That is what I found with Sophia with 274s and El34s and best of all, they are reasonably priced. That is good for the hobby.

Reactions: Miki70 and Willgolf

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
I get it Powerman. I started this thread a year ago. It seems like every month someone comes up with the next greatest recti or triode or pentode tube that everyone chases. Now, many people are chasing the adapters that go with it. To each his own. I have owned the Sophia Electric 274B for a long time. I am happy with it.

It is also like the fuse threads. I am a believer that fuses do make a difference. But I just don't want to keep chasing the ultimate fuse. So, right now I am just enjoying the tubes that I have and enjoying the music. Am I missing something? Maybe, but I am truly enjoying my music now.

Powerman

Feb 15, 2023
I get it Powerman. I started this thread a year ago. It seems like every month someone comes up with the next greatest recti or triode or pentode tube that everyone chases. Now, many people are chasing the adapters that go with it. To each his own. I have owned the Sophia Electric 274B for a long time. I am happy with it.

It is also like the fuse threads. I am a believer that fuses do make a difference. But I just don't want to keep chasing the ultimate fuse. So, right now I am just enjoying the tubes that I have and enjoying the music. Am I missing something? Maybe, but I am truly enjoying my music now.
Yes! There have been many things I have tried and honestly can't tell the difference. I have made other changes that merely gave different, not better... And yet others that were close calls that just were not that big of a deal even if you could say it was better. I'm pretty much end game for me. The best I can find with what I'm willing to spend. There are no more cheap upgrades... There is a lot of hair splitting, or significantly more capital investment. My wife has a really nice hot tub, and I have a really nice 2.1 ch. (which still cost more) That is as good as it is going to get. Anything more would require me buying her another house. ;):D

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
Yes! There have been many things I have tried and honestly can't tell the difference. I have made other changes that merely gave different, not better... And yet others that were close calls that just were not that big of a deal even if you could say it was better. I'm pretty much end game for me. The best I can find with what I'm willing to spend. There are no more cheap upgrades... There is a lot of hair splitting, or significantly more capital investment. My wife has a really nice hot tub, and I have a really nice 2.1 ch. (which still cost more) That is as good as it is going to get. Anything more would require me buying her another house. ;):D
Every Component or cord or cable costs me jewelry. Thank God I built her a house 3 years ago!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing